Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

13 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Its both a Fifa and FA rule and player contracts as standard make reference to complying with these rules. 

Having just looked it up its regulation 18.3 of Fifa's Regulations on the Status and Taransfer of Players, and Section T of the Premier League rules. 

Essentially a transfer fee either has to be agreed before a club can directly approach a player or his agent, or the player's club has to first give its permission (noting there is disparity between fifas rule which states a club must simply inform the other club while the FA rule states permission must be granted). However, in practice clubs do not comply with this regulation since all clubs operate the same way but there is an expectation of acting with some form of integrity in doing so. You don't often see a club who is willing to take formal action as it will come back to bite them when they want to sign a player. There have however been instances when clubs have overstepped the mark, if you recall Liverpool tapping up VVD from Southampton some years ago, Southampton threatened to report them and Liverpool apologised and withdrew their interest, signing him a year later. Ashley Cole is probably the best example, Chelsea received a fine and a suspended 3 point deduction. 

Thanks for that. I remember VvD well, I had forgotten about Cole. He really annoyed the Arsenal fans. Kane is on thin ice at the moment with Spurs fans. I am glad that Villa / Grealish didn't mess about and realised that Jack should leave and that City had offered a more than fair amount of compensation

23 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The 'optics' of selling Buendia and Cantwell in one window is terrible obviously, but Webber always prides himself on not worrying about that sort of thing and trying to make the most pragmatic decision

Nailed in one sentence Bethno, although I'm sure SW cares, he does a bloody good job of acting as if he doesn't. Pragmatism is a far better tool in these circumstances,  weigh up the situation,  make a decision and then act, swiftly. His decisions his responsibilities....and if he gets it wrong , his flak to deal with. Mind you, he is well rewarded for his position.

Edited by wcorkcanary

21 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Do you think PAOK fans feel the same?

Yep, it was ever thus. Players come and go , only the Club remains. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are you jealous of your neighbours  shiny car that cost more than yours too Foggyo?  Chances are they've borrowed  the money from somewhere. 

No I am the envy of my street as I invested. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With the future of Cantwell I feel so much depends on what he has told Norwich about his intentions with his contract.

If he has said that he is definitely not signing a new deal, or asking for a deal well beyond Norwich's means, then the club have to consider if £40m (or whatever the amount offered is) now is better for the club than Cantwell for a season and maybe half the size of bid next summer (or even less should the club be relegated). 

If Norwich get relegated with Cantwell in the team and Norwich then have to sell for £12m or something, people will be saying Webber was foolish to not take the £40m when it was on the table and that money could have been used to strengthen the team. If Norwich stay up with Cantwell a key component then people may feel it was worth turning down £40m for the £20m Norwich receive in the summer of 2022. It is impossible to know what the right thing to do now is.

Aston Villa with a pot full of cash from selling Grealish could represent the biggest ever bid that anyone will ever make or receive for Todd. 

The 'optics' of selling Buendia and Cantwell in one window is terrible obviously, but Webber always prides himself on not worrying about that sort of thing and trying to make the most pragmatic decision. The easy decision is to say 'nope, not for sale' - which could horrendously backfire with a frustrated Todd being dropped like last season and depriving yourself of £40m. It could also be a masterstroke as Todd knuckles down to prove you wrong and to get his big move the following summer.

Who'd want to be a Sporting Director?

Thing is the £30-40m is only that useful if we can actually spend it.

From a fan POV there is no point having £30m in the bank while we get relegated. 

1 hour ago, VillaFan said:

Where is the irony? I think it is wrong what happens in football today whether that be by Man City or Aston Villa. But hey, when fans are so fickle and hate and loathe so easily I suppose it is only to be expected. 

I think it's wise not to get too worked up about things over which one has no control. We get called happy  clappers on here, do you have a pet name at Villa for fans who are happy enough to let the Club get on with it...and see how it pans out. I've never looked at other forums but this one is stuffed with second guessing what may or may not happen..usually foretelling disaster, fire sale, downing tools  and other emotive phrases. Mind you , it's rarely dull.😉😇👍

Edited by wcorkcanary

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

I shouldn't worry mate, I think he hates a lot of Norwich fans too 😁

So we sell Cantwell for £40m to Villa... you are not getting a replacement that will be as good in the season we are in. Why? We don't pay wages that are an attractive proposition to players of that ability. Buendia is on £80k at Villa we offered £35k at best! The players you get for £35k a week are a gamble & may improve your side eventually. We are in the top flight NOW!.

But the oh look at the profit we made.. Webber is the messiah brigade will be over joyed.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With the future of Cantwell I feel so much depends on what he has told Norwich about his intentions with his contract.

If he was 100% committed, he would have signed a new deal. He hasn't, yet Webber seemed fairly relaxed about it during his recent interviews.

Reading between the lines, I would guess that Cantwell has said that he will continue to give his all for the club, but would like to leave if an offer came in. 

By not signing a new contract, he's not really giving the club much of an option but to sell. As you mentioned, we all know what happened this time last year.

It's a shame and galling for the fans for three reasons:

a) Todd was producing consistent performances for the first time during the second half of last season. I was really keen to see what he could do.

b) Selling to Villa, again.

c) He supports Norwich , which means this scenario is difficult to comprehend. Whilst the finances/ambition are clear, it would be more understandable if he left when we had just been relegated.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

we offered £35k at best!

Please provide evidence for this, or did you just pluck it out of thin air?

Edited by Badger
Added a word so the sentence made sense

9 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

No I am the envy of my street as I invested. 

👍😇😉 Good shot, what in ( shares in Villa?)? Obviously  something more profitable long term than a investing In  a cup of tea  during HT at CR.

29 minutes ago, Badger said:

I shouldn't worry mate, I think he hates a lot of Norwich fans too 😁

Don't hate any fans of any club. I do not like Villa the club though and that is for a number of reasons.... making silly stuff up again. Silly Badger.

Trust you to turn on a fellow City fan though... expected.😁

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So we sell Cantwell for £40m to Villa... you are not getting a replacement that will be as good in the season we are in. Why? We don't pay wages that are an attractive proposition to players of that ability. Buendia is on £80k at Villa we offered £35k at best! The players you get for £35k a week are a gamble & may improve your side eventually. We are in the top flight NOW!.

But the oh look at the profit we made.. Webber is the messiah brigade will be over joyed.

The problem with the salary structure is, our players outgrow it and want to get paid a lot more, from clubs that are willing to pay it. So we have to let them go, but get the best price for them at the same time.

I think you are very right there OTBC06, the issue with Cantwell is that he hasn't signed a new contract and I can't imagine we haven't tried to offer him a new one, especially with Buendia leaving. We announced a host of new contracts a few weeks back, absolutely no mention of Todd 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

When you invested Kennyo Foggyo, In  order to become the envy of your street ,😉😇👍 did you get a return NOW , or did you have to watch it grow over time, just like our club is growing. Having said that, you probably  don't think we are .

7 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If we lose Cantwell, the only people who will be "overjoyed" are those who seek every opportunity to criticize the club.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We get called happy  clappers on here,

I get called a Happy Clapper too. Some fans are just all doom and gloom. The bed wetting with Grealish leaving is unbelievable. I don't think people comprehend that we are getting 100m and our owners are the type that will give the full 100m to the club to find replacements. I think it is a great deal for us 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Thing is the £30-40m is only that useful if we can actually spend it.

From a fan POV there is no point having £30m in the bank while we get relegated. 

I don't think Webber or Farke would think there is much point of it in the bank also - even without Cantwell going it looks as if more will be spent in the last few weeks of the window than has been spent since it opened. Tzolis will likely be a club record and the search for a central midfielder could equal it, if not exceed it.

I seems like Webber has changed his usual strategy of getting everything done early to being more open to delay and negotiation in the hope of taking advantage of the depressed market.

5 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

The problem with the salary structure is, our players outgrow it and want to get paid a lot more, from clubs that are willing to pay it. So we have to let them go, but get the best price for them at the same time.

Staying in the PL would allow incremental and organic growth. If we can stay up without spending a huge amount, that opens the purse strings further for 2022/23... so the wage ceiling moves from, say, £30k to £40k, and we can fish in bigger pools. It's a sustainable growth policy, which is a no-brainer in this post-pandemic world. More clubs will lose out of this than will gain, but if we play our cards right for the next 18 months we could definitely become an established PL club in the way that Burnley, Palace, Southampton have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don't think Webber or Farke would think there is much point of it in the bank also - even without Cantwell going it looks as if more will be spent in the last few weeks of the window than has been spent since it opened. Tzolis will likely be a club record and the search for a central midfielder could equal it, if not exceed it.

I seems like Webber has changed his usual strategy of getting everything done early to being more open to delay and negotiation in the hope of taking advantage of the depressed market.

I hope you're right. I can't deny if been concerned with the reports on both Billing and Ajer that 'we won't pay more than £10m, club wants £15m' and we cant get the deal done. 

If we end up banking £60-70m plus in fees this summer we sometimes need to actually pay the asking price.

Just now, king canary said:

I hope you're right. I can't deny if been concerned with the reports on both Billing and Ajer that 'we won't pay more than £10m, club wants £15m' and we cant get the deal done. 

If we end up banking £60-70m plus in fees this summer we sometimes need to actually pay the asking price.

Looks like the club might have to pay more for Tzolis. I think Norwich would have gone higher for Ajer, just not as high as the Brentford deal. It was interesting the stories coming out of Germany said he had promised Leverkusen he'd go there - I wonder if Norwich heard this and walked away.

I get not jumping in to offer more for Billing, doesn't seem like there is much competition. I guess if it gets closer to the end of the window and Bournemouth haven't budge on price Norwich might go higher (or go elsewhere). For once, Norwich hold a lot of cards in buying players as they have (some) money in a window where there isn't much going around. No need to rush into deals when Norwich are likely to win out in any games of chicken clubs might be playing. 

I'd have hated it if Norwich had gone big early on players and then come the end of the window seen they had overpaid and better players were suddenly available for less. There is talk in Germany that Schalke will just let Kabak go on a free if they can't find a buyer by the end of the window as they are desperate to cut wages. There will be plenty more clubs in this position who will get more and more desperate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I would agree except for the fact that neither Ajer or Billing excite me much. Despite being ' richer ' than ever before, I think we still have to be very careful when pushing that boat out, that water  could be very  cold  and very deep. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We didn't keep all our stars- we sold two of them.

In the absence of any stars on the playing staff, I wonder if Ipswich have considered selling one or two of the stars on their shirt? We've already taken Liam Gibbs off them this summer, how much would it cost to purchase their UEFA Cup win? 😉

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

In the absence of any stars on the playing staff, I wonder if Ipswich have considered selling one or two of the stars on their shirt? We've already taken Liam Gibbs off them this summer, how much would it cost to purchase their UEFA Cup win? 😉

Cruel , cruel man. 😉😇👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If Villa sign Cantwell as well as Buendia so close to the start of the season, I would hope that the support would show its anger to the board.

I have always thought that the club would be better off without "fans" who try to sow division + are a source of constant criticism and negativity. Before the season is even started you are trying to create a conflict within the club - should help create a positive feeling around the club! Great stuff, what a supporter you are!

PS any luck with the evidence you made about the maximum offer that we made to Buendia - or did you just make it up?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Looks like the club might have to pay more for Tzolis. I think Norwich would have gone higher for Ajer, just not as high as the Brentford deal. It was interesting the stories coming out of Germany said he had promised Leverkusen he'd go there - I wonder if Norwich heard this and walked away.

I get not jumping in to offer more for Billing, doesn't seem like there is much competition. I guess if it gets closer to the end of the window and Bournemouth haven't budge on price Norwich might go higher (or go elsewhere). For once, Norwich hold a lot of cards in buying players as they have (some) money in a window where there isn't much going around. No need to rush into deals when Norwich are likely to win out in any games of chicken clubs might be playing. 

I'd have hated it if Norwich had gone big early on players and then come the end of the window seen they had overpaid and better players were suddenly available for less. There is talk in Germany that Schalke will just let Kabak go on a free if they can't find a buyer by the end of the window as they are desperate to cut wages. There will be plenty more clubs in this position who will get more and more desperate.

This is a great point, Bethnal. Especially considering that our three games before the international break (plus the Arsenal game immediately after it) are essentially 'free shots'. Any points we get from those four are a bonus really; Watford at home on September 18 is the point where we'll need to be as bedded in and ready to go as we possibly can be.

Worth trying to play the market considering our hand is stronger than usual.

Before last night I was open to the idea of Todd going if it was for megabucks, I have to say I’d changed my mind by the final whistle, largely as it’s a scary thought to think of how we replace a player who was so central to a lot of our play.

Its a tough one, and I think it’s extremely likely he will be off there now. What that truly means we will only be able to say once the transfer window slams shut. Much has been made of the contract situation and I think that is going to be the deciding factor, likely resulting in us agreeing a move but for £35-40 million.

The club aren’t naive, and I’d expect us to go back into the market fast and hard to get reinforcements. The uproar this will likely cause would only be stopped by us getting in some players we can see will have an impact for us. If they do that then I could see it coming off for us. If they don’t and we then get thumped by Liverpool and Man City, which is completely reasonable to expect regardless of todd or Emi, then I think they are going to be under huge pressure.

• Like 1