1 hour ago, king canary said:

When we signed him? Not sure about that.

I'm pretty sure I read that at the time but my memory is a little hazy. And I can't think of anyone bought by a club in the Championship prior to January 2006 that would have cost more off the top of my head.

20 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm pretty sure I read that at the time but my memory is a little hazy. And I can't think of anyone bought by a club in the Championship prior to January 2006 that would have cost more off the top of my head.

I had a look at the reports from when we signed him and it was mentioned it was the highest fee of that deadline day but nothing about being a record Championship transfer which feels like it would have been discussed. 

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

As a lower league striker, Earnie was top class but was another who never quite managed anything more than moderate success in the top league.

Him and Jordan Rhodes are the ultimate examples of too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Prem.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

According to Transfer Market Craig Short moved from Notts County to Derby County for £3.38M in 1992, but after I posted this I realised they were in the top tier of English football then......oops!!........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

6 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

According to Transfer Market Craig Short moved from Notts County to Derby County for £3.38M in 1992........

It was reported as £2.5 million at the time, not sure if TransferMarket factors inflation in.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Blackburn paid £7m for Brereton so what are they going to want for him to sell, double that?

Can't see us dropping £15m in January to be honest, would be too much of a financial risk for this club unless Newcastle write us out a cheque for £40m for Max Aarons. But the media seem to think that Newcastle only have a budget of £50m in this January window, and I highly doubt a right back will be their priority... more likely they'll be out to buy some goals.

There are eight games just between now and the start of the transfer window, let alone the end of it. I could see circumstances under which we would be prepared to make a big signing, provided it didn't upset our wage structure. But we would have to do well from now on.

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It was reported as £2.5 million at the time, not sure if TransferMarket factors inflation in.

I edited my post anyway as Derby were in the top tier at the time, spent a bit of time on this and I think you are right that at the time the Earnshaw transfer was the highest transfer fee paid  by a second tier club, unless somebody else knows otherwise 😀.........

3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I edited my post anyway as Derby were in the top tier at the time, spent a bit of time on this and I think you are right that at the time the Earnshaw transfer was the highest transfer fee paid  by a second tier club, unless somebody else knows otherwise 😀.........

In 1992, Derby County paid £2.5 million for Notts County central defender Craig Short, at the time – and for five years afterwards – the most expensive player to be signed by a club outside the top flight, and indeed one of the highest fees paid by any English club for a player at the time.

---

Wonder who broke the record in 1997? The plot thickens...

The West Bromwich manager did, though, later indicate that he would allow Earnshaw to leave the club if they recouped the £3.5m fee Gary Megson had paid Cardiff for his services 17 months ago.

Norwich agreed to pay £2.75m up front and a further £750,000 subject to appearances and promotion. 

---

It looks like Earnshaw was the highest at the time, records seem difficult to pin down though.

35 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I think you were right first time in that Derby were second tier and it was the record, but I think we paid more for Earnshaw.

It was obviously years ago so it could well be my memory playing tricks on me, but I'm certain I either heard or read that was the case with Earnshaw, but like @kirku has said, it's difficult to find anywhere that confirms that.

However, it's equally difficult to find a second tier club that paid more than we did for Earnshaw prior to January 2006, which makes me think I am right.

33 minutes ago, kirku said:

In 1992, Derby County paid £2.5 million for Notts County central defender Craig Short, at the time – and for five years afterwards – the most expensive player to be signed by a club outside the top flight, and indeed one of the highest fees paid by any English club for a player at the time.

---

Wonder who broke the record in 1997? The plot thickens...

Actually, I've got the answer (it's a slow day at work).

I think I am wrong, although potentially correct on a technicality. Earnshaw was the most that a "Championship" club had paid for at that time, but that basically means that no one in the 04/05 season, or in the summer of 2005, signed a player more than we paid for Earnshaw, as prior to that it was Division One, not the Championship. So maybe that's what I recall hearing.

It looks like the 1997 answer is Paul Merson, who Boro signed for over £4 million but the record was then broken first by Lee Hughes signing for Coventry for £5,000,001 in summer 2001 and then again later in the season when Man City signed Jon Macken for in excess of £5 million.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think I am wrong, although potentially correct on a technicality. Earnshaw was the most that a "Championship" club had paid for at that time, but that basically means that no one in the 04/05 season, or in the summer of 2005, signed a player more than we paid for Earnshaw, as prior to that it was Division One, not the Championship. So maybe that's what I recall hearing.

It looks like the 1997 answer is Paul Merson, who Boro signed for over £4 million but the record was then broken first by Lee Hughes signing for Coventry for £5,000,001 in summer 2001 and then again later in the season when Man City signed Jon Macken for in excess of £5 million.

I did look at Man City and did pick up on Macken but made the big mistake of believing Wiki which stated he moved to the Premier League but of course they were in the second tier at the time.......

51 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It is weird to remember how inflated fees were for a bit in the 90's- I was looking for early 2000's but that period was marred by the ITV Digital crash which damaged some clubs finances quite badly.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is weird to remember how inflated fees were for a bit in the 90's- I was looking for early 2000's but that period was marred by the ITV Digital crash which damaged some clubs finances quite badly.

Yep, from what I gathered when I was looking earlier, the Macken fee wasn't actually exceeded by a Championship club for over 10 years, when Blackburn smashed it by signing Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield.

Edited by canarydan23

5 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Some of the sources I used didn't have data pre-2005, and now I realise why. I never considered that a simple name change would be the cause. Pretty ridiculous, if you ask me.

Glad we got to the bottom of it, though. Nice one.

As an aside Paul Merson mentioned his move to Middlesbrough in the documentary about his gambling addiction, he'd admitted the move was all about money and not football, because of his gambling/gambling debts, he reckons when he joined up with them for pre season training he roomed with Clayon Blackmore whose first words to him were "what the f**k have you signed for us for"........

12 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

I see we're linked with striker Keinan Davis, currently at Villa, in the BBC gossip this morning. 

Just media talk since it’s a Villa link!   If that happened or the other link of Hourihane, it would demonstrate a complete lack of ambition which goes against our grain!   Just as much chance of a forum poster becoming the next manager!