Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don’t know if anyone follows Russell Martin at Swansea to see how he’s getting on? I’ve been keeping an eye on their results and I see they have a young striker Joel Piroe who seems to be banging on the goals. 

He’s Dutch, 6ft 1 inches tall, age 22, two footed and has decent movement. 

I was wondering if anyone has seen him play and what you thought of him? 
 

He might be a good purchase in January and let Idah go the other way on loan. If we do get relegated at least we have a striker who can score in the Championship who’s name isn’t Pukki.

Edited by Jersey Canary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sure will need another striker by January, unless Adam Idah has a conversion akin to that of Saul and suddenly realises his strengths with a bout of confidence-filled goal-getting.

There must be a lower league gem waiting to be discovered. One that it would be beneath the big boys even to consider when they can spend billions on the ready-made. A sort of flat-pack striker who can be assembled into a Premier League force and one that we could afford.

When I watched the Binner game this week, I purposely kept an eye on those two Rotherham strikers, Smith and Ladapo, wrongly thinking that they were raw youngsters. Ladapo was a handful, but too old.

This boy might fit better.

I can think of a few strikers that we have signed from the lower leagues in the past and who went on to become Carrow Road success stories ... Drinkell, Earshaw, Ashton, Ekuko .... but things have changed a lot since even Ashton's time and scouting seems more thorough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I can think of a few strikers that we have signed from the lower leagues in the past and who went on to become Carrow Road success stories ... Drinkell, Earshaw, Ashton, Ekuko .... but things have changed a lot since even Ashton's time and scouting seems more thorough.

I assume you mean Earnshaw, who came from WBA, and was a Welsh international when we signed him. 

Was interesting to see Tzolis used ahead of Idah against Southampton on Saturday. 

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piroe and Ben Brereton are the stand out options from the Championship in that they are both young and both players you'd think wouldn't be on huge money. Obviously Mitrovic is the standout striker at that level but would cost an absolute bomb.

Brereton seems to be the more physical of the two but I can't claim I've seen a huge amount of either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I assume you mean Earnshaw, who came from WBA, and was a Welsh international when we signed him. 

Was interesting to see Tzolis used ahead of Idah against Southampton on Saturday. 

And I'm pretty sure was also the most expensive signing by a Championship club ever at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

And I'm pretty sure was also the most expensive signing by a Championship club ever at that time.

When we signed him? Not sure about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We sure will need another striker by January, unless Adam Idah has a conversion akin to that of Saul and suddenly realises his strengths with a bout of confidence-filled goal-getting.

There must be a lower league gem waiting to be discovered. One that it would be beneath the big boys even to consider when they can spend billions on the ready-made. A sort of flat-pack striker who can be assembled into a Premier League force and one that we could afford.

When I watched the Binner game this week, I purposely kept an eye on those two Rotherham strikers, Smith and Ladapo, wrongly thinking that they were raw youngsters. Ladapo was a handful, but too old.

This boy might fit better.

I can think of a few strikers that we have signed from the lower leagues in the past and who went on to become Carrow Road success stories ... Drinkell, Earshaw, Ashton, Ekuko .... but things have changed a lot since even Ashton's time and scouting seems more thorough.

We have Pukki who's getting back to his best and we did just spend a record sum on a striker, although he is being used more as a winger.

 

Idah on the other hand.. Very much needs a loan away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

And I'm pretty sure was also the most expensive signing by a Championship club ever at that time.

WBA signed him for £3m rising to £3.5m with add ons. 

We signed him for £2.75 again rising to £3.5m. No mention of record fees. 

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

We have Pukki who's getting back to his best and we did just spend a record sum on a striker, although he is being used more as a winger.

 

Idah on the other hand.. Very much needs a loan away.

Longer term, I think striker is quite a high priority though.

Pukki is great but we're still so reliant on him. I think Sargent is likely to be a winger/attacking midfield type rather than an out and out striker as he progresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Piroe and Ben Brereton are the stand out options from the Championship in that they are both young and both players you'd think wouldn't be on huge money. Obviously Mitrovic is the standout striker at that level but would cost an absolute bomb.

Brereton seems to be the more physical of the two but I can't claim I've seen a huge amount of either. 

Blackburn paid £7m for Brereton so what are they going to want for him to sell, double that?

Can't see us dropping £15m in January to be honest, would be too much of a financial risk for this club unless Newcastle write us out a cheque for £40m for Max Aarons. But the media seem to think that Newcastle only have a budget of £50m in this January window, and I highly doubt a right back will be their priority... more likely they'll be out to buy some goals.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Blackburn paid £7m for Brereton so what are they going to want for him to sell, double that?

Can't see us dropping £15m in January to be honest, would be too much of a financial risk for this club unless Newcastle write us out a cheque for £40m for Max Aarons. But the media seem to think that Newcastle only have a budget of £50m in this January window, and I highly doubt a right back will be their priority... more likely they'll be out to buy some goals.

Yeah I'm more thinking in the summer to be honest. Trying to take a teams top striker in January is always going to be costly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piroe is superb. Like every player he has games where he drifts in and out of it but he certainly knows where the net is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I assume you mean Earnshaw, who came from WBA, and was a Welsh international when we signed him. 

Yes that must be him.

The same Robert Earnshaw who had played almost two hundred games in various lower leagues for Cardiff before we signed him from Championship bound WBA, where he had played forty odd games in the Premier League, mostly as a substitute.

He was a Welsh international, though. As was Ollie Burton before him, and Ched Evans after him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes that must be him.

The same Robert Earnshaw who had played almost two hundred games in various lower leagues for Cardiff before we signed him from Championship bound WBA, where he had played forty odd games in the Premier League, mostly as a substitute.

He was a Welsh international, though. As was Ollie Burton before him, and Ched Evans after him.

All true but its a fair point that we didn't sign him from the lower leagues as you suggested. 

Looking further down the leagues I don't see any potential 'Ashton' types kicking about in League One where the top scorers all appear to be slightly older journeymen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

All true but its a fair point that we didn't sign him from the lower leagues as you suggested. 

Looking further down the leagues I don't see any potential 'Ashton' types kicking about in League One where the top scorers all appear to be slightly older journeymen.

Yes, I'd assumed he'd come straight from Cardiff, and needed to check.

My very bad.

As a lower league striker, Earnie was top class but was another who never quite managed anything more than moderate success in the top league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see we're linked with striker Keinan Davis, currently at Villa, in the BBC gossip this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes, I'd assumed he'd come straight from Cardiff, and needed to check.

My very bad.

As a lower league striker, Earnie was top class but was another who never quite managed anything more than moderate success in the top league.

Oh dear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

but things have changed a lot since even Ashton's time and scouting seems more thorough.

You are aware Earnshaw was signed after Ashton, as his replacement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Oh dear. 

Cheap shot before 10 am Greavsyo? The man who never made a mistake never made anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

As I have said elsewhere.

Transparent (very.)

As I have said elsewhere, I'm not partaking in your self indulgent games. 

Let's stay on topic, and if you could stick to football facts that would be marvelous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cheap shot before 10 am Greavsyo? The man who never made a mistake never made anything. 

Morning Corkio, we all make mistakes, at any time of day. 

Hope you're well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Morning Corkio, we all make mistakes, at any time of day. 

Hope you're well? 

I am indeed, cheers. Noticed you and Broado having a little , how you say 'special time' this past day or so.  Life's too short lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

As I have said elsewhere, I'm not partaking in your self indulgent games. 

Let's stay on topic, and if you could stick to football facts that would be marvelous 

The inside of your mind must be a really exhilarating place if you have need to score points over such a trivial matter, and then even attempt to milk it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I am indeed, cheers. Noticed you and Broado having a little , how you say 'special time' this past day or so.  Life's too short lads.

Only today.

He bears a long-time grudge, poor chap. It festers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I am indeed, cheers. Noticed you and Broado having a little , how you say 'special time' this past day or so.  Life's too short lads.

Excellent, glad to hear it. 

And totally agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The inside of your mind must be a really exhilarating place if you have need to score points over such a trivial matter, and then even attempt to milk it.

Behave 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

WBA signed him for £3m rising to £3.5m with add ons. 

They were in the Premier League when they signed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...