Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Best Free Kick I've Ever Seen by a Norwich City Player

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

To achieve such a flat, powerful trajectory is not easy.  It's about as sweet a strike from that position that  you'll  see.

That's exactly why it's technically the better one. More margin for error on a ball that's floated in.

For me I’d also include Vrancic against Wycombe at home this season. More curled into the top corner rather than Dowell’s whipped effort and with the added complexity of the Wycombe wall jumping 

DFF84327-9FCD-47C2-BB24-030CBBA688FA.png

• Like 1

Dowell's goal was spectacular because of the power - it was smashed in leaving the keeper no time to react. Would not be surprise to see it played over & over on national television as one of the best goals. I recall one other free-kick to equal the "pace" of that of Dowell's - that was David Phillips vs Arsenal in 1989-90 season. The goal is not mentioned much because the game was over-shadowed by a brawl and us losing the game. This goal was better in my mind because it was so close to Lukic the Arsenal goalkeeper, who was made to look totally useless as he couldn't react to it - which tells all how good the shot was !

24 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Dowell's goal was spectacular because of the power - it was smashed in leaving the keeper no time to react. Would not be surprise to see it played over & over on national television as one of the best goals. I recall one other free-kick to equal the "pace" of that of Dowell's - that was David Phillips vs Arsenal in 1989-90 season. The goal is not mentioned much because the game was over-shadowed by a brawl and us losing the game. This goal was better in my mind because it was so close to Lukic the Arsenal goalkeeper, who was made to look totally useless as he couldn't react to it - which tells all how good the shot was !

0.27 and 2.27 here. - Complete with highlights of David O'Leary assaulting Malcolm Allen and getting away with it scot free and some excellent unbiased analysis from the late Jimmy Greaves.

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

On 11/04/2021 at 13:52, duke63 said:

So not this one?

I MISS NOT GOING TO FOOTBALL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

0.27 and 2.27 here. - Complete with highlights of David O'Leary assaulting Malcolm Allen and getting away with it scot free and some excellent unbiased analysis from the late Jimmy Greaves.

Nice one Thirsty and great analysis from Jimmy.

Bless him though, he's still with us!

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The refs had an absolute shocker there. 

As an aside though Jimmy's not dead yet 

3 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Nice one Thirsty and great analysis from Jimmy.

Bless him though, he's still with us!

Apologies to all and especially to Jimmy Greaves - I'm very glad he's still with us. I was of course mixing him up in my head with Ian St John who did sadly pass away recently. 

Does anyone remember a free kick that Graham Paddon scored?

I can't remember who it was against all I remember is it looked to be about 40 yards from goal, the opposition goalkeeper (could've been Joe Corrigan?) didn't have a wall and it went straight as a rocket.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

I MISS NOT GOING TO FOOTBALL

Weird. I miss *going* to football...

As for the best freekicks, I think we've seen the best two this season: Vrancic against Wycombe and Dowell against Derby. If I had to choose between them then Dowell's for that extra bit of pace but Vrancic's had slightly more shape on it and cleared the wall by a bigger margin. 

Maddison away at Reading a few years ago was similar to the Dowell one, albeit more central and perhaps further out as well.

Vrancic vs Sheffield Wednesday will always be my favourite because of the scenario. Almost promoted team is down 2-1 with the final kick of the game still to play and Vrancic steps up and hits it top corner, probably one of my best moments as a Norwich fan watching at Carrow Road. (As well as watching the promotion game, Pukki’s 4-3 millwall goal and 3-2 vs. Man City)

Dowell’s was great too but Vrancic’s will probably always be my favourite unless another happens to win us the league or something similar 😅

4 hours ago, TESCO said:

Vrancic vs Sheffield Wednesday will always be my favourite because of the scenario. Almost promoted team is down 2-1 with the final kick of the game still to play and Vrancic steps up and hits it top corner, probably one of my best moments as a Norwich fan watching at Carrow Road. (As well as watching the promotion game, Pukki’s 4-3 millwall goal and 3-2 vs. Man City)

Dowell’s was great too but Vrancic’s will probably always be my favourite unless another happens to win us the league or something similar 😅

Completely understand what you're saying TESCO. It is of course quite possible that Dowell's free kick last Saturday turns out to be the goal that wins us the league. 🙂 

18 hours ago, TESCO said:

Every little helps, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Petriix said:

Weird. I miss *going* to football...

As for the best freekicks, I think we've seen the best two this season: Vrancic against Wycombe and Dowell against Derby. If I had to choose between them then Dowell's for that extra bit of pace but Vrancic's had slightly more shape on it and cleared the wall by a bigger margin. 

I got it wrong because I was emotional

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Every little helps, right?

Is there any way to change my pink un username?