Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Home Grown Rule for Saturday

This is beginning to look like a bit of a ball ache.

Our ridiculous injury list sees 7 first team players who qualify as home grown ruled out. Krul, Mumba, Byram, Cantwell, Hugill, Idah and Dowell. 

Assuming no extra injuries that leaves, Hanley, Gibson, Aarons, Skipp and Martin as first teamers who count as home grown.

We have to find another three, but if my understanding is correct, Academy players only qualify as home-grown if they have spent three years in the youth-development system of an English club. I think that Barden and Dickson-Peters should count as home grown under this criterion, but players like McAlear, Omadibele and Nizet won't as they haven't been with us long enough. Look out for even more of our U23s/U18s on the bench. (thinking about it I guess Mathew Denis' time in Arsenal's Academy should see him qualify). 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

I ask this question genuinely. If we get to a stage where we can’t put a team out, are we forced to play  ? Is there a stage where you can call a game off ?. I have seen it happen with illness, or do we just lose 3 points if we can’t get 11 on the pitch.

10 games now in a month absolutely ridiculous not just for us but for everyone. 

Is there anything to stop us putting an injured home-grown player on the bench knowing they won't get on the pitch?

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Is there anything to stop us putting an injured home-grown player on the bench knowing they won't get on the pitch?

I thought that, can’t see why not, but do you have to have a certain number on the pitch ?. 

Surely it’d be better to put youngsters on the bench than injured players? It’ll give them a great experience and they could actually come on if required! 

25 minutes ago, Clint said:

Surely it’d be better to put youngsters on the bench than injured players? It’ll give them a great experience and they could actually come on if required! 

You'd think, but a few seasons ago Farke put an injured Harrison Reed on the bench for one game over any youngsters.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

You'd think, but a few seasons ago Farke put an injured Harrison Reed on the bench for one game over any youngsters.

Don't remember that - which game?

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Don't remember that - which game?

Bit of digging suggests it was v Barnsley in his first season

1 hour ago, king canary said:

That's right. Farke has always said he doesnt give first team appearances or even seats on the bench for free and they need to be earnt. That's the right approach and Farke certainly does give youth a chance when they deserve it

A “Home Grown Player” is defined in the (Rule 33.8) as a player who:

irrespective of their nationality or age, has been registered with either:

their current club (who is a member of the EFL); and/or

a club and/or any other football club affiliated with the Football Association (“FA“) or Football Association of Wales (for example, EPL or non-league clubs)

for a period, continuous or non-continuous, of three seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which they turn 21).

See EFL rules on Homegrown players I am sure most of our U 23 and U 18 squad comply with the 3 year period as long as they are 21.  Academy players tend to have been with a club from an early age.  

The EPL rules for an 18 man matchday squad state 7 home grown players and 1 club developed player have to be named in the squad-if you can’t name a club developed player, you can only have 6 subs on the bench. The rules don’t say that you can name fewer subs if you can’t name 7 home grown players. A club developed player can also count as a homegrown player although I’m not sure what the implications of that are.

Someone-possibly Bethnal-said that the homegrown rules hadn’t been changed in light of the 20 man Match day squad.

It’s not clear to me what the sanctions are if we don’t comply with this rule but it seems to suggest that we would be charged with misconduct by way of including an ineligible player in the squad, and for a first offence this would probably mean a financial penalty.

Wilful disregard of the rule or multiple breaches would probably result in more severe sanctions.

My thoughts are that we will have to put injured homegrown players on the bench if we don’t have enough fit ones.

I’m pretty sure someone fell foul of the rule and got a small fine, but can’t seem to find anything about it from a quick Google.  But in any case, I would imagine we’d be making representations in advance to the EFL if we think we might not manage, either that or Todd/Hugill/others will be on the bench with no intention of using them...I imagine the journos will be asking about this at the press conference tomorrow 

Edited by Branston Pickle

RE: injured players on the bench, Farke pretty much said after Stoke that Rupp was down as a sub with 0% chance of actually playing due to injury/ condition, if anything just to make it look less daunting to see next to nobody in reserve.