A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

9 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Have the Ukrainians got drones capable of lifting that much blubber?

Very good point! Perhaps the Yanks can lend them a B-52. Should just about cope with the payload. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I ought to add you could read into this that Johnson or is it Crosby now thinks its more important for Johnson to improve his national rating / look than the local by-elections. Are the Tories (or Johnson anyway - the two are now quite separate entities) already conceding defeat?

The papers are calling this "a surprise visit" but it was totally predictable from the moment Macron was pictured in Ukraine this week...

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/lord-geidt-says-resignation-letter-has-been-misinterpreted-e2-80-98this-isn-e2-80-99t-about-steel-e2-80-99/ar-AAYATfo?ocid=uxbndlbing

Lord Geidt has just clarified the reasons for his resignation:

“Emphasis on the steel tariffs question is a distraction. Since my letter of resignation was made public yesterday, there has been some confusion about the precise cause of my decision,” he wrote.

He explained that the steel tariffs issue “was simply one example of what might yet constitute deliberate breaches by the United Kingdom of its obligations under international law.”

“Accordingly, and conscious of my own obligations under the Seven Principles of Public Life (including integrity), I could not be a party to advising on any potential law-breaking.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Lord Geidt

I was sorry to receive your letter of resignation yesterday. I want to thank you for your service. When we spoke on Monday, you said that you were content to remain until the end of the year. So your letter came as a surprise.

You say that you were put in an impossible position regarding my seeking your advice on potential future decisions related to the Trade Remedies Authority. My intention was to seek your advice on the national interest in protecting a crucial industry, which is protected in other European countries and would suffer material harm if we do not continue to apply such tariffs. This has in the past had cross party support. It would be in line with our domestic law but might be seen to conflict with our obligations under the WTO. In seeking your advice before any decision was taken, I was looking to ensure that we acted properly with due regard to the Ministerial code.

You have carried out your duties admirably under very difficult circumstances. We have discussed the burdens placed on you by this increasingly public role, and the pressures that would be felt by anyone in your position. On behalf of the Government, I would like to renew my thanks for all your work.

Yours sincerely

Boris Johnson

Nowhere in Geidt's resignation letter does he mention the Trades Remedy Authority. 

Yet another Johnson scandal comes to light involving him in yet another attempt to throw taxpayer's money at one of his extra-marital shags:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-accused-of-trying-to-appoint-wife-carrie-to-100k-taxpayer-funded-role-in-2018/ar-AAYBlVz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=41c03a150ddd4a8e950d5e63b1550ce1

Boris Johnson was last night accused of trying to appoint Carrie Johnson to a top taxpayer-funded position while Foreign Secretary before he was blocked by colleagues who discovered they were having an affair.

The Prime Minister, who served as chief of the Foreign Office between 2016 and 2018, wanted to make his future wife his £100,000-a-year chief of staff before allies intervened, the Times reports.

Those close to Mr Johnson feared the move would have been a clear breach of ethical standards within one of the four great offices of state. 

At the time, staffers learned of the Foreign Secretary and the-then Ms Symonds true relationship after a Tory MP allegedly walked in on them in a 'compromising position' in Mr Johnson's office at the start of 2018. 

He was, at the time, still married to lawyer Marina Wheeler, his second wife of 25 years and mother to four of his children.

A source close to the-then Foreign Secretary and involved in the decision to block Ms Symond's appointment told the Times: 'It would have left [Boris] dangerously exposed'. 

Appointing his then-mistress as Mr Johnson's right-hand woman would have been 'a far bigger scandal' than ex-Health Secretary Matt Hancock's infamous lockdown-busting kiss with aide Gina Colangelo, the source added.

image.png

10 hours ago, horsefly said:

Yet another Johnson scandal comes to light involving him in yet another attempt to throw taxpayer's money at one of his extra-marital shags:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/boris-johnson-accused-of-trying-to-appoint-wife-carrie-to-100k-taxpayer-funded-role-in-2018/ar-AAYBlVz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=41c03a150ddd4a8e950d5e63b1550ce1

Boris Johnson was last night accused of trying to appoint Carrie Johnson to a top taxpayer-funded position while Foreign Secretary before he was blocked by colleagues who discovered they were having an affair.

The Prime Minister, who served as chief of the Foreign Office between 2016 and 2018, wanted to make his future wife his £100,000-a-year chief of staff before allies intervened, the Times reports.

Those close to Mr Johnson feared the move would have been a clear breach of ethical standards within one of the four great offices of state. 

At the time, staffers learned of the Foreign Secretary and the-then Ms Symonds true relationship after a Tory MP allegedly walked in on them in a 'compromising position' in Mr Johnson's office at the start of 2018. 

He was, at the time, still married to lawyer Marina Wheeler, his second wife of 25 years and mother to four of his children.

A source close to the-then Foreign Secretary and involved in the decision to block Ms Symond's appointment told the Times: 'It would have left [Boris] dangerously exposed'. 

Appointing his then-mistress as Mr Johnson's right-hand woman would have been 'a far bigger scandal' than ex-Health Secretary Matt Hancock's infamous lockdown-busting kiss with aide Gina Colangelo, the source added.

image.png

I'm not sure what is going on but a few people are querying why this story has been disappeared very quickly after being published. Strange. 

18 hours ago, Herman said:

I'm not sure what is going on but a few people are querying why this story has been disappeared very quickly after being published. Strange. 

Murkier and murkier.

Saw this and just couldn't help but think of Ricardo.

Surely should be labelled a tumbril... Chop.

From the Guardian.

Illustration by Chris Riddell.

On 18/06/2022 at 12:26, horsefly said:

image.png

Bingo.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/20/no-10-confirms-asked-the-times-drop-carrie-johnson-story

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had thought it was because of a Daniella Westbrook type problem but this also seems very plausible.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I had thought it was because of a Daniella Westbrook type problem but this also seems very plausible.

Imagine the post op conversation with his surgeon:

SURGEON: We successfully managed to remove two foot from your nose, but I have to warn you that unless you kick your 20-lies-a-day habit it will grow back with even greater potency.

JOHNSON: Can you book me in again for next Tuesday?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Snow White has him on speed-dial if Pinocchio's strings are in for maintenance. She sits on his face screaming "lie, you bas-tard, lie!"

• Haha 1

No10 plans to tear up restrictions on bosses pay.

Remember that when you can't get a train.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

Compare and contrast the following two positions taken by Grant Schapps on work disputes. Or perhaps one statement was from Schapps, and the other from Michael green.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/politics-latest-news-grant-shapps-insists-he-is-powerless-to-stop-rail-strikes/ar-AAYGRam?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c79a836385754273a6ac930d36b20a43

Politics latest news: Grant Shapps insists he is powerless to stop rail strikes

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1588013/grant-shapps-warning-p-and-o-ferry-boss

Grant Shapps’ final warning to P&O ferry boss

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What ever happened to ACAS?

It's become the new acronym for the Conservative Party: Absolute C*nts And Sh*its

7 hours ago, horsefly said:

Compare and contrast the following two positions taken by Grant Schapps on work disputes. Or perhaps one statement was from Schapps, and the other from Michael green.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/politics-latest-news-grant-shapps-insists-he-is-powerless-to-stop-rail-strikes/ar-AAYGRam?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c79a836385754273a6ac930d36b20a43

Politics latest news: Grant Shapps insists he is powerless to stop rail strikes

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1588013/grant-shapps-warning-p-and-o-ferry-boss

Grant Shapps’ final warning to P&O ferry boss

The Government is the only shareholder in Network Rail so its baldricks that they cannot interfere. Its clearly a political strike and a political reaction. When junior lawyers go on strike it will make little difference but the trains are a different matter.

The Government are blaming Labour for not condemning the action, meaning they want Labour to interfere. Yet on the other hand say they can't interfere. All to take the heat of Johnson.

Whether or not the RMT is morally right is arguable. But the Union is very powerful and has many members. And while people point and say that they are already on good wages, its because the Union has been successful. It carries a huge threat to cause disruption if it takes any industrial action and can manipulate its employers to a great degree.

But they aren't lying. They can be accused of greed, selfishness but they are telling the truth. The Government isn't. We all know Johnson has told the employers to hold out. He will step in at some point because he is the Knight in Armour (actually he is Don Quixote) and he will save the day and everyone will think he is a hero. Of course he will deliberately let it carry on past Thursday so he can try and save Tiverton by slagging off Labour and Libdems for not lynching Lynch.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The Government is the only shareholder in Network Rail so its baldricks that they cannot interfere. Its clearly a political strike and a political reaction. When junior lawyers go on strike it will make little difference but the trains are a different matter.

The Government are blaming Labour for not condemning the action, meaning they want Labour to interfere. Yet on the other hand say they can't interfere. All to take the heat of Johnson.

Whether or not the RMT is morally right is arguable. But the Union is very powerful and has many members. And while people point and say that they are already on good wages, its because the Union has been successful. It carries a huge threat to cause disruption if it takes any industrial action and can manipulate its employers to a great degree.

But they aren't lying. They can be accused of greed, selfishness but they are telling the truth. The Government isn't. We all know Johnson has told the employers to hold out. He will step in at some point because he is the Knight in Armour (actually he is Don Quixote) and he will save the day and everyone will think he is a hero. Of course he will deliberately let it carry on past Thursday so he can try and save Tiverton by slagging off Labour and Libdems for not lynching Lynch.

I think you are pretty much correct in every thing you say. Both the Govt. and RMT are political actors

Frankly I have little sympathy for the RMT as it stands - they are in danger of overplaying their hand much to the glee of Johnson and of giving the Tory right a cause célèbre. Labour should stay well out of it. No winners just losers here. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think you are pretty much correct in every thing you say. Both the Govt. and RMT are political actors

Frankly I have little sympathy for the RMT as it stands - they are in danger of overplaying their hand much to the glee of Johnson and of giving the Tory right a cause célèbre. Labour should stay well out of it. No winners just losers here. 

Really? They are looking at significantly below inflation pay rises and worse conditions.

I'm not really sure what the RMT would be for if it isn't for this situation and I'm not sure what the labour party is for if it can't back them.

Running scared of the 1970s isn't going to bring in a new government and I'm not sure the public views strikes in the same way as it once did.

• Like 1

You have to almost admire the brass balls of a the Tories, who've been in Government over a decade, trying to blame nationwide rail strikes on Labour. 

• Like 1

I think the government has just 'blown' it's hand on pay rises simply for political expediency.

Giving the pensioners a 10% rise - although welcome  - rather undermines under inflation pay rises elsewhere. Whereas many pensioners are indeed poor, many are also well off with high income. Within the  RMT - many of their workers are on low pay with families and equally if not more so deserving. Personally, 10% is fine but I'd also be looking to remove the NI age cap for pensioners as a claw back - bring them into line with everybody else.

Clearly the nurses, care workers etc are going for 12% and they will have public support.

Yes - Tories blown it again for political expediency.

Just seen this which is along the same lines - 

Big hike planned in value of state pensions ‘ludicrous’, says former Tory Treasury minister

Good morning. The latest inflation figures have come out, and they show the headline rate of inflation reached 9.1% in May, the highest figure for 40 years. My colleague Julia Kollewe has more details on the business live blog.

UK inflation rises to fresh 40-year peak of 9.1% as cost of living crisis worsens – business live

Read more

Rising inflation makes it harder for the government to explain why rail workers - and, indeed, almost everyone else - are expected to put up with pay rises worth less than the value of inflation (ie, a real-terms cut). This question was given extra force yesterday when the government confirmed that next year the state pension was likely to rise by significantly more than the value of inflation (because the increase will be pegged to the rate of inflation in September, which is likely to be 10% or more, but will be implemented for 2023-24, when inflation should be lower).

This morning the economist Jim O’Neill, a former Treasury minister, said this was “ludicrous”. Asked on the Today programme to explain why pensioners were getting 10%, but younger workers were lucky to get a pay rise of 3%, he said he had “no idea”. He went on:

It seems to me pensioners, given the pressure on fiscal policies and these inequality issues now for the past decade and beyond, the constant protection of pensioners seems ludicrous in itself and, in these circumstances, particularly crazy.

O’Neill is technically a Tory former Treasury minister; a former Goldman Sachs chief economist, he took the Conservative whip in the House of Lords while he served as a Treasury minister in David Cameron’s government from 2015 to 2016. But now he sits as a crossbencher, and he has recently started advising the Labour party on startup policy.

O’Neill did not mention two well-documented factors to help explain the government’s apparent generosity to pensioners. First, they are more likely to vote than younger people, meaning that as electors they tend to wield disproportionate influence. And, second, they are far more likely to vote Conservative than Labour.

Edited by Yellow Fever

I see Johnson is in Rwanda. Do you think he will apply for asylum there? If he does do you think he'll be successful ?

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I see Johnson is in Rwanda. Do you think he will apply for asylum there? If he does do you think he'll be successful ?

Finally, a government plane takes off to Rwanda with some passengers.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Finally, a government plane takes off to Rwanda with some passengers.

Surely they will now have to apply for asylum there, and can't return.

• Haha 1

Wow! Those election results show that there is no longer a single safe Tory seat in the UK. Long live King Boris the Twa*t. I see Oliver Dowden has now resigned in an act of regicide.

Edited by horsefly

The power of tactical voting can no longer be questioned. I pray that Labour, the Libs, and the Greens recognise this come the next GE. Then I hope the next government introduces some form or PR to make tactical voting unnecessary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2