Sign in to follow this  
Tommo

A sense of perspective

A lot of posts already about yesterday’s result but we seriously do need a reality check and sense of perspective. We would have all loved a shock win or a point out of the game but for me we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves. 

key points for me are:-

1. We have had a lack of pre season due to covid for match fitness, trying different personnel together and formations 

2. new players and a tweaked formation - we need time to bed this in 

3. having to readjust to not being the dominant possession based attacking team like our previous championship season when up against the calibre of opposition like liverpool 

4. liverpool are an unbelievable team and on their day they can simply turn over teams and inflict a heavy result. 3-0 defeat wasn’t heavy

5. we kept going , showed spirit and should have reduced the deficit to 2 goals

6. it’s a 38 game season - for us to survive in the prem we need 13/14 victories which is achievable

7. the window isn’t shut yet - we remain active for a CB and CDM which will undoubtedly help to plug some of our shortcomings yesterday 

all in all let’s forget about yesterday and move on, there are no easy games in this league so let’s stop the negativity and look forward to the next game ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommo said:

A lot of posts already about yesterday’s result but we seriously do need a reality check and sense of perspective. We would have all loved a shock win or a point out of the game but for me we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves. 

1. We have had a lack of pre season due to covid for match fitness, trying different personnel together and formations 

3. having to readjust to not being the dominant possession based attacking team like our previous championship season when up against the calibre of opposition like liverpool 

4. liverpool are an unbelievable team and on their day they can simply turn over teams and inflict a heavy result. 3-0 defeat wasn’t heavy

6. it’s a 38 game season - for us to survive in the prem we need 13/14 victories which is achievable

7. the window isn’t shut yet - we remain active for a CB and CDM which will undoubtedly help to plug some of our shortcomings yesterday 

all in all let’s forget about yesterday and move on, there are no easy games in this league so let’s stop the negativity and look forward to the next game ! 

I’d take 9/10 wins right now, should be more than enough. How many teams in the bottom half win 13 games? 

Cor, so many excuses for a poor performance! Out thought and out fought without our opponents really needing to try. 

I remember hearing / seeing similar excuses after every loss in all our premier league ventures. 

4 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Cor, so many excuses for a poor performance! Out thought and out fought without our opponents really needing to try. 

I remember hearing / seeing similar excuses after every loss in all our premier league ventures. 

Not all excuses. The were some immediate valid reasons for the difference yesterday. Omadebele's tonsillitis ruled out any chance of three at the back for instance.

4 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Cor, a knee jerk reaction after the first game of the season. Out fought? You weren’t watching the same game as me.

I remember hearing/seeing similar overreactions..yesterday.

If you can’t see positives from yesterday, give up now, football (and Norwich city)  isn’t for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Was it a 'poor performance' though? 

We were pretty evenly matched apart from the goals. It's fine margins but there's no shame in Rupp being a little less clinical than Salah, and that's ultimately what the difference between the two teams boiled down to.

Our season was never going to be defined by this match. There are more positives than negatives from it. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Was it a 'poor performance' though? 

We were pretty evenly matched apart from the goals. It's fine margins but there's no shame in Rupp being a little less clinical than Salah, and that's ultimately what the difference between the two teams boiled down to.

Our season was never going to be defined by this match. There are more positives than negatives from it. 

It was a 6/10 at a push. If the new signings are half as good as we hope Norwich will be fine. 

40 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Stop being so damned reasonable Tommo! You know how much it antogonises those true fans determined to squeeze every last drop of negativity out of our performance. Never let reality get in the way of their opportunity to make a defeat pressage the apocalypse. Clearly, no points this season, and Delia will emigrate to the Bahamas with all the cash.

Thought we generally played well. Their first came at the point we had got a foothold into the game and it was a caused by in part a lucky deflection.

They were the better team overall, no question.

However, to not take some serious positives from that is churlish. 

Unfortunately we are now playing probably a better team next week. 😐

Thought generally we played well, but the concern was with the formation. Generally we seemed very narrow defensively, their front 3 kept max and Dimi busy at times and their fullbacks got into lots of space out wide. 

It always seems to take Farke a few games to work out our best team and formation - in both promotion years we have had slow starts - in 18/19 we started with Pukki as a Number 10 behind Rhodes. With our fixtures we will almost certainly have another poor start, but we need to keep behind the team until it is mathematically impossible to stay up - and then still back the team as that is what supporters do.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Looking at the start the other promoted sides had it puts into perspective our poor effort yesterday 

Brentford and Watford were playing teams that are beatable though. We were playing Liverpool who had finished last season in amazing form and with the best centre half in the world back in the team. Perspective needed here - we wont stay up or go down based on Liverpool, Citeh, Man Yoo or Chelski results. If any of those teams turn up they probably beat every other team in the world. And Liverpool turned up yesterday.