Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Jack Grealish- The most expensive player in PL history?

https://www.si.com/soccer/manchestercity/transfer-rumours/manchester-city-ready-to-break-premier-league-transfer-record-for-jack-grealish-pursuit-to-intensify-in-next-few-days

Money money money, must be funny in a stonking rich owners world.. 😉

On a serious note however anyone starting to think this is all starting to get silly? I mean smaller clubs have always hard a hard time competing against the best/richest clubs and all but it's pretty much going to become an impossible job soon.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

He can't be that good, he can barely get in the England team. 😉

The money required to be competitive at the bottom end of the PL table is just stupid (increasingly at Champ level too). Pretty much removes any hope of meaningful silverware from the vast majority of teams, with even the "fairy-tale story" of Leicester's title being massively bankrolled.

Agree with LH(Again) its been on an increasing (financially, decreasing sustainability) scale for years .

I hoped that Covid would have helped realign things, and burst the bubble a little. unfortunately it appears when finances get hit, its the people lower down who suffer the biggest impact. 

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Agree with LH(Again) its been on an increasing (financially, decreasing sustainability) scale for years .

I hoped that Covid would have helped realign things, and burst the bubble a little. unfortunately it appears when finances get hit, its the people lower down who suffer the biggest impact. 

All Covid has done is demonstrate the difference between the stinking rich and the rich Greavsy.

Indeed - It annoys me that the 'big' clubs bleat on about having no / less money due to covid (furlough the (with respect to them) lower end staff, then sign players for £XXXM's. How is that ever right? 

Lower league clubs going out of business, and really struggling. 

Its really boils my pi$$. 

FPP has been suspended because of teams struggling with the pandemic, so rich owners can do what they want this season, its why Villa can spend so much despite making a loss every year. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Money money money, must be funny in a stonking rich owners world

I wish we could get this sorted out - is it stonking rich or stinking rich?

On the otherhand it kicks off a transfer merrygoround where clubs lower down the food chain get to sell their talent at exorbitant fees 😉

We had the chance to get shot of the big 6 to the ESL but nobody wanted that either.

3 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

It started getting silly when the Premier League was formed!

It did. Norwich City were founder members. 

45 minutes ago, Haus said:

FPP has been suspended because of teams struggling with the pandemic, so rich owners can do what they want this season, its why Villa can spend so much despite making a loss every year. 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I keep thinking it's all going to come crashing down. Yet however ridiculous football finances becomes, the wheel keeps turning.

Its like the housing market. 

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

It's clearly stoinking

52 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I keep thinking it's all going to come crashing down. Yet however ridiculous football finances becomes, the wheel keeps turning.

Its like the housing market. 

Far worse. Far far worse, if this kind of deal ( Wilson) is the shape of things to come then  we are definitely  doing the right thing, keep our own house in order, let the others lose the run of themselves....I know who I'd back to be still in good shape in 10 years.

17 hours ago, Badger said:

In times gone by rich people were buried in the church in a tomb and poor people went in the church yard. Sometimes the tombs weren't sealed properly and the smell of decay escaped, hence the expression 'stinking rich'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In times gone by rich people were buried in the church in a tomb and poor people went in the church yard. Sometimes the tombs weren't sealed properly and the smell of decay escaped, hence the expression 'stinking rich'. 

Thanks for that - very interesting. I knew that the rich tended to be buried in the church rather than outside as it placed you closer to God and therefore expedite your trip through purgatory. For the same reason they left endowments to holy orders so that they would pray for them every day.

• Like 1

Can't see Villa saying no, that's a mammoth amount of money to be able to reinvest in the squad and they've already got a perfect replacement in Buendia