Petriix

Hugill's (lack of) movement

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Let me reply, what part of this 'formation' was Cantwell playing ?

Left of an attacking 3 which is where he made sure he was for 90% of our counter attacks today. Of course the 3 like to interlink and create triangles and runs for one another to create space but Norwich even give you a graphic indicating their positions if you struggle.

Hugill is a decent player for a mid or lower championship team, he’s not good enough to be in this Norwich team. Especially next season we need a dam better back to challenge Pukki then to try and rely on Hugill. That was our downfall last time in the premiership, no option or challenge for Pukki!

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Hugill is a decent player for a mid or lower championship team, he’s not good enough to be in this Norwich team. Especially next season we need a dam better back to challenge Pukki then to try and rely on Hugill. That was our downfall last time in the premiership, no option or challenge for Pukki!

I'm not sure too many teams in this league have better second and third choice strikers than us. A couple maybe. Of course I agree we need someone to actually challenge Pukki next season.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Had a big impact on the result of both of the previous game. People slagging him off should go and do commentary for the BBC. Embarrassing.

No, those of us with the intelligence to identify the nuances of the game are free to discuss them. Those who aren't interested can leave us to it. If people really think that Hugill's performance today was that of a top quality Championship striker then let them bring their insight to the discussion. Probably best if they make sure the words they string together actually form readable sentences though; otherwise maybe leave it to the literate grown-ups.

Hugill needs to step it up a gear. 

When he tried take the ball to the corner on the 89th minute i was worried about his decision making and his ability to keep hold of the ball. Both were poor. 

A lot of bad touches. 

The thing is.... I think he is a better player than this. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure too many teams in this league have better second and third choice strikers than us. A couple maybe. Of course I agree we need someone to actually challenge Pukki next season.

Really, sorry but Pukki is our only threat, Hugill wouldn’t get into the top ten sides all have better strikers. But we can all have opinions.

23 minutes ago, Petriix said:

No, those of us with the intelligence to identify the nuances of the game are free to discuss them. Those who aren't interested can leave us to it. If people really think that Hugill's performance today was that of a top quality Championship striker then let them bring their insight to the discussion. Probably best if they make sure the words they string together actually form readable sentences though; otherwise maybe leave it to the literate grown-ups.

Bloody hell, what a load of b0ll0cks

did you have your pinky out as you typed that?

2 apps, 2 wins, not our principal striker. Doing what he’s been brought in to do. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Indy said:

Really, sorry but Pukki is our only threat, Hugill wouldn’t get into the top ten sides all have better strikers. But we can all have opinions.

He most certainly would as second choice.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

Let me reply, what part of this 'formation' was Cantwell playing ?

The winning position, that’s what matters, is it not?

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Left of an attacking 3 which is where he made sure he was for 90% of our counter attacks today. Of course the 3 like to interlink and create triangles and runs for one another to create space but Norwich even give you a graphic indicating their positions if you struggle.

Farke loves to swap them over as well at certain periods in the game. 

I cannot believe formations are being questioned, given our league position and results!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

2 apps, 2 wins, not our principal striker. Doing what he’s been brought in to do. 

And that's all we can ask as fans.

When he's needed he's done a job, is he Premier League quality no, has he let us down since he's been here, no.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Incredibly well reasoned point there, especially how you used intelligent language to explain your thoughts.

I'm not sure why you have such difficulty with someone watching the game today and thinking "Hugill would be really good if he improved his movement, I hope he continues to adapt to our style."

I'm not saying he's rubbish, just that I found it frustrating when he was on his heels as the ball was played through on two or three occasions. Sorry if that's too complicated for you.

Just now, Petriix said:

Incredibly well reasoned point there, especially how you used intelligent language to explain your thoughts.

I'm not sure why you have such difficulty with someone watching the game today and thinking "Hugill would be really good if he improved his movement, I hope he continues to adapt to our style."

I'm not saying he's rubbish, just that I found it frustrating when he was on his heels as the ball was played through on two or three occasions. Sorry if that's too complicated for you.

Whatever mate you just wanted to slag him off and pretend to be insightful and debonair. It didn’t work.

F8A6AD63-A44A-451C-B71F-EAFCC9284668.jpeg

But did you think Hugill contributed to our win in other ways? If you're expecting Pukki then your expectations will never be realised. And if you thought he was signed to be Pukki maybe you would have trouble putting together a couple of sentences explaining that...

🙃

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

I don't disagree but that's not the kind of striker that Hugill is.

Pukki is excellent at finding space and running past defenders, that's his style.

It's not Hugills style of play.

• Like 1

Played alright today, his best performance for us yet but probably still only a 7/10 at best. 

But I don’t think he was ever brought in to challenge Pukki, I think that’s Idah’s job. Hugill was bought in as something completely different from the bench, which is what we needed.

If Idah was fit, he’d be ahead of Hugill in the pecking order, which was how the early part of the season played out. 

So on the grounds he’s our third choice forward, it wasn’t a bad performance today at all.

And we won again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not the day to have a go at him. He has set up both goals.

bouncing the ball off the keeper's chest is.................setting up a goal 🤪

how did he set up the other goal ?

and pointing out what was obvious is not having a go at him either

though I would ask what the fck did he think he was doing clutching the ball to him near the end

(if that is not thought to be having a go at him)

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

bouncing the ball off the keeper's chest is.................setting up a goal 🤪

how did he set up the other goal ?

and pointing out what was obvious is not having a go at him either

though I would ask what the fck did he think he was doing clutching the ball to him near the end

(if that is not thought to be having a go at him)

Stopping the opposition from taking a free kick quickly with players who had made breaking runs to try and support Hugill, being out of position and us getting caught. And it worked, we got back into position and defended. And ate up a valuable minute or so.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He most certainly would as second choice.

We differ then as he’s not even number two here! Idah was getting the nod.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

We differ then as he’s not even number two here! Idah was getting the nod.

You don't think he'd be second choice for Barnsley, Bristol or Reading?

Sorry but I completely disagree if you don't think hes better than their second choices.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You don't think he'd be second choice for Barnsley, Bristol or Reading?

Sorry but I completely disagree if you don't think hes better than their second choices.

Definitely not Reading, Bristol have three far better players not sure about Barnsley!

Like I said he’s definitely not a Norwich player, certainly hasn’t warranted his transfer. His best game today and you could still see just how he’s got more negatives in his game than positives he brings.

Like I said we can all have opinions the issue is some have such green and yellow spectacles that even if it’s Drmic they’d still run to convince us they have something more than they have.....he’s a bang average player and certainly not the quality we need.

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Definitely not Reading, Bristol have three far better players not sure about Barnsley!

Well bearing in mind that Barnsley second striker is now potentially Morris I guess we know the answer to that one.

It's the same there though, the bought Morris as HE'S DIFFERENT to Woodrow so gives them options.

Hugill and Pukki are not the same and arguably when we play a system that is more suited to his style he scored.

If he starts for whatever reason we need true wingers for crosses.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Like I said he’s definitely not a Norwich player, certainly hasn’t warranted his transfer. His best game today and you could still see just how he’s got more negatives in his game than positives he brings.

Like I said we can all have opinions the issue is some have such green and yellow spectacles that even if it’s Drmic they’d still run to convince us they have something more than they have.....he’s a bang average player and certainly not the quality we need.

Interesting. One of Bristols main strikers is Chris Martin. 32 year old Chris Martin.

And even if i do you the favour of looking over a 4 year period, Hugill has outscored him at this level. 

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Stopping the opposition from taking a free kick quickly with players who had made breaking runs to try and support Hugill, being out of position and us getting caught. And it worked, we got back into position and defended. And ate up a valuable minute or so.

'making breaking runs' ?

that rather suggests those players were not sticking to the formation, but were reacting to the play - as you will find happens throughout the game

but do feel free to grab a snapshot of the players when they are in this formation at any time in the game

and what part of the formation was Hugill keeping to when he grabbed the ball, being as he was in our half - or when Cantwell was winning the ball from their player in our open box, or scoring when he was in their pen box ?where

or could it be that where a player is at any one point during a game is down to where the ball is, the opposition players are or a varying combination of the two ?

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Interesting. One of Bristols main strikers is Chris Martin. 32 year old Chris Martin.

And even if i do you the favour of looking over a 4 year period, Hugill has outscored him at this level. 

Why are you looking over a 4 year period? Martins banged shed more goals, brings more to the table and has outscored Hugill this year in a far worse side! So yep I’d say as their third choice he’s still better than Hugill....you need to take off those City specs......he’s not good enough for a side like ours...... additionally people say about a plan b we don’t do that, we still play the same style even if we’re chasing a game! We need better, and I’m not sure Idah is going to be that player, as much as I rave about Idah, he’s got the potential to be a brilliant player, hope he fulfills that.

Edited by Indy

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

'making breaking runs' ?

that rather suggests those players were not sticking to the formation, but were reacting to the play - as you will find happens throughout the game

but do feel free to grab a snapshot of the players when they are in this formation at any time in the game

and what part of the formation was Hugill keeping to when he grabbed the ball, being as he was in our half - or when Cantwell was winning the ball from their player in our open box, or scoring when he was in their pen box ?where

or could it be that where a player is at any one point during a game is down to where the ball is, the opposition players are or a varying combination of the two ?

What a load of waffle, you’ve obviously not watched the team over the last few seasons, or even played a good standard of football.

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

What a load of waffle, you’ve obviously not watched the team over the last few seasons, or even played a good standard of football.

He’s been mainly coming here to moan about Donald Trump to be fair

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why are you looking over a 4 year period? Martins banged shed more goals, brings more to the table and has outscored Hugill this year in a far worse side! So yep I’d say as their third choice he’s still better than Hugill....you need to take off those City specs......he’s not good enough for a side like ours...... additionally people say about a plan b we don’t do that, we still play the same style even if we’re chasing a game! We need better, and I’m not sure Idah is going to be that player, as much as I rave about Idah, he’s got the potential to be a brilliant player, hope he fulfills that.

The thing I just don't get about this is the insane rush to judgement! Maybe it's just symptomatic of the internet age, but people are always giving knee jerk opinions based on infinitesimal amounts of evidence.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - Iwan Roberts was gash for the whole of his first season with us, yet went on to become a City legend and our third all time top scorer. 

• Like 4

Thought he was really decent today, and I have not been convinced by him at all to date.

Strong, held the ball up really well considering who he had around him, and forced a good save from the keeper that Cantwell put in on the rebound. Thought he looked a lot sharper with the ball at his feet too.

Surprised by the criticism he has attracted today, but I guess it's important to find someone to have a pop at given Todd and Kenny have stepped it up so much and we're only 50 points off 24 games....

• Like 1