cambridgeshire canary

FA Cup removes replays in 3rd and 4th round

Understandable I guess in the circumstances but I have always thought the 2 clubs drawn against each other should be able to choose whether to have a replay in the event of a draw or not.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's a scandal, FA Cup replays under the lights at Carrow Rd, can't beat 'em.

Who remembers 1973 when we had 2 replays against Leeds?

Got married the day of the first match. Said we would have to go to Leeds if there was a replay. Honeymoon in London split in half.

Travelled north and picked up by my Aunt who was the mother of Sir Robert Ogden, a wealthy businessman. She lived in Guiseley.

She picked us up in her chauffeur driven Roller to take us to the ground. On the way, a few miles from the ground, we saw a chap running. We stopped to pick him up. He must have thought it was Xmas driven to the ground in a Roller.

We drew 1-1 but got smashed 5-0 in the 2nd replay.

I think they should remove them from all rounds permanently. Why did clubs want extra time removed from the League Cup? Because of the fatigue it causes amongst squads for league fixtures, and replays mean exactly the same.

Not many managers take the League, FA or EFL cups very seriously. The money in them isn’t of much value to us, and most teams of our level want to save their first choice players for the league, so use draws against teams of the same or lower level as opportunities to try and give their reserves some experience, and only use their first choice players in draws against teams of a higher level to try and give them some more experience, which I think is what causes cup “upsets”

It was our (supporters) FA Cup. Third Round day was pretty much the biggest day of the season. It's rubbish now. We let it happen to a certain extent because we bought into what Sky TV thought was important. I guess they could draw out the teams with the proviso the lower ranked team would be at home. But I reckon it's beyond saving.

• Like 2

With the uncertainly surrounding covid issues in the PL and EFL with no clear end in sight it was the only sensible thing to do to avoid both cup and league fixture chaos sadly.

The reduction in perceived importance to the FA Cup is the biggest change in Football in my lifetime . 

The 3rd round was a massive day . The draw , the build up , the game , the replays .

It’s been happening for years but it’s still a shame . 

Does anyone remember the night we lost to Bradford City at home in a replay ? One of the worst nights of my footballing life . Thinks they were Div 4 at the time ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It was our (supporters) FA Cup. Third Round day was pretty much the biggest day of the season. It's rubbish now. We let it happen to a certain extent because we bought into what Sky TV thought was important. I guess they could draw out the teams with the proviso the lower ranked team would be at home. But I reckon it's beyond saving.

Yep, some of my favourite away days were FA Cup 3rd round matches.

43 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The reduction in perceived importance to the FA Cup is the biggest change in Football in my lifetime . 

The 3rd round was a massive day . The draw , the build up , the game , the replays .

It’s been happening for years but it’s still a shame . 

Does anyone remember the night we lost to Bradford City at home in a replay ? One of the worst nights of my footballing life . Thinks they were Div 4 at the time ? 

43 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

1976! I was 10. I’m not watching that Midlands - I don’t want to go back over that again. Didn’t Charlie Boyer have a goal disallowed? Or that’s just all part of the nightmares I had since . 

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I get that.

But when did we become scared of fixture pile ups...

Nutty I’ve read this morning that Tuchel says the fixture pile up is a “health and safety issue” .

Should we suggest players wear hi- viz jackets and hard hats? 

• Haha 1

It's taking away potential revenue for the small clubs to be more convenient to the big clubs. Savage really. 

9 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Nutty I’ve read this morning that Tuchel says the fixture pile up is a “health and safety issue” .

Should we suggest players wear hi- viz jackets and hard hats? 

What a load of rubbish! If they don't want to play their 1st team, they can pop their youngsters out.