Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

NCFC league predictions 20/21 and ‘hot takes’

I was a bit annoyed I missed out on this same thread last season so had nothing to look back on when it got bumped after we’d won the title - so here we are. 

Obviously things can change between now and September in terms of incomings and outgoings, so feel free to come back and revise it if there’s some serious transfer business at the end of the window. But there will be no changing of predictions based around our first few performances/results permitted, so don’t go peaking at our scores against Liverpool, Man City and Leicester which already would’ve happened by then…. 

Looking at the current squad, I’m leaning towards a bottom 3 spot, however on the basis 1 or 2 more players are going to come in - specifically the CDM we all know we desperately need - I will bump my prediction up to 17th place.

So another nervy tense season, with lots of hard luck stories along the way, but I think we have a bit more nous about ourselves this time around to turn some of those hard luck stories on its head - something we did rather well last year. I think it’s going to go right to the last weekend.

Also thought it would be good to do some more specific ‘hot takes’ too… Here are a few of mine to get the ball rolling, trying not to be super obvious about all of them-  

• PLM and Gilmour to prove to be the no. 1 and no. 2 signings of the season.
  • Dowell to struggle and fall almost completely out of the first team picture in a similar way to how Hernandez did this most recent campaign.
  • Cantwell to have a very good go at filling Buendia’s boots.
  • 2 out of 3 of Tzolis, Rashica and Sargent to struggle for up to the first half of the season. I can’t see all three hitting the ground running, and those who need time to get up to speed could fall out of the picture a little bit in terms of regular starts which will leave us massively reliant upon Pukki and Cantwell, as well as a Rupp or PLM type being preferred as a more physical option in the 10 spot (as we saw last season). With Pukki likely being the no. 1 striker, Sargent may struggle to find rhythm. I also think we’re unlikely to ever see Cantwell, Tzolis and Rashica all on the pitch at once (not very often anyway), so with Todd a cert, that leaves one of Tzolis and Rashica to potentially struggle to make inroads initially. However, injuries throughout the season will obviously allow for plenty of rotation, hopefully they all come good by the end of it but I do feel one will end up subpar. To be specific I’m going to say Sargent to be a bit of a disappointment, just so TVB gets to bump his (ahem) ‘scouting report’ come the end of the season… This is all completely speculative however as all three signings look really promising in their own right - it’s just a natural outcome with the amount of attacking signings we’ve made.
  • Omobamidele to cement himself as a first choice CB by the end of the season with a 19/20 Godfrey-like reputation, but only after coming into the team due to an injury lay-off to Hanley / Gibson - who I think will both acquit themselves admirably for the opening phases of the season with plenty of fan support
  • Buendia to have an absolute mare at Carrow Road and throw a fists-to-the-ground South American type strop when he gets some harmless stick for it, with some shades of Paul Lambert but much less spite (more hope than a prediction this one)

I will look forward to insulting myself in about 10 months time. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

I’ll go one better Hank and say 16th. 

A couple of predictions:

- Sorensen to get very little time on the pitch, and to play in a number of different positions, never being given time to settle in one. His reputation on here will climb in inverse proportion to his minutes played.

- The resurgence of Onel Hernandez, probably starting off with a couple of late substitute appearances, but forcing his way into the starting 11. (Like your Emi prediction, there’s as much hope as expectation about this one).

- Dowell to disappoint in open play, but to score several spectacular goals, possibly becoming second or third highest scorer, giving Farke a dilemma about whether to pick him or not.

Also, the Binners to finish a glorious 10th in League 1.

Sargent to win the golden boot, scoring 24 goals - all with his left foot. 

17th.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Looking at the current squad, I’m leaning towards a bottom 3 spot, however on the basis 1 or 2 more players are going to come in - specifically the CDM we all know we desperately need - I will bump my prediction up to 17th place.

So another nervy tense season, with lots of hard luck stories along the way, but I think we have a bit more nous about ourselves this time around to turn some of those hard luck stories on its head - something we did rather well last year. I think it’s going to go right to the last weekend.

I’d sign up to pretty much everything you posted, especially the above. As it stands, for me we’ll go down in 18th or 19th but it will be much, much closer points-wise than in 2019-20.

Last PL stint, I predicted relegation in 17th place - injuries and Restart made it much worse in reality. This time there are no obvious basket cases just the inexperienced Bees. we are still so light compared to the other teams. lots of new players from abroad who are new to the country, club, coach, teammates, and the level of football.

By all accounts, DF’s building a variant tactical approach while working with plenty of new personnel. Preseason prep has been unusually disrupted, and the exciting new squad haven’t actually played a match together. The former pair of Premier League Achilles heels in the form of our defence and DM are still incomplete (in depth and quality).

Appalling VAR and refereeing will once more routinely annihilate goals and points.

However, there’s still quiet promise in the -on paper- higher average quality in the squad, and a chance for many, new and old, to click / shine. With the additions in those glaring back positions we could be competitive with  a chance of survival. The club have done DF proud so far, within what is actually affordable, and it’s  encouraging that this time  we’re looking at adjusting our tactical range to PL reality.

Can’t wait till Saturday… and I hope I can look back and laugh at my early, evidence-based pessimism in the months to come

Edited by GenerationA47

Reading through last year's prediction at the end of the season was pretty amusing, as everyone made at least a couple of shockers.

My positive predictions for the season:

- Billy Gilmour will have a cracking season, similar to Skipp last year, and will be POTS.

- Pierre Lees-Melou will prove to be a bargain and become a bit of a cult hero.

- Ben Gibson will have an excellent season and prove himself as a Premier League defender.

- Max Aarons and Todd Cantwell, if they both stay, will continue to flourish and improve further.

My negative predictions for the season:

- Pukki won't score as many goals as he did last time. Maybe 8-10.

- Sargent will win plaudits for his work rate and commitment but will be criticised for a lack of output.

- Rashica and Tzolis will need time to settle and won't hit the ground running, but may come good later on.

- Our defence will be better than last time and our midfield will perform, but we may struggle slightly for goals.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

26 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

- Sorensen to get very little time on the pitch, and to play in a number of different positions, never being given time to settle in one. His reputation on here will climb in inverse proportion to his minutes played.

That's a good one, I agree completely. 

• Like 1

Going to join in on the prediction fun! 

Final league position: 15th, staying up and and to get at least 12 points from a possible 36 vs the "big 6"

Top Scorer: Got to back Pukki, but I think it will be a close run thing with Idah making a late run for our golden boot.

Player of the Season: Grant Hanley, if he can keep fit I think the captain will be vital for us and will earn the fan favorite title for his whole hearted performances.

Negative Prediction: Neither Todd or Max will be with us at the start of our next campaign, one to leave in January. 

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's a good one, I agree completely. 

Yep I thought the same thing - for all his qualities we saw at LB last season I just don't think he has the tenacity or energy to be our anchor man / ball winning midfielder type which some have previously pipped him for. 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yep I thought the same thing - for all his qualities we saw at LB last season I just don't think he has the tenacity or energy to be our anchor man / ball winning midfielder type which some have previously pipped him for. 

And I just think that whilst he's a decent player, there will be too much competition for him to get a proper run in the side.

I think we'll put up a very good fight this season unless we get a serious litany of injuries in one position again. I do think people are forgetting how discombobulating losing three centre-halves at once is simply as then the midfield is badly compromised, and also how relatively rare losing three centre-halves at once is too. I do think we'll have prolonged spells where we don't win and some begin to panic a bit.

I think we'll have spells where we're considered "the best footballing side in the bottom half" and generally have phases in games where we look close in terms of quality of football played to top teams, but with less firepower up top. I think we'll concede somewhat fewer goals compared to last time. Whether we score more depends on the new lads hitting the ground running.

At the moment, if you asked me for a position, I'd say 17th or 18th. I'm hoping Sorensen makes the step up and I think he just could. He might not be a "chase and tackle all the things" defensive midfielder like Skipp, but he does put a foot in and looks to pick up interceptions, and he's got an eye for a forward ball Skipp wouldn't match when the ball is turned over.

For me it's 50:50 if we stay up or not. But if we do go down again, I'm sure we'll go down fighting this time.

Pukki to struggle a bit this season as tiredness and age begin to catch up with him 

Dowell to be the surprising star and make the CAM position his own 

PLM - to be a sensation and prove a bargain 

Rashica - to disappoint (really hope not - just a gut feeling) 

defence to struggle without skipp to protect them- ajer to flourish at Brentford and annoy us all 

either 13th or 20th - we never do it by half 

It's still touch and go, even with CB and CDM coverage. I think at the moment we will be very much an unknown quantity so early points, even against the big boys, will be vital. I think 16th is possible.

I think we will surprise Liverpool on Saturday too - we might well still get beaten, but it will be a lot closer than their fans seem to think.

My hot take is that Villa will struggle - for the last 5 seasons, it has been "stop Grealish and you beat Villa"; this season it will be "stop Buendia and you beat Villa". It's much easier for PL level players to stop Buendia playing as we discovered. They have almost no other creative midfield option in their squad.

51 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And I just think that whilst he's a decent player, there will be too much competition for him to get a proper run in the side.

This. I like him, I think he has the ability to be a great player, I just worry he won’t be given the chance to prove it. If we hadn’t be promoted, this would have been his season. 

One more from me - Hanley to be a rock at the back, and earn many plaudits from various sources. Despite that, there will continue to be several posters on here who refuse to see it.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This. I like him, I think he has the ability to be a great player, I just worry he won’t be given the chance to prove it. If we hadn’t be promoted, this would have been his season. 

Hear what you're saying. But he has just been given an improved contract, an extra year with another year's option. 

Maybe he's more in Farke's first team plans than we think? 

17 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Hear what you're saying. But he has just been given an improved contract, an extra year with another year's option. 

Maybe he's more in Farke's first team plans than we think? 

I hope so.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

With the new season kicking off in just two days and the squad nearing its final form, it's time to make a wild stab in the dark about our chances. Will we survive? Will we surprise people? Or will we fail again?

Here goes...

Heart says 14th

Head says 16th

I think we'll be fine. We've massively improved the squad but kept the core together. The philosophy is well and truly embedded throughout the club and there is a real sense of unity. We will be bigger than the sum of our parts and capture a few big scalps along the way to relatively comfortable survival after an understandably tricky start.

What do *you* think?

54 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Without another CB and quality addition at CDM, 18th.

52 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Most likely another relegation fight.

52 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Agree defensive side of the squad still needs a major overhaul 

51 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Heart and head say 12th

39 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

To be fair, even if we were mid-table at Christmas we'd still be looking at the bottom of the table and worrying.  So yes, we're so desperate for survival that it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think we'll either be rock bottom or around 12-14th.  Too many unknowns as yet, but with the core of Gilmour and Lees-Melou through the middle there's a really sold base for us to build around.

Just comes down to who is going to tick in the attacking third.  I can't see us fighting for 17th, it'll be highs or very lows.

37 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

This is one for lakey. 

35 minutes ago, Robornio said:

1st

Then the Champions League the following season.

Oh no, wait… that’s Football Manager.

17th in reality. Anything else is a bonus.

32 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Heart says: 10th 💛💚

Head says: Listen to.your heart

10th it is then👍

Thought I should migrate all of the posts from @Petriix's thread for the season predictions so to avoid the convolution and any predictions being missed come the end of the season - as well as opening the floor for any 'hot takes' from you guys??