Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Dean Smith - a point nearer safety !

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So many angry and spitting feathers because we didn't lose and are a point nearer safety.

Some yes but the compassionate amongst us realise the sadness and futility of watching the terminally ill patient cling on for another week or two.

Kinder to have it over and done with and then we can at least we drop a few of the disinterested loanees and plan for next season with more certainty.

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Some yes but the compassionate amongst us realise the sadness and futility of watching the terminally ill patient cling on for another week or two.

Kinder to have it over and done with and then we can at least we drop a few of the disinterested loanees and plan for next season with more certainty.

You didn't think we'd win. You went there expecting a loss. If you went expecting to see a quality dominant performance then you must be the most deluded supporter on here. 

We didn't lose. The reason we didn't lose was that we defended our box and kept defending it to the end. The missed penalty could be seen as lucky but it had a lot to do with Krul getting in his head and you guys behind the goal helping.

What were you really expecting?

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You didn't think we'd win. You went there expecting a loss. If you went expecting to see a quality dominant performance then you must be the most deluded supporter on here. 

We didn't lose. The reason we didn't lose was that we defended our box and kept defending it to the end. The missed penalty could be seen as lucky but it had a lot to do with Krul getting in his head and you guys behind the goal helping.

What I would expect is at least a Shot on target against a team who are the second worse form team just ahead of us! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The reason we didn’t lose was because a striker, who probably wouldn’t look out of place in a Norwich City shirt, blazed his penalty over the bar. 
A penalty conceded because our stoic defenders were prepared to use any part of their body to defend with, even if it amounted to footballing suicide.

Edited by unique

We need to at the very least double our current points tally to stand any chance of survival. It's taken us 30 games to get 18 points, now we have 8 games to get the next 18 points, ain't gonna happen is it? You all know it, Deano knows it, the players know it, everyone in the world who has an interest knows it. So no, 1 point at Brighton isn't another point nearer survival.

Quite honestly, a point is absolutely useless to us in our current position, especially against a team badly out of form.

I would rather Norwich had lost, but put up a performance showing attacking intent and producing a brand of football that would give supporters some hope that a top half finish in the Championship next season is obtainable.

We have proved, without a shadow of doubt, that we are comfortably the worst team in the Premier League. 

Who would have thought that the stench of our last short stop in the PL could be worsened?

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

What I would expect is at least a Shot on target against a team who are the second worse form team just ahead of us! 

So you expected us to win 1-0? Or perhaps lose 4-0 with a couple of shots on target. 

I didn't expect a point or a clean sheet. Just hoped. And will hope again next weekend.

2 minutes ago, unique said:

We have proved, without a shadow of doubt, that we are comfortably the worst team in the Premier League. 

Who would have thought that the stench of our last short stop in the PL could be worsened?

So where were they going to find that performance you hoped to see?

Total delusion.

29 minutes ago, unique said:

The reason we didn’t lose was because a striker, who probably wouldn’t look out of place in a Norwich City shirt, blazed his penalty over the bar. 
A penalty conceded because our stoic defenders were prepared to use any part of their body to defend with, even if it amounted to footballing suicide.

And Tim Krul getting into his head had nothing to do with it. I'd love you to tell Tim Krul that.

21 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So you expected us to win 1-0? Or perhaps lose 4-0 with a couple of shots on target. 

I didn't expect a point or a clean sheet. Just hoped. And will hope again next weekend.

I expect a certain level of performance and effort, to stumble on a point is admirable, as to your either or scenario, yesterday could have been 4-0 very easily! Never looked like 1-0 to us. But as long as you had fun watching that then great! 👍💛💚

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I expect a certain level of performance and effort, to stumble on a point is admirable, as to your either or scenario, yesterday could have been 4-0 very easily! Never looked like 1-0 to us. But as long as you had fun watching that then great! 👍💛💚

The effort was there. What made you expect that certain level of performance if not delusion?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

The effort was there. What made you expect that certain level of performance if not delusion?

Really you think that was effort! I’m delusional! Why the need for abuse Nutty! Have a good afternoon I’m not getting into any argument with you, go after someone else! 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Really you think that was effort! I’m delusional! Why the need for abuse Nutty! Have a good afternoon I’m not getting into any argument with you, go after someone else! 

It's not abuse Indy. And you came after me🙃

If you don't think there was effort then how did we get a point and a clean sheet? Effort isn't quality. If you were expecting quality what was that expectation based on?

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes, I was expecting a loss but is it unreasonable to expect something better than the crock of s*ite they dished up ? I'm not knocking people who weren't there - it is a long way to travel for most - but even though we ground out a point our performance was so numbingly awful you really had to be there to appreciate it. I think even the Burnley game was better than this and that was the pits.

As a comparison I was expecting a loss against Man Utd and we did lose but it was an exciting game we could well have won. There was plenty of action in their half and De Gea had a great game.

Our little band's motto is DLTFSYD ( Don't Let The Football Spoil Your Day ). Yesterday we couldn't even interest ourselves in post-match beers.

I don't remember that happening too often after an unbeaten away match.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Your bird must be bald by now, all those feathers you’ve been spitting KG 😂😂💛💚

We're having it roasted for tea Indy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Take care Nutty. We all know it's that which kills us. 😉

A point is useless to us, but on the back of 6 defeats, a 0-0 away from home is an improvement (even if not in performance wise)

Remember we faced both Brentford and Leeds, both on miserable runs of defeats and we failed to get a result.

We're all but doomed, but a point is better than yet another defeat, and might give the lads a bit of confidence ahead of Burnley.

It's difficult to pick positives though. No shots on target against such a poor team, only Hanley & Krul again coming out with any respect. Yet another formation (but you could argue it packed midfield and we defended well), yet another wtf is Normann, Mclean & Gilmour in the line up.

IMO its frustrating that Sorensen and Rowe, when played, have put in better performances than most others, but still aren't getting a starting place 

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes, I was expecting a loss but is it unreasonable to expect something better than the crock of s*ite they dished up ? I'm not knocking people who weren't there - it is a long way to travel for most - but even though we ground out a point our performance was so numbingly awful you really had to be there to appreciate it. I think even the Burnley game was better than this and that was the pits.

As a comparison I was expecting a loss against Man Utd and we did lose but it was an exciting game we could well have won. There was plenty of action in their half and De Gea had a great game.

Our motto is DLTFSYD ( Don't Let The Football Spoil Your Day ). Yesterday we couldn't even interest ourselves in post-match beers.

I don't remember that happening too often after an unbeaten away match.

So how many years have you been doing this Smiffy? I've gone whole seasons with loads of performances like yesterday. You must have done too. Yesterday we got a point. I know from experience every point away from home is precious. Or have you suddenly gone all "I need to be entertained".

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

A point is useless to us, but on the back of 6 defeats, a 0-0 away from home is an improvement (even if not in performance wise)

Remember we faced both Brentford and Leeds, both on miserable runs of defeats and we failed to get a result.

We're all but doomed, but a point is better than yet another defeat, and might give the lads a bit of confidence ahead of Burnley.

It's difficult to pick positives though. No shots on target against such a poor team, only Hanley & Krul again coming out with any respect. Yet another formation (but you could argue it packed midfield and we defended well), yet another wtf is Normann, Mclean & Gilmour in the line up.

IMO its frustrating that Sorensen and Rowe, when played, have put in better performances than most others, but still aren't getting a starting place 

So what does that tell us about Deano?

23 hours ago, lake district canary said:

How else would you expect him to speak?  You want him to give up the battle? 

Appreciate your positivity but the quicker he gives up the delusion the quicker we can get on with developing a better team and the quicker he might realise we have better players than those that he’s currently selecting, e.g. Sorensen Rowe and hopefully Tzolis.   

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Appreciate your positivity but the quicker he gives up the delusion the quicker we can get on with developing a better team and the quicker he might realise we have better players than those that he’s currently selecting, e.g. Sorensen Rowe and hopefully Tzolis.   

Exactly. I would like him to say that we are looking to next season already and have identified the type of player he wants. He doesn't even have to say we are down.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

So what does that tell us about Deano?

It worries me that he admitted afterwards he chose a starting line up against Shakespeares advice, who recommended Rowe was ready for a starting place, and Smith decided against it.

It worries me that he's not giving Sorensen a chance, but you could argue it's such slim pickings who would play ahead of the Normann, Gilmour, Mclean & PLM (not counting Rupp who seems permanently injured!)

2 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

It worries me that he admitted afterwards he chose a starting line up against Shakespeares advice, who recommended Rowe was ready for a starting place, and Smith decided against it.

It worries me that he's not giving Sorensen a chance, but you could argue it's such slim pickings who would play ahead of the Normann, Gilmour, Mclean & PLM (not counting Rupp who seems permanently injured!)

Should call him Ruppture

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So how many years have you been doing this Smiffy? I've gone whole seasons with loads of performances like yesterday. You must have done too. Yesterday we got a point. I know from experience every point away from home is precious. Or have you suddenly gone all "I need to be entertained".

We both know that NCFC are in the entertainment business, and, while I don't expect a five goal thriller every week, I do expect a little more sparkle than we got yesterday. Reading the Brighton forums they aren't too impressed with their lot either.

I've had Covid related shielding issues this season so have been lucky enough not to be able to attend many away games thank God and my sympathies go out to those who have had to endure it.

It would help, only a little granted, if Stuart Webber made some sort of apology for this wretched season. But then again he's too pre-occupied trying to work out how to shin up Everest to bother with such trivialities.

I'd say he's got a pretty big mountain to climb a lot nearer to home, wouldn't you ?

12 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

We both know that NCFC are in the entertainment business, and, while I don't expect a five goal thriller every week, I do expect a little more sparkle than we got yesterday. Reading the Brighton forums they aren't too impressed with their lot either.

I've had Covid related shielding issues this season so have been lucky enough not to be able to attend many away games thank God and my sympathies go out to those who have had to endure it.

It would help, only a little granted, if Stuart Webber made some sort of apology for this wretched season. But then again he's too pre-occupied trying to work out how to shin up Everest to bother with such trivialities.

I'd say he's got a pretty big mountain to climb a lot nearer to home, wouldn't you ?

Bottom line is a point away from home is precious. I'd save the need to be entertained for another battle. What if we'd put away that chance and snatched 1-0 win. Would you have been less entertained or more? 

I still feel like there's disappointment that we didn't lose. Just can't shake it off.

Only a few more games and this season is done. There's fine margins between being entertained and not. Remember August  2018 and all the boos echoing around Carrow Road every time we passed the ball backwards. We were apparently playing the worst football ever. Then we beat Boro and you were far from convinced in the pub after. And yet by May it was said to be one of the most entertaining seasons ever. It's always darkest before the dawn 🙃

Just catching up this afternoons posts and all I can think is 'Oh dear!' reading this! 

Enjoyed watching Rotherham show some spirit and determination coming back from 2-1 down in the 95 minute to win the EPL Trophy Final. That was very entertaining, from both teams. 

40 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Bottom line is a point away from home is precious. I'd save the need to be entertained for another battle. What if we'd put away that chance and snatched 1-0 win. Would you have been less entertained or more? 

I still feel like there's disappointment that we didn't lose. Just can't shake it off.

Only a few more games and this season is done. There's fine margins between being entertained and not. Remember August  2018 and all the boos echoing around Carrow Road every time we passed the ball backwards. We were apparently playing the worst ver. Then we beat Boro and you were far from convinced in the pub after. And yet by May it was said to be one of the most entertaining seasons ever. It's always darkest before the dawn 🙃

I think the fact that a large part of our fan base accept a performance, like we saw at Brighton, is one of the reasons our culture is so poor in terms of that winning mentality... zero shots on goals and only one recognised striker in the squad. Nothing will change by getting rid of Dean Smith or Shakespear, if the DoF and our owners keep making the same mistakes. They are not good enough for our great club.

13 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Just catching up this afternoons posts and all I can think is 'Oh dear!' reading this! 

Enjoyed watching Rotherham show some spirit and determination coming back from 2-1 down in the 95 minute to win the EPL Trophy Final. That was very entertaining, from both teams. 

Good team are Rotherham, I bet they’d love some parachute payments too. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Only a few more games and this season is done. There's fine margins between being entertained and not. Remember August  2018 and all the boos echoing around Carrow Road every time we passed the ball backwards. We were apparently playing the worst football ever. Then we beat Boro and you were far from convinced in the pub after. And yet by May it was said to be one of the most entertaining seasons ever. It's always darkest before the dawn 🙃

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I think the fact that a large part of our fan base accept a performance, like we saw at Brighton, is one of the reasons our culture is so poor in terms of that winning mentality... zero shots on goals and only one recognised striker in the squad. Nothing will change by getting rid of Dean Smith or Shakespear, if the DoF and our owners keep making the same mistakes. They are not good enough for our great club.

Did you mean to quote my post Kenny?

I doubt you were expecting anything better either. It doesn't sound like you were. Are you disappointed we got a point?

You can dress up ‘ a point’ as much as you like, but to fail to register a single shot on target against a team low on confidence after losing their previous six PL games is testament to raising the white flag and accepting relegation.

Single points won’t suffice.

The fact that Brentford, a team promoted below us, beat Chelsea away from home by an impressive 4-1, makes Norwich’s efforts even more galling.

If Brighton have any sense they will buy Pukki for next season, and we will be left with Hugill leading our march to obscurity…..