Sign in to follow this  
ScouseSte

Stuff to do before the match

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Remember The Stranglers getting very angry when people were spitting at a gig in Great Yarmouth. 

Also remember being chased by a load of rockers after it finished.

Was that the one where Hugh Cornwell and the roadies spanked someone on stage?  I remember him sticking a banana up someones **** for spitting as well, I think. Got a feeling that was in France or somewhere though.

1 hour ago, ScouseSte said:

Was that the one where Hugh Cornwell and the roadies spanked someone on stage?  I remember him sticking a banana up someones **** for spitting as well, I think. Got a feeling that was in France or somewhere though.

No - threat rather than real violence.

It was very much part of their image. As I recall their bass player, Bruneau(?) was reputed to have a black belt. It was in the early days, Rattus Norvegicus, or something like that.

3 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I promise I won't mention Damned, Adverts, Stranglers, Penetration, Buzzcocks, Banshees, Dead Boys, Subway Sect, Motorhead, SLF, The Jam, UK Subs, the Boys, 999, XTC, TRB, Stranglers, Skids, Undertones, the Fall, Adam and the Ants, all original incarnations 😃

My band supported Vic Goddard a few years ago at the Water Rats in Kings Cross. I think we were better 🤣 Can't remember if that was the gig that @Herman came to see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

It was very much part of their image. As I recall their bass player, Bruneau(?) was reputed to have a black belt. It was in the early days, Rattus Norvegicus, or something like that.

Jean-Jacques Burnel. He's 69 now but trust me, you still wouldn't want to take him on!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

My band supported Vic Goddard a few years ago at the Water Rats in Kings Cross. I think we were better 🤣 Can't remember if that was the gig that @Herman came to see.

I remember you talking about this at the time 👍

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

5 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Yep, I definitely saw you but it got a bit "hazy" for Vic Goddard's set.😀

Who did I see your guitarist playing for? UK Subs??

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Jean-Jacques Burnel. He's 69 now but trust me, you still wouldn't want to take him on!

I don't think I would ever want to take him on (or anybody else for that matter) 😃.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Yep, I definitely saw you but it got a bit "hazy" for Vic Goddard's set.😀

Who did I see your guitarist playing for? UK Subs??

Not sure if you ever mentioned that-he was playing bass in a punk band called The Blissetts (named after Luther of course) and he's supported the Subs as well as the Angelic Upstarts, Anti Nowhere League, Cockney Rejects, 999 and Peter & the Test Tube Babies.

He's now joined another band called Knock Off-they're doing a number of gigs with the Rejects or the Subs in the next few months.

5 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Not sure if you ever mentioned that-he was playing bass in a punk band called The Blissetts (named after Luther of course) and he's supported the Subs as well as the Angelic Upstarts, Anti Nowhere League, Cockney Rejects, 999 and Peter & the Test Tube Babies.

He's now joined another band called Knock Off-they're doing a number of gigs with the Rejects or the Subs in the next few months.

What is it with gigs and hazy memories.🤔

It was the Blissetts backing up the Subs in Welwyn. 👍

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

What is it with gigs and hazy memories.🤔

It was the Blissetts backing up the Subs in Welwyn. 👍

Can't have been that hazy if you recognised him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

They were either first or second on to be fair.😀

I've just spoken to Andy-he doesn't think the Subs have ever played Welwyn and I can't see any gigs there on their archive site. Was it at The Green Room? If so, it was probably 999. they played there in July 2015 and July 2016.

Still pretty amazing if you recognised a guitarist from an unknown band at a gig in 2013, playing a different instrument with a completely different band 2 or 3 years later!

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Strangler's bassist Jean-Jaques Burnel is a 7th degree black belt in Shidokan karate....A mate of mine who at the time lived on the outskirts of Cambridge in the 1980's had Mr Burnel as his martial arts mentor/instructor...... 

My mate said that 'JJ' was a reet 'ard b@stard...... 

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Strangler's bassist Jean-Jaques Burnel is a 7th degree black belt in Shidokan karate....A mate of mine who at the time lived on the outskirts of Cambridge in the 1980's had Mr Burnel as his martial arts mentor/instructor...... 

My mate said that 'JJ' was a reet 'ard b@stard...... 

If you’ve ever then live, you’ll probably recall that JJ seems to prowl on the stage, often practising his karate kicks while playing.

One of my friends is in Straighten Out, the best Stranglers tribute band around. Watching Shaggy the bass player, at 15 stones at least, trying to replicate JJ’s stage persona is a sight to behold 🤣

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

I've just spoken to Andy-he doesn't think the Subs have ever played Welwyn and I can't see any gigs there on their archive site. Was it at The Green Room? If so, it was probably 999. they played there in July 2015 and July 2016.

Still pretty amazing if you recognised a guitarist from an unknown band at a gig in 2013, playing a different instrument with a completely different band 2 or 3 years later!

Definitely at the Green Room on a warm, summer night and one of the smaller bands from the punk era, so that is probably it.👍

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

Definitely at the Green Room on a warm, summer night and one of the smaller bands from the punk era, so that is probably it.👍

I've only been there once-saw 2 local-ish bands, Brocker and the Zipheads. Seems like a lovely little venue, although I was driving so I didn't get the full vibe. No gigs lined up according to their website, I hope it has made it through COVID.

The pub is still alive and well but not sure when they will get gigs up and running. The legendary Horn in St.Albans kept going and is selling tickets again so hopefully it will thrive as there aren't many venues left in the area.

17 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

i was at that too. and Split enz.

As a young testorone filled teenager I saw Suzie Quatro at the West Runton Pavi. Leather outfit wearing rock chick, whats not to like?

And was in the Barclay for the Justin Fash goal - I remember seeing his face when it when. He was totally shocked. Shame that Clough ruined him

On 12/08/2021 at 21:40, Greavsy said:

Ste, do come back irrespective of the result and report back please. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We started to make our way to the Castle, but ended up going to the Cathedral. Had a good walk about, went in and seen Dippy. I was a bit disappointed that I ended up sitting outside the ground with a bottle of coke each. Was hoping to sit them in a beer garden but they had their shirts on.

But the people outside the pub could see it was ridiculous. I took them to a park, they had a good day. Thanks again.

I thought you were a bit nervous first half, but started the second half well and looked like a decent team. Just got caught out, pushing up.

Yers 'll do okay. Nice one for the help.

• Thanks 1