Sign in to follow this  
ScouseSte

Stuff to do before the match

Alright,

Saturday isn't exactly going to be my first time in Norwich, but my usual ritual has been to come out the station, find the nearest pub then get **** faced before the match.

Getting a bit old now, taking kids, etc. etc.

So I thought it was about time I did something a bit more cultural and grown up before getting angry or ecstatic over men kicking a ball.

Was thinking of taking the kids to the Castle. Any good? If not, any other suggestions? Train is due in at 13.30 so haven't got that long, but got a bit of time to take in a bit of the city. 

Prediction: We'll win 2-1 but welcome back and all that.

Norwich cathedral and the area around it is beautiful and well worth a look. Entry to the cathedral is free, but they do ask for a voluntary donation if you would like to give one. It's pretty close to the railway station too - approx a 10 minute walk. 

9 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Alright,

Saturday isn't exactly going to be my first time in Norwich, but my usual ritual has been to come out the station, find the nearest pub then get **** faced before the match.

So I thought it was about time I did something a bit more cultural and grown up before getting angry or ecstatic over men kicking a ball.

Was thinking of taking the kids to the Castle. Any good? If not, any other suggestions? Train is due in at 13.30 so haven't got that long, but got a bit of time to take in a bit of the city. 

I like the Castle but I've not been in years so it might be **** now

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Norwich cathedral and the area around it is beautiful and well worth a look. Entry to the cathedral is free, but they do ask for a voluntary donation if you would like to give one. It's pretty close to the railway station too - approx a 10 minute walk. 

Dippy the dinosaur is there currently too I beleive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just checked, the keep is closed 

Isn't that the purpose of the keep? 😂 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Alright,

By the time you’ve walked to the castle it will be time to walk to the ground. Have a pint at the Nelson and get the kids some pop + crisps.  Here’s  hoping it’s a long train ride home 😉

Thanks lads. I'll have a look at the Cathedral and the area I think. I'll have an 8 year old lad and 7 year old lad with me so I mightn't stay in there long, they might get me thrown out. I've read that the area around it is very nice.

Seen you need to get tickets in advance for the Castle but it's not much, might give that a go as well. Much appreciated for the suggestions.

15 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Alright,

Welcome back to the fine city, I hope your lads behave themselves!

Not sure how old your bairns are, but if they're in single figures then they might enjoy the dinosaur trail around the city at the moment... if the weather's nice then it's a good city to walk around, loads of historic buildings and stuff: https://www.break-charity.org/map-trail-faqs/

You could probably tick off most of them in a couple of hours, and see the castle, cathedral and Elm Hill (famous medieval street) while you're at it: https://www.break-charity.org/media/yrmpbjzs/ggdm-0037-0621-break-gogodis-digital-trail-map-v2.pdf (the train station is in the bottom right).

I predicted 3-1 Liverpool... we've had a ton of players out with Covid, and had to cancel two pre-season friendlies... lost 3-0 at Newcastle last weekend, so we're hardly in ideal shape despite our good work in the transfer market. Realistically, we just want to be competitive... although last time the odds were stacked this much against us, we beat Man City 3-2... just sayin' 🙂

Just read the other posts. Will go cathedral and give castle a miss.

Liverpool still haven't posted the tickets so there'll probably be a massive queue to pick up duplicates.

Norwich is a long train ride at the best of times. And although I said 2-1 to us, I have got one of those feelings about it.

First time I went to Norwich we drew 3-3, and you went on to win  more trophies than us. Bonus point for getting the year right.

Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Here’s  hoping it’s a long train ride home 😉

I guess the question is whether home is actually  Liverpool ? 

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I hope your lads behave themselves!

I hope so too, first time for everything I suppose. 7 and 8, fight and argue over everything.

Just now, ScouseSte said:

I hope so too, first time for everything I suppose. 7 and 8, fight and argue over everything.

Haha I was more referring to the 2,500 travelling fans getting lagered up all afternoon, rather than your two little scamps! 😉

Enjoy your trip, fella.

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Stopping over in London with some mates, train back to Liverpool Sunday.

Don't like London.

5 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Just read the other posts. Will go cathedral and give castle a miss.

Liverpool still haven't posted the tickets so there'll probably be a massive queue to pick up duplicates.

Norwich is a long train ride at the best of times. And although I said 2-1 to us, I have got one of those feelings about it.

First time I went to Norwich we drew 3-3, and you went on to win  more trophies than us. Bonus point for getting the year right.

Thanks again.

1984-85. That was my dad's first ever game at Carrow Road, just after the family moved to Norfolk. The game was on August bank holiday weekend if I remember correctly?

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Haha I was more referring to the 2,500 travelling fans getting lagered up all afternoon, rather than your two little scamps! 😉

Enjoy your trip, fella.

As if 2,500 travelling Scousers would get bevied. Never happens.

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Don't tell him Ste, FenwayFrank the Felon....... 

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Enjoy your trip, fella.

Don't mention scamps Wolfie, uncle Fred willl be along..... And that  never ends well. 

2 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

As if 2,500 travelling Scousers would get bevied. Never happens.

Not judging... I intend to be far from sober for most of the day! Just hope the Liverpool fans are in good spirits and are respectful to the city... hopefully being back on the road will be more of a party atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

1984-85. That was my dad's first ever game at Carrow Road, just after the family moved to Norfolk. The game was on August bank holiday weekend if I remember correctly?

I was a young lad and can't remember if it was bank holiday, it was first match of the season so might have been. I was excited over Paul Walsh replacing Dalglish. Scored on his debut. He was definitely, definitely going to be the new Kenny.

The thing I remember about the 85 League Cup Final was the debate over whether Chris Woods or Chris Turner would be the next England goalie. I used to love all cup finals at that age (well, try not to think of the European Cup Final from that year).

Was at last match on the Kop when you beat us.  Footballs never been the same since.

38 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Alright,

Depending on your kids ages there's a place in the Mall you've got retro replay and boom bar battle.. keep you all entertained for a bit of time 

7 minutes ago, ScouseSte said:

Don't like London.

Who does? It's an overrated ****hole 😁

Liverpool is a big game in my family. I was born in Whiston, but left when I was 4 hence I support Norwich, but my mum, aunt, cousins etc are all reds. Enjoy the game, got a feeling for a 1-1 👍

21 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Dippy the dinosaur is there currently too I beleive. 

Yup well worth a look.....a real boneafind suggestion....

1 minute ago, ScouseSte said:

I was a young lad and can't remember if it was bank holiday, it was first match of the season so might have been. I was excited over Paul Walsh replacing Dalglish. Scored on his debut. He was definitely, definitely going to be the new Kenny.

The thing I remember about the 85 League Cup Final was the debate over whether Chris Woods or Chris Turner would be the next England goalie. I used to love all cup finals at that age (well, try not to think of the European Cup Final from that year).

Was at last match on the Kop when you beat us.  Footballs never been the same since.

Sadly I'm a bit too young to remember 1985... I was only 5 and didn't really get into football until a couple of years afterwards. My dad often tells the story about his first trip to Carrow Road, and what an amazing match it was... Mick Channon equalised with a last-minute penalty, and he was hooked. He grew up in Essex and used to watch (and play) loads of footy, but never had a 'proper' team until he came to Norwich. Can't wait to get back in the stands with him on Saturday, 37 years after his first visit! 🙂

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not judging... I intend to be far from sober for most of the day! Just hope the Liverpool fans are in good spirits and are respectful to the city... hopefully being back on the road will be more of a party atmosphere.

ha ha, was being sarcastic. Usually are in good spirits unless we're playing a Manchester team, Everton, some of the London clubs, Leeds, Italian teams. Well, we're not always in good spirits to be honest.

On Saturday, 90% will be. Usually a few lads 16-24 a bit naughty, but I was young once. Not really bad spirits, more like, erm, how do I put it? Scallying about.

I'd say most of our travelling support is getting on a bit now though, same at Anfield to be honest. Avereage age must be knocking on 50.

1 minute ago, ScouseSte said:

ha ha, was being sarcastic. Usually are in good spirits unless we're playing a Manchester team, Everton, some of the London clubs, Leeds, Italian teams. Well, we're not always in good spirits to be honest.

On Saturday, 90% will be. Usually a few lads 16-24 a bit naughty, but I was young once. Not really bad spirits, more like, erm, how do I put it? Scallying about.

I'd say most of our travelling support is getting on a bit now though, same at Anfield to be honest. Avereage age must be knocking on 50.

Ah, every club's got them. Fingers crossed for a great game and a great atmosphere. Hope you and your lads enjoy your trip.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sadly I'm a bit too young to remember 1985... I was only 5 and didn't really get into football until a couple of years afterwards. My dad often tells the story about his first trip to Carrow Road, and what an amazing match it was... Mick Channon equalised with a last-minute penalty, and he was hooked. He grew up in Essex and used to watch (and play) loads of footy, but never had a 'proper' team until he came to Norwich. Can't wait to get back in the stands with him on Saturday, 37 years after his first visit! 🙂

Great player Mick Channon. As a kid I used to copy that thing he did with his arm when he scored.

And although it was a bit before my time, Justin Fashunu's goal against us was one I used to try to copy.