Graham Paddons Beard

End of an era ... Captain Fistpump

Looks like Cap’n Fistpump (“don’t forget them stars” ) Chambers will be leaving The Binners . 

I ,for one,  will be sad to see him go . 

Surely there is no other player so synonymous with the period of time where we emerged as the dominant force in the region?   “Chambo” leaves as we head into the Prem and the Binners languish in Div 3 for a third season . 

I salute you Chambo. I will miss you and everything you have stood for . I don’t think anyone will forget the joy in your face as you called out the River End when you scored and actually  lead against City . For all of five minutes. 

I doubt our paths will ever cross again

GPB 

• Haha 6

Very much the Russell Martin figure for the binners and, just like RM, often unfairly derided by his own support.

At least Martin added a couple of promotions to his locker though.

Two players who made the very most of their more limited ability, nothing wrong there.

Without Chambers' contribution ITFC would likley be in even worse straights than they currently are, imo.

6 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

How many times has he failed to beat us ?

It's got to be double figures, he had 4 attempts in one season during our playoff promotion year.

42 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Very much the Russell Martin figure for the binners and, just like RM, often unfairly derided by his own support.

At least Martin added a couple of promotions to his locker though.

Two players who made the very most of their more limited ability, nothing wrong there.

Without Chambers' contribution ITFC would likley be in even worse straights than they currently are, imo.

I’m afraid the only comparison of Chambers and Scottish International, Premier League scoring , promotion achieving, media savvy and highly articulate Russell Martin is that they have the same number of limbs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Looks like Cap’n Fistpump (“don’t forget them stars” ) Chambers will be leaving The Binners . 

I ,for one,  will be sad to see him go . 

Surely there is no other player so synonymous with the period of time where we emerged as the dominant force in the region?   “Chambo” leaves as we head into the Prem and the Binners languish in Div 3 for a third season . 

I salute you Chambo. I will miss you and everything you have stood for . I don’t think anyone will forget the joy in your face as you called out the River End when you scored and actually  lead against City . For all of five minutes. 

I doubt our paths will ever cross again

GPB 

I love it, said with feeling!  😂

• Haha 1

In fairness his family is from around these parts and he is spoken about highly. As said earlier probably one of their better players over the past decade 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I’m afraid the only comparison of Chambers and Scottish International, Premier League scoring , promotion achieving, media savvy and highly articulate Russell Martin is that they have the same number of limbs.

I said the "Russell Martin figure," ie for the binners.

RM was always streets ahead of Chambers, agreed.

Ironically, how a lot of them feel about Chambers now is how a few of our fans started to view Russ. As soon as these 'full-back-come-centre-back' lot lose a yard of pace it becomes easy to be disdainful of past heroes.

I say past heroes relative to the clubs and their respective levels.

I'm well aware Chambers has won f*ck all, and in light of that I'm surprised he was ever revered at Ipswich, where stars on shirts are as sure as currency, and golden days of yore far, far more important than something as trivial and fleeting as actually getting some points could ever be.

Edited by FatCanary
you can't say ****

Its demolition day at the Loo today, according to Cook.

He means players, but could do worse than getting R. G. Carter to use  their demolition arm to flatten the entire ground for all the lack of good football seen there in recent years.

I didn't realise until recently that Portman Road's capacity is well under thirty thousand now, and not much higher than Carrow Road's.

Apparently some corner fill seats have had to be removed. Something about not being up to standard or other health and safety requirements. They were never likely to be needed in any case.

Come on City get that new main stand done. Was a trick missed not doing it when spectators were banned for a year? Only those nearer to Stuart Webber's desk can possibly answer that with any authority I suppose.

Edited by BroadstairsR

55 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Come on City get that new main stand done. Was a trick missed not doing it when spectators were banned for a year? Only those nearer to Stuart Webber's desk can possibly answer that with any authority I suppose.

Oh dear - seriously? 

you really expected them to outlay for a new stand, during a pandemic, and all that has brought?

Agree the convenience of no supporters would have made it more doable from a practical perspective, but that's all.   

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Oh dear - seriously? 

you really expected them to outlay for a new stand, during a pandemic, and all that has brought?

Agree the convenience of no supporters would have made it more doable from a practical perspective, but that's all.   

Read my sentence again.

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Read my sentence again.

&?

Please expand

11 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

&?

Please expand

I think the point is it was an open-ended question, not a personal opinion, and there wasn't much need to react sarcastically.

3 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I think the point is it was an open-ended question, not a personal opinion, and there wasn't much need to react sarcastically.

And I thought was a forum, a place for discussion! 

Just now, Greavsy said:

And I thought was a forum, a place for discussion! 

Of course it is! Doesn't mean you have to be dismissive and critical of others' posts!

• Like 1

Just now, FatCanary said:

Of course it is! Doesn't mean you have to be dismissive and critical of others' posts!

Are you moderating the entire board, or just selected parts? 

Just now, Greavsy said:

Are you moderating the entire board, or just selected parts? 

I think people get unnecessarily aggressive towards each other on forums in general because there is no clear way to imply tone or intention. Either you've misjudged the point of the post you've replied to, or were just feeling boisterous about your own opinion, either way, I don't have to be a moderator to treat people appropriately in conversation. It really isn't difficult.

2 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

I think people get unnecessarily aggressive towards each other on forums in general because there is no clear way to imply tone or intention. Either you've misjudged the point of the post you've replied to, or were just feeling boisterous about your own opinion, either way, I don't have to be a moderator to treat people appropriately in conversation. It really isn't difficult.

Not been here long have you? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Not been here long have you? 

A post count isn't relevant to how kind you're capable of being to others.

That's mostly a matter of education married to some perception of moral code.

2 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

A post count isn't relevant to how kind you're capable of being to others.

That's mostly a matter of education married to some perception of moral code.

Have a very pleasant day, old chap! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

&?

Please expand

Durr!

I'm assuming that Stuart Webber & Co. will have weighed up the pros and cons.

Pros:

The expansion will need to be done eventually. Webber has said as much.

Less disruption due to ground closure. Less loss of income due to diminished gates as would be the case when the work does get underway when things are back to normal.

Interest rates are at an all time low. Borrowing to expand is normal strategy for any successful business. By the New Year the odds were in favour of NCFC getting promoted with PL monies on the horizon in any case. Not certain of course, but  risk and business expansion usually go hand in hand.

City had previously taken a big risk with the bond issue. It paid off and although an expensive way of raising the capital it was expedient. 

There are serious moves afoot to expand safe standing in order to assist  clubs hit hard by pandemic losses  as explained below:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/football-standing-grounds-pandemic-smaller-clubs-807096

This puts another factor into the equation.

I believe that Stuart Webber has also previously stated that the matter of ground expansion has "always been on his desk."

Cons:  The on-going loss of income due to the pandemic, as you so shrewdly pointed out.

The uncertainty of the length of the lock-out ie. how long the club would have to cope with the loss of attendance income.

No doubt that he has therefore weighed up the pros and cons as outlined above. Perhaps the second "con" was more pertinent than the first in decision making as Webber is not averse to a calculated risk as is demonstrated by the appointment of Farke in the first place and the bond issue as mentioned above.

The fact that no expansion has been undertaken means that we have to respect that decision because of his proven track record and the fact that he is privileged to the so-called "bottom line. This latter will also include realisation of the extra televison income from last season and also the IFollow income, which may or may not have been significant.

As has amply been stated above, it was an open-ended question.

Happy now?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Ecstatic. 

But why didn't you say all that initially? 

Re safe seating, they club was actively seeking to go down that route, pre covid. Maybe they will revisit that, but even that comes with expense and no increase in revenue as a result. 

End of an error - similar record for the pair of them whilst playing for Town against us - Played 10, Won 0

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pete Raven said:

End of an error - similar record for the pair of them whilst playing for Town against us - Played 10, Won 0

Sums up town well, although hopefully not the end yet. 

I'll always remember him fondly for his frankly outstanding gallery of 'being in the background of Norwich players scoring goals'

• Haha 3