A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

It has got swamped by Partygate but there were two totally unsurprising revelations yesterday. The Guardian reported that Johnson lied when he said he had never pushed the Premier League to give the green light to the Saudi takeover of Newcastle United. And the HoC foreign affairs committee in effect said Johnson lied when he denied having pushed for the animal rescue from Afghanistan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Sunak to announce package to ease cost of living crisis. I wonder why they are going to u-turn after months of inaction? W.

Yep I expected a huge dead cat yesterday or today but looks like tomorrow (being reported today...copy here rather than the full extract).

"Most expensive dead cat ever"...would indicate a big cash giveaway for us plebs.

IMG_20220525_102025_1.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It has got swamped by Partygate but there were two totally unsurprising revelations yesterday. The Guardian reported that Johnson lied when he said he had never pushed the Premier League to give the green light to the Saudi takeover of Newcastle United. And the HoC foreign affairs committee in effect said Johnson lied when he denied having pushed for the animal rescue from Afghanistan.

I actually find it distateful that the party gate seems to trump the 'animal rescue' story.

It's tragic that people couldn't see their loved ones in hospital and that people had to die alone, but it didn't fundamentally change the course of the pandemic. However Johnson left 200 odd people to the mercy of the Taliban because he was scared that a story about dogs not being rescued might damage his career with animal lovers.

He is a complete sociopath.

Edited by 1902
Grammar died a death for a second

21 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I actually find it distateful that the party gate seems to trump the 'animal rescue' story.

It's tragic that people couldn't see their loved ones in hospital and that people had to die alone, but it didn't fundamentally change the course of the pandemic. However Johnson left 200 odd people to the mercy of the Taliban because he was scared that a story about dogs not being rescued might damage his career with animal lovers.

53000 Ukraine refugees. 12000 Afghan refugees.

14 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Its just anything to further his own interests and to hell with the rest.

Actually you could broaden that to encompass most in the current Johnson Tory party.

26 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Honestly the most depressing thing about politics in recent years has been how clear it has been that party politics still trumps all even in the most dire of circumstances. The fact the Tory party dallied so much over lockdowns in part due to worries about how it would effect their chances in the next election was an unfortunate eye opener.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

When LAPD officers were put on trial for the horrendously brutal beating of Rodney King, the defence decided that the best way to combat the horror of the 8 minute video was to repeat it over and over again in an attempt to desensitize the jury of the blatant crime that was committed. It worked, the officers walked free.

I get the feeling that the deluge of corruption and lawbreaking at the heart of Johnson's leadership is having a similar effect on the UK voting public. Johnson, without a scintilla of shame, squats in his own sh*it and effectively says, "So what, this is who I am, get over it". You could take any one of the many, many corrupt actions of Johnson and recognise that past PMs would have immediately resigned as a matter of honour and protocol. Every day we seem to get another example of his depravity, yet  with each new piece of evidence the country seems to become more desensitized to the horror that the leader of our nation is corrupt to the very core, and utterly unfit for office. How have we come to this sorry state?

Here's the King video for those who have the stomach to watch it. I'd be surprised if you can make it to the end:

Johnson claimed he implicitly believed the BYB bash was a work event but his principal private secretary seems to have been in no doubt what it really was: “Best of luck - a complete non story but better than them focusing on our drinks (which we seem to have got away with).”

Just now, Herman said:

Feels like the fat Teflon **** will get away with it again. 

In some ways the longer he hangs on the better it is for Labour- if the Tories dump him and get a leader who exudes even the most miniscule sense of competence it makes things harder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

I have only just come across this nugget, which shows - not that anyone doubted it - that Johnson has been a liar and a cheat and a charlatan his whole life. The obituary for an FT journalist recounts how the FT reporter was the Brussels correspondent at the same time Johnson was there for the Daily Telegraph.

On one occasion Johnson couldn't be bothered to do the work and write his own story on whatever was the topic of the day. Actually probably didn't understand it. So he simply stole several paragraphs from the FT and passed it off as his. No attribution. And when the FT reporter complained of this blatant plagiarism Johnson just laughed it off as if it was some jolly Eton sixth-form jape.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

In some ways the longer he hangs on the better it is for Labour- if the Tories dump him and get a leader who exudes even the most miniscule sense of competence it makes things harder. 

So far this is perfect. Very damaging on several levels in ways the electorate will not forget or forgive but without one irrefutable piece of evidence so damning that even Johnson would have to resign or would be sacked by his party if he didn't.

Very notable that there is virtually no one on the Tory benches. All the questions are coming from the opposition, and no Tory willing to play the sycophant.

So many little avoidable missteps too- why not say you'll apologise to the cleaners directly rather than claiming your statement to the commons cover it?

We've witnessed some of the problems with our politics this lunchtime ("I'm humbled" 😂) with such a leader - I've previously characterised him as being a 'puer aeturnus'.

A lovely example today was Johnson's term for Keir Starmer as "Beer Korma". It takes some kind of childishness to take a serious subject and trivialise it with such inappropriate humour, to obsfuscate in that way, to find a funny line to detract.

It shows such a defence at play - so wounded was he by the quiet and serious person opposite. We ought not forget that this joker (in the literal sense here, not as an abusive throwaway label) is our PM! And a PM leading a governing Party. Just how our sides are aching at his japes.

I include an article on the puer type below, purely for interest. I find Johnson quite fascinating. He is heading for such a fall - at some stage.

I for one hope that the Tory party keep him...for the public will never forget. Recall his jolly words "let the bodies pile high"...many people will. He is making his party toxic. This child-man is leading our country into a state of perpetual childhood. The parties, the gatherings are showing us all just how his leadership plays out. And 'play' it is! People after all need to just "let off steam". Not for him the serious matter of governing. And after all a 'world king' can do anything can't he? We ought not forget too he 'played' with the Northern Ireland agreement and part of this he gambled us all on Brexit. Roll the dice, it might come up a six again.

An amazing spectacle. I'm guessing that the Ellwoods and Rory Stewarts and Robert Gales of the Conservative one nation party will in the end come out of it with respect and honour. The Cabinet sychophants will have taken the wrong side - of history.

Anyway, although an interest of mine I've copied just one article on the type called the puer aeturnus should anyone else be interested. Or ignore. I was interested to read similar articles comparing Trump too with associations to this type.

Puers can be very convincing, funny, charismatic. But ultimately they are about themselves.

We live in interesting times don't we.

https://frithluton.com/articles/understanding-puer-puella-syndrome/

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing that will finally seal his fate will be the report from the standards and privileges committee. It's hard to see how they can fail to conclude that he knowingly mislead (lied) to parliament, given the content of the Gray report (especially the photos).

34 minutes ago, sonyc said:

A lovely example today was Johnson's term for Keir Starmer as "Beer Korma". It takes some kind of childishness to take a serious subject and trivialise it with such inappropriate humour, to obsfuscate in that way, to find a funny line to detract.

Actually it was Sir Beer Korma.

Please tell us you didn't  laugh.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

There is that, but I do fear what another couple of years of this great corruptor will do to the country and its institutions. 

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Honestly, it was a really good line. Shame about the rest of what Johnson does.

Does anyone else feel like this performance from Johnson is like when Captain Renault in Casablanca says "I'm appalled have discovered that gambling is taking place in this establishment" whilst taking his chips.

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Honestly, it was a really good line. Shame about the rest of what Johnson does.

A clever pun but probably not a Johnson original.

Kudos to whoever came up with it. I must admit my failure to stifle a chortle ended up with tea coming out of my nose. Mrs R gave me a look of total distain. Probably deserved in the circumstances

• Haha 1

I just don't get how SKS allowed the debate to turn into a stage for Johnson to turn it onto him. The Durham meeting is still, apparently, being investigated by Plod. He shouldn't have brought it up first. He allowed Boris the last word. The last joke. The last chuckle.

He should have been able to reply with it and ask Boris if he agreed he should resign if DurhamPolice give him a fine.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I just don't get how SKS allowed the debate to turn into a stage for Johnson to turn it onto him. The Durham meeting is still, apparently, being investigated by Plod. He shouldn't have brought it up first. He allowed Boris the last word. The last joke. The last chuckle.

He should have been able to reply with it and ask Boris if he agreed he should resign if DurhamPolice give him a fine.

I'm honestly not sure it matters that much. When you look at this forum, everyone reading this thread has a fixed opinion anyway. Basically none of us haven't already decided what we think of Johnson.

The important thing is how this plays out with voters who aren't following this live, and they will see an out of sequence cut of both sides bets lines like a new signings YouTube video (and we know how accurate they are).

The thing that I found curious is the snap YouGov poll on the back of this, which shows 26% of Tory voters saying he should resign and 11% unsure. That's actually very dangerous territory for a prime minister.

Edited by 1902

55 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I found it very interesting most of all.  Really interesting. Johnson is so much like a child wanting attention. Even though he is meant to be a statesperson not a comic. And amazingly, lots of people find him funny. If I was in his company I'm sure I would have a laugh with him. But then, I would never give away what my true feelings were. We all have to get on with others don't we?

As a leader of a country the whole affair though is far from funny. A lot of folk are really upset because of what they had to do in the lockdowns. Just my take Ricardo (and at least 50% - possibly more will disagree with me).

I reckon even his party have factored in Partygate into their calculations. 

As for jokes overall, far better ones have been posted on this forum. There is sharper humour about (thankfully).

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

So far this is perfect. Very damaging on several levels in ways the electorate will not forget or forgive but without one irrefutable piece of evidence so damning that even Johnson would have to resign or would be sacked by his party if he didn't.

What would make it pluperfect would be if there were enough letters to force a no-confidence vote and for him then to win that, which is almost certainly what would happen.

44 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Does anyone else feel like this performance from Johnson is like when Captain Renault in Casablanca says "I'm appalled have discovered that gambling is taking place in this establishment" whilst taking his chips.

"I am shocked, shocked, to find a party being held in my beer garden..."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There is a time and a place for everything….. four o’clock on a Friday at No 10 seems to nail it. 

I think most would have had a little snifter at  Sir Beer Korma😁