Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Millwall fans boo thier own players taking the knee

Curious to know when this term Woke or woke came into common parlance, certainly appears to be a recent and unhelpful addition - closing down debate.

1 minute ago, corbs said:

Curious to know when this term Woke or woke came into common parlance, certainly appears to be a recent and unhelpful addition - closing down debate.

Yeah it's only in the last 6 months or so. Some people use it as an insult and it makes me chuckle to myself. 

8 hours ago, corbs said:

Actually, cancel culture is the modus operandi of illiberal wokeists.

Edited by Naturalcynic

7 hours ago, corbs said:

I think it's one of those sayings that makes people think they are fighting against something. If there is some ideology, even made up ones, they can then pretend they are battling for humanity and a noble reason rather than just simply being racist or excusing racism.

See "cancel culture" and "virtue signalling" for other examples.

Edited by Herman
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Given that your demonstration of that on this thread has been to twist language to impute the worst motivations (including not particularly subtle allusions to racism) onto people who point out the flaws in your argument, I won't be taking your advice thanks. This "I know what you're REALLY thinking" tendency is like a disease amongst much of the Left and is being explicitly pushed within academia.

I didn't "twist language" as you put it: I quoted you directly. I don't know what you are "really thinking" - all I know is what you have actually said. However, you now seem to be arguing that you didn't mean what you said and that by quoting it I am twisting it?

As for pointing out flaws in the argument, I don't think you have ever addressed this argument at all! As I said above, you persistently miss the point as you struggle to fit it into a fundamentally flawed theoretical framework given to you by others. 

Never min, but I do think that you should call it a day as you suggest - you keep tying yourself in knots.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I didn't "twist language" as you put it: I quoted you directly. I don't know what you are "really thinking" - all I know is what you have actually said. However, you now seem to be arguing that you didn't mean what you said and that by quoting it I am twisting it?

As for pointing out flaws in the argument, I don't think you have ever addressed this argument at all! As I said above, you persistently miss the point as you struggle to fit it into a fundamentally flawed theoretical framework given to you by others. 

Never min, but I do think that you should call it a day as you suggest - you keep tying yourself in knots.

I stated that cultural differences lead to different outcomes. This is a factually accurate statement backed up by people like Phillips and supported by the statistics you yourself posted showing some non-white groups doing far better than others. It isn't exclusive of other factors as you claim. When you've misunderstood something it's sometimes better to do a mea culpa and stop digging.

But if it makes you feel better you have totally persuaded me that splitting the population between different immutable trait based identity groups with different oppression and privilege levels (even though the statistics and Social attitude surveys don't support this approach) is a great way for the Left to win elections. You win. Forward together comrade!

Edited by Mr.Carrow

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I think it's one of those sayings that makes people think they are fighting against something. If there is some ideology, even made up ones, they can then pretend they are battling for humanity and a noble reason rather than just simply being racist or excusing racism.

See "cancel culture" and "virtue signalling" for other examples.

woke alert to injustice in society, especially racism 

I cant see how its an insult really, just people repeating the buzzword of the day that theyve heard their favorite right wing facebook page use without even understanding it.

On 05/12/2020 at 18:31, yellow 63 said:

I for one when i return hopefully this season,won't be booing but a shout''of get up'' will be shouted,and 100% not a racist gene in my body

And I hope to be right behind you telling the stewards to throw your racist **** out.

• Like 2

If NCFC announces that all fans have to take the knee to get access into Carrow road, and be having their picture taken doing so, to spread some positive news about Millwall fans for once, then this would tackle ill found attitudes and racism for all the league to see.

Fans are part of football, they should act responsible when enjoying a game, not bed violent, aggressive and or acting up to some 1960's meme that is long forgotten by most fans. This does not mean they can't be loud or cheering to the rafters, but to show some respect were it is due.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Apropos of nothing.

in all the years reading this forum I have never seen that word used before

take a bow, sir

ps there's some really humorous stuff in PE if you know where to look

I get it on occasions and it is a good read, with some funny and brilliant reporting. The funniest I have read was a skit on Owen Jones. Twas spot on.

On 13/12/2020 at 14:35, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

If NCFC announces that all fans have to take the knee to get access into Carrow road, and be having their picture taken doing so, to spread some positive news about Millwall fans for once, then this would tackle ill found attitudes and racism for all the league to see.

Fans are part of football, they should act responsible when enjoying a game, not bed violent, aggressive and or acting up to some 1960's meme that is long forgotten by most fans. This does not mean they can't be loud or cheering to the rafters, but to show some respect were it is due.

Authoritarian much?

And respect cannot be compelled, it has to be earned.

• Like 1