Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Goodbye Rocky Bushiri

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nathan Redmond is stretching it a bit but if your desperate then so be it, Louis Thompson made it did he? Fair enough. 

If we discount all those that made it your original point stands.

51 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I thought there was a lot of hype around this guy at the start.

It's not just about if you're good enough it's about if someone thinks you are good enough and I wonder how many times coaches and staff get it wrong. 

Quite often I'd imagine.

Serious injury problems, Neil Adams said in an interview that basically the club has been desperate for him to have a 30 game season through loans to push on to the next level but he's just not been able to stay injury-free long enough. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll give you my list later but it’s a big one. 

You can but it's irrelevant to your post I replied to.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’ll give you my list later but it’s a big one. 

You can take any Under-18 or Under-23 team in the country, past or present, and the majority won't make it in the first team. You only need a couple to get into the first team to make it worthwhile, both in a financial and sporting sense. 

Our track record recently is actually better than most.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You can take any Under-18 or Under-23 team in the country, past or present, and the majority won't make it in the first team. You only need a couple to get into the first team to make it worthwhile, both in a financial and sporting sense. 

Our track record recently is actually better than most.

Every club does it but in the last half a dozen years but we have done it more than most. Give me one player we’ve signed on a free or for a few hundred grand who then became a regular first team player. We are talking young lads and not freebies from Germany. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Omibamidele we signed as a 17 year old from Ireland. Jamal Lewis we stole from Luton. Bali Mumba cost 300k. And best of all, while not “young” a mid-20s Kenny McLean cost us about 200k I think... 

😂😂

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

They don't have to make it at Norwich for it to be worth doing, loan fees and the "option to buy" will probably more than cover our outlay on them. It might not be what we as fans want, but it makes sense from a business perspective...

Exactly a scout ( from another club ) told me once PL teams do this all the time to make money buying youngsters little outlay and if it works great if not maybe a small profit on top / sell on % etc all heps 

26 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

The drummer is Reece Shearsmith.

You're right, didn't recognise him in that getup and doing further proper research (cos it was bugging me), found out the guitarist was actually played be jeremy sightings...

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Every club does it but in the last half a dozen years but we have done it more than most. Give me one player we’ve signed on a free or for a few hundred grand who then became a regular first team player. We are talking young lads and not freebies from Germany. 

Young lads signed on a free or for a few hundred grand in the last six years who have gone on to be first team regulars?

I'll give you a few; Ben Godfrey and Max Aarons are the obvious ones, plus there's also Omobamidele, Idah and Sorensen if you include them as regular first team players. 

Can you name any other Premier League club who can beat that?

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Young lads signed on a free or for a few hundred grand in the last six years who have gone on to be first team regulars?

I'll give you a few; Ben Godfrey and Max Aarons are the obvious ones, plus there's also Omobamidele, Idah and Sorensen if you include them as regular first team players. 

Can you name any other Premier League club who can beat that?

Those two already mentioned and just in the last half a dozen years. Any others? 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Those two already mentioned and just in the last half a dozen years. Any others? 

Depends on what you class as young and what you class as a first team regular. Zimmermann was 24 and Mumba isn't a first team regular yet, but even sticking with just the five I mentioned, can you name a current Premier League team who has signed more young players for less than £1m in the last six years that have played regular Premier League football?

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Depends on what you class as young and what you class as a first team regular. Zimmermann was 24 and Mumba isn't a first team regular yet, but even sticking with just the five I mentioned, can you name a current Premier League team who has signed more young players for less than £1m in the last six years that have played regular Premier League football?

Do you mean signed less young players? 

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do you mean signed less young players? 

I mean more. 

I've just named five under-22 players that we've signed in the last six years for less than a million that have gone on to get regular first team football.

Can you name a Premier League club who have signed more than five?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Serious injury problems, Neil Adams said in an interview that basically the club has been desperate for him to have a 30 game season through loans to push on to the next level but he's just not been able to stay injury-free long enough. 

Hucks made the point in his book that many people with ability just dont have the bodies to withstand the rigors of professional football. Perhaps he is one of them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

The League Of Gentlemen — The most 'local' couple I've ever seen ❤️

"Fear not my sweetness....no one shall have our shares.".......

We really are the epitome of a local club for local people, we don’t want strangers here! 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Hucks made the point in his book 

Reading that book at the moment so that's quite enough spoilers thank you very much! 😂

So we have..

Redmond, Thompson, Godfrey, Maddison, Aarons, Buendia, Omibamidele, Lewis, Mumba. Idah, Sorensen and Zimmermann so far...

And there's still 21 days left in January.

I really think you'll smash it again Midlands👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cornish sam said:

They don't have to make it at Norwich for it to be worth doing, loan fees and the "option to buy" will probably more than cover our outlay on them. It might not be what we as fans want, but it makes sense from a business perspective...

Some folks in this thread really aught to pay more attention to this post.

In reality, each time a player goes out on loan we collect a fee. Usually, especially with youngsters, their wages are also covered - or a large chunk of them are.

As a result, even the players that we paid something for have often recouped the outlay by the time they come to either move on or be good enough for our first team squad.

As for players we have signed as youngsters and collected a fee for etc...

Godfrey, Maddison, Buendia was 21, Aarons has been mentioned though he was on a free, if that's the case we need to add Lewis to that list as well. It's never an exact science, you are investing in a player you see potential in - you're gambling. Perhaps more so with youngsters than with senior players. And even then... there are as many big money flops at top sides as there are at mid table sides, it's just the big sides can more easily compensate for the mistakes in terms of the financial risk.

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nathan Redmond is stretching it a bit but if your desperate then so be it, Louis Thompson made it did he? Fair enough. 

Which part of the £8 million transfer profit and Play-off final goal at Wembley - and play off semi-final goal against Ipswich -  didn't you like? 

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So we have..

Redmond, Thompson, Godfrey, Maddison, Aarons, Buendia, Omibamidele, Lewis, Mumba. Idah, Sorensen and Zimmermann so far...

And there's still 21 days left in January.

I really think you'll smash it again Midlands👍

Interesting to see what criteria you use for made it, as there’s players on that list who clearly haven’t?

Thompson, Idah, Sorensen, Mumba. Where have they all got regular football? I hardly think a few 5 minute appearances can be classed as regular football 🤣🤣

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Saddest part is he's not even played a single game for us. Could he really do any worse than our current defence? And with Kabak going at the end of the season... Rather unfair he never got a chance

Hoping they recall Famewo for next season!   Better option for the future but apparently he’s on a buy option too!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

4 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Interesting to see what criteria you use for made it, as there’s players on that list who clearly haven’t?

Thompson, Idah, Sorensen, Mumba. Where have they all got regular football? I hardly think a few 5 minute appearances can be classed as regular football 🤣🤣

TBH I'm surprised it's not been changed further to have to be a player from Belgium who went on to make a couple hundred appearances for our club 😂😂