Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Burnley - match report

By popular demand....well by one person anyway.....

Just got back from the match and not read anything on here and couldn't listen to canary call, so all I've seen or heard was a rather shabby BBC report on Radio 5 that declared Burnley had chances to win the match, which implied that we didn't, which is a travesty of the situation. 

My thoughts? As a performance I thought it was gutsy, feisty, hard fought, passionate, at times exciting and we could and maybe should have scored. Totally deserved the point and the fans loved it with the relief of finally getting a point and seeing a really good performance.

So good performances all over the pitch, Normann, Kabak and Gianoulis caught the eye particularly - and Rashica when he came on when he gave their left back a torrid time. You could see Sargent gives absolutely 100% too and was a handful and good at pressing and tracking back. 

Late in  the second half Kabak and Sargent both had gutsy runs which really lifted the fans and showed intent - and there were two good shots from Aarons and Lees-Melou in the first half.   Normann was excellent, drawing a good save from the Burnely goalie and he hit the bar with a cross shot - he looks a real player.

If you compared this game to two years ago when were bullied to a 2-0 loss, this was quite the opposite. We were well up to the physical challenge today, which was really good to see. No bullying by Burnley then - we simply met them head on - and overall it was a good lively 0-0.

There were faults, of course, too many misplaced passes still, looked a bit nervy passing around at the back - but we had a safety first policy in place where Krul quite often kicked long, so mixing it up a bit, which I thought was good practice and made us a bit less predictable at the back - Burnley could not afford to press too much as a result.  Their penalty shouts were dealt with well by the ref - there was one that might have been given had their player not been running away from the goal at the time, but overall the decisions looked fair for both teams and the ref looked to me as if he was trying to let the game flow.

Farke summed it up at the end when he came over to our cheering fans with his hand over his heart. It was that kind of game and we did very well under the circumstances of having no points and with confidence low, to battle and give as good as we got - and with a bit of luck migt have even got all three points.

I've probably missed out some important stuff, but being my first match for quite some time, I enjoyed every minute of it - the team turned up and gave us the performance we wanted to see - and the fans were brilliant too.

We're up and running!

OTBC

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14
  • Confused 1

Thank you Lakey, a fair summary.

I assume your stop at Chubby's Grill and a brawl at Accrington Stanley accounts for the tardiness of your report, but you're forgiven. 

• Haha 2

At last something to build on and just at the right time with no game next week. We are seeing some the the new guys beginning  to find their feet and it’s going to give the whole squad a boost.

Nice one LDC.

I think the fans showed that we just want to see a bit of grit. We showed that we can compete with the most physical of teams today and the supporters showed their appreciation.

A point, a clean sheet and a huge dollop of confidence gives us something to build on.