Sign in to follow this  
ScouseSte

Stuff to do before the match

15 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Great player Mick Channon. As a kid I used to copy that thing he did with his arm when he scored.

And although it was a bit before my time, Justin Fashunu's goal against us was one I used to try to copy.

I was there for that! 

I think everyone has suggested the vast majority of things that are to take in. You could wander over to the market to experience that, get chips off the market. You can't go in it, but the Guildhall is close by.

There is the dinosaur trail on at the moment as well. It may be fun for the nippers depending upon whether they like T-rex's or not... https://www.break-charity.org/gogodiscover/

If you just want them to burn up some energy there is Gravity, a trampoline type space - https://www.gravity-uk.com/riverside-norwich it's part of riverside so literally 5mins walk from the ground.

The Cathedral is great. Worth a walk around, has a nice cafe should you wish to grab a cofee and snack, or even lunch.

Always loved Liverpool as a city. Some of the best people I have met on my travels hailed from there. This time two seasons ago I was on holiday in Majorca. I went on my own to the "British" bar in the town we were in expecting to be the only Norwich fan. I was bar perhaps one family huddled in a corner. A really nice bunch of chaps, I want to say a father, two sons and a son in law (all adults mind), beckoned me to join them, they were as humble as anything despite being Liverpool fans (bar one, who was Man City) never rubbed in the result and were incredibly complimentary.

As for London - yup. If it had of been Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal that day in Majorca, I would have remained sat on my own and no doubt with constant "Norwich are sh!t" comments from plastic fans from Southend, Slough or Coventry or something.

Hope you enjoy your day out, apart from the result, either way I still won't touch a Sun newspaper... or anything to do with them, nor should any football fan IMHO. 

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

So was I, in the Barclay, behind the goal..........

Same here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

There were 75,000 of us in the Barclay, behind the goal that day, I think it is the same 75,000 that saw The Sex Pistols at West Runtion Pavilion (minus me) 😀.........

We used to stand in the river end, but that was full, so we got sent to the Barclay. I was there with my dad, and his mate. Dad's mate went thought the turnstile first, then me, and the steward then closed. I turned round and shouted a desperate "Daaaaaaddd, and the steward re-opened to let him in, but a few other city fans also got in, in front of dad, and ruffled my hair on the way past. I was then ushered to the front of the stand so I could see.

Happy days & different times. 

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

As for London - yup. If it had of been Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal that day in Majorca, I would have remained sat on my own and no doubt with constant "Norwich are sh!t" comments from plastic fans from Southend, Slough or Coventry or something.

Thanks for that, some good suggestions that'll keep the kids happy. It's been a crap year for all kids and want them to have a good day, win or lose.

As for the above, we have a lot like that. Most from the home counties, fans manufactured from FSG's global LFC FAM# (cringe).

I think most Scousers are humble, salt of the earth. But then us reds have that Shanklyism built into us where the opposition are ****e whether it's Gillingham, Southend, Real Madrid or Barcalona. That mind set is more at the match though, rather than in the pub, where we tend to act more like normal humans.

But that's where the global LFC FAM# (cringe) go wrong. They think they have to be like us then get it badly wrong.

Even over stuff like Hillsborough, where Everton get it more than most of our fans. The global LFC Fam# (cringe) try too hard.

But thanks for the kind words and advice on your City. Looking forward to a good day out.

19 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I was there for that! 

Did you go the 85 League Cup Final? That must have been a good one.

Used to love Wembley when they had the two tiers of terracing, although the swaying in the upper tier was scary, with the massive steps.

17 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I was there for that! 

So was I, I was in the south stand on the halfway line, so I was behind him when he hit it, then ran round into the Barclay in time to see it hit the back of the net.😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScouseSte said:

Did you go the 85 League Cup Final? That must have been a good one.

Used to love Wembley when they had the two tiers of terracing, although the swaying in the upper tier was scary, with the massive steps.

I was indeed there for that too. My first time at Wembley. 

Remember the grass bank on the outside. 

New wembley is great, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia and prefer the old one, unless just my romantic memories. 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

So was I, I was in the south stand on the halfway line, so I was behind him when he hit it, then ran round into the Barclay in time to see it hit the back of the net.😉

Out of reaction, so have a 😂

Forgot about the grass bank. It was great to sit off there in the sun, I always seemed to bump into lads I knew back from school who I'd never seen for ages. The atmosphere was crap though as soon as they put the seats in.

Not a big fan of new Wembley. Even when we played Everton in the cup semi, it felt hollow. Maybe that's more to do with the FA destroying the Cup though. In the modern era, the atmosphere was always better when they played the final at Cardiff. Then again, the semi's were still at neutral grounds and the FA hadn't finished their job of completely degrading the FA Cup.

But 85 must have been brilliant, especially as Ipswich had been to Wembley quite a bit, in the few years before it.

9 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Forgot about the grass bank. It was great to sit off there in the sun, I always seemed to bump into lads I knew back from school who I'd never seen for ages. The atmosphere was crap though as soon as they put the seats in.

Not a big fan of new Wembley. Even when we played Everton in the cup semi, it felt hollow. Maybe that's more to do with the FA destroying the Cup though. In the modern era, the atmosphere was always better when they played the final at Cardiff. Then again, the semi's were still at neutral grounds and the FA hadn't finished their job of completely degrading the FA Cup.

But 85 must have been brilliant, especially as Ipswich had been to Wembley quite a bit, in the few years before it.

And we beat them in the semi on the way there....... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Did Ipswich do quite well in the early 80s?? They never mention it...... 😏

Stars for it too Ken! 

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I was indeed there for that too. My first time at Wembley. 

Remember the grass bank on the outside. 

New wembley is great, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia and prefer the old one, unless just my romantic memories. 

I was also there and that was also my first time time at Wembley. Being a curmudgeonly old git I prefer the old grounds to the new ones (new football stadiums all appear to be the same design, a bit like modern cars - Audi blob, BMW blob etc etc).........

I hate to be negative, but if you've got a 7 and 8 year old with you, getting from the station, to the cathedral and then back to the football, in about an hour will be a real route march for the kids.

Not particularly exciting, but I just take them down the riverside and get them a burger.

Edited by Badger
Corrected errors

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

I hate to be negative, but if you've got a 7 and 8 year old with you, getting from the station, to the cathedral and then back to the football, in about an hour will be a real route march for the kids.

Not particularly exciting, but I just take them down the riverside and get them a burger.

Train gets in at about 13:30 so got about four hours before kick off. But with our ticket office being as **** as usual, I expect we'll end up having to get duplicates from the ticket office, so about three hours.

Should be enough time to have a walk around the Cathedral area or take them on this dinosaur thing shouldn't it? It is tempting to meet up with a few old faces and leave them in a beer garden with a coke each though. Nah, can't do that, they eat and drink enough **** as it is, they need to get some exercise. I'll make them jog it.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Platinum Lace is always worth a visit if you visit again without the kids. 

Too classy for me. Try the Pen & Wig if you go to Anfield.

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Norwich cathedral and the area around it is beautiful and well worth a look. Entry to the cathedral is free, but they do ask for a voluntary donation if you would like to give one. It's pretty close to the railway station too - approx a 10 minute walk. 

I believe ‘Dippy’ (the diplodocus from Natural History Museum) is there to see right now - worth it for the kids.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I take it only gentlemen are allowed entry? 

Think it's been closed now, come to think of it. Can't think why.

19 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Too classy for me. Try the Pen & Wig if you go to Anfield.

Funnily enough there's a pub called the Wig & Pen very close to Norwich cathedral. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Funnily enough there's a pub called the Wig & Pen very close to Norwich cathedral. 

The Pen & Wig was once a trendy wine bar. They soon realised we're not into trendy wine bars and turned it into scally heaven. Been closed down now.

I'd be highly surprised if the Wig & Pen had anything but the name in common with the Pen & Wig.

Check out Pub & Paddle, you can rent a canoe very close to the station, take as long as you like to enjoy the City from the river.

Young ones seem to enjoy it, plus you can get a pint at the pub stops along the river.

Everyone's a winner.

8 hours ago, ScouseSte said:

Train gets in at about 13:30 so got about four hours before kick off. But with our ticket office being as **** as usual, I expect we'll end up having to get duplicates from the ticket office, so about three hours.

Sorry, I was being dumb - I forgot it was a late kick off😳 Plenty of time.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sorry, I was being dumb - I forgot it was a late kick off😳 Plenty of time.

Don't be too hard on yourself badger, we are all out of routine.........