Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Liverpool Sporting Director Leaves End of Season!

23 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Absolutely no chance.

Might be the only chance of us making a Profit on his signings this season if he signed them for Liverpool under 23's !

Well Webber did say in the interview with Davitt his future contract position would be sorted in the next international break 🤔😉

Webber said in the Jake Humphrey podcast that he worked for Liverpool as a scout or something along those lines, so would be no surprise to me.

He is also very well established within the German director/coach style relationships so would slide straight in.

Hope I'm wrong as he will be a massive loss, has performed miracles here - Sure this season has been tough on the field, but there's plenty of seeds in the ground, it's not as though we're heading towards an aging squad or anything.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I think he has really harmed his CV this season. He has gambled a lot of money and nearly every signing has been average and therefore losing value. He did very well with Pukki and Buendia but since signing Hugill has got nearly all the signings wrong.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Webber said in the Jake Humphrey podcast that he worked for Liverpool as a scout or something along those lines, so would be no surprise to me.

He is also very well established within the German director/coach style relationships so would slide straight in.

Hope I'm wrong as he will be a massive loss, has performed miracles here - Sure this season has been tough on the field, but there's plenty of seeds in the ground, it's not as though we're heading towards an aging squad or anything.

God its nice to read something rational.👏👏👏

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I used to be a Webber fan but my faith in him has been seriously dented after several poor transfer Windows. I'm curious to know what the miracles are you think he has worked? Buendia and Pukki top signings we will forever be grateful for but I don't see many others. 

He has used the money raised from selling players Mcnally purchased to help fund infrastructure improvements (yet still no stadium expansion) but he has failed with the majority of his own youth purchases. I understand the bond scheme which paid for the training ground upgrades was also not his idea. 

Genuine question as maybe I am forgetting some of his better aspects. 

Webber has done a fantastic job here in developing the training facilities and the squad. That was in the context of NCFC and the position we were in. The next step is leading a club where they already have those facilities and a competitive transfer budget. Webber is still to show he has what it takes in that context.

I would be very surprised if he lands a top job, but another Norwich like club then he'd be in big demand.

2 hours ago, priceyrice said:

I used to be a Webber fan but my faith in him has been seriously dented after several poor transfer Windows. I'm curious to know what the miracles are you think he has worked? Buendia and Pukki top signings we will forever be grateful for but I don't see many others. 

You read about it everywhere with the change in mentality he's instilled in staff and players to be the best at what they do.  Not to just say it, but strive for it - that was his underlying message when joining the club.  If you listen to the podcast it's quite an insight in how his mind works:- https://uk-podcasts.co.uk/podcast/the-high-performance-podcast/stuart-webber-the-vital-importance-of-patience-pre

Which gets us on to the facilities that's been improved, and newly developed for which many of the new players and loans have mentioned how impressed they were and it was a factor in moving.  Previous to that we were claiming we had great facilities but the truth is they were run down and leaking roofs.

He's advanced the clubs PR.  Coverage of every match through youtube/social media outlets, the production is excellent and puts us on the map as a brand which is needed to attract players who enjoy the exposure.

Add into that a wealth of up and coming talent from around Europe that we've picked up on relatively low transfer fees each successive season.

Brought Farke in, allowed him time to develop a brand of football and an identity of what Norwich is - this has been massive for us as supporters, I know everyone loves to harp on about money and that we should look for investment, but for me being morally ran correctly while playing attractive football has been incredible, and what I align to being the biggest miracle factor.

And let's not forget that he's delivered two championship titles in 4 seasons.

image.png.b7994610c857341e519a7ff0333fb325.png

In 2 decades we've only managed it once previously in 03/04, and we all became rather Blaise about holding the trophy last season - shows how far we've come.

He's also been very clear with fans and staff about his expectations of establishing us as a top 26 team.  That remit has been proven a success based on the past 4 seasons.  Who knows how this one will finish though! lol 🙂

That's not even mentioning the likes of Pukki, Emi coming in.  We have half a dozen seeds that could all flourish similar in the coming years, plus we've had two of the brightest young British talents (Skipp and Gilmour) come in on loan on back to back seasons.

If he goes, we should start to worry.  If he stays then we know that the "Top 26" mantra is something he feels can be bettered, let's hope.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what any new sporting director could actually achieve there. They already have a brand new training ground; hugely successful academy; have won the title and the european cup in recent seasons. What is the measure of success for anyone who goes there - a bit like following Ferguson as a manager. And the last place Webber would want to go, surely?