Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

10 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And to add to that, it was The Mirror, surprise surprise, that were responsible for the ‘top trolling and fear mongering’ with their inflammatory headline. They didn’t have to seize on that, they could have said ‘CMO/CMA advises not to hug the vulnerable at Christmas’.

Still, they’ve got nothing on that odious frog faced gonad Farage who is using his Twitter to encourage a mutiny which is nothing short of deliberately divisive and inflammatory, solely designed to benefit his own political agenda.He is the English equivalent of Trump and needs putting in jail.

Same headline in the telegraph if a more up marked publication will make you feel better about it....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/chief-medical-officer-warns-families-not-hug-elderly-relatives/amp/

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

1 minute ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

There’s a big difference between what you’ve said and replying along the lines of “not if you want them to survive” which is blatantly over the top and a ridiculous reply

I think most of us who heard his comments in their entirety got his real message that was one of responsibility, concern, and sensibility. Only the very dumbest of viewers and Nigel Farage would have taken that quick retort as Chris Whitty giving a guarantee that death would certainly follow! 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Same headline in the telegraph is a more up marked publication will make you feel better about it....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/chief-medical-officer-warns-families-not-hug-elderly-relatives/amp/

Good! In retrospect, you’ve made me think about it further, and so, if that melodrama as much saves just one of our more elderly relatives from being hugged by someone and given something this Christmas that they themselves can’t cope with, then it’s perhaps over the top headline will be worth it’s weight in gold 👍

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Good! In retrospect, you’ve made me think about it further, and so, if that melodrama as much saves just one of our more elderly relatives from being hugged by someone and given something this Christmas that they themselves can’t cope with, then it’s perhaps over the top headline will be worth it’s weight in gold 👍

Or perhaps create more solitude from their families and loneliness for elderly people at the end of their lives 👎

11 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Or perhaps create more solitude from their families and loneliness for elderly people at the end of their lives 👎

More melodrama, with respect Teemu. Lack of hugging doesn’t equate to loneliness, solitude or a lack of contact at all, does it?. He’s just saying when you spend Christmas Day etc with said vulnerable person, then don’t take any extra unnecessary risks such as super close personal contact. It’s not rocket science is it?

Edited by Alex Moss
Wrong word

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

More melodrama, with respect Teemu. Lack of hugging doesn’t equate to loneliness, solitude or a lack of contact at all, does it?. He’s just saying when you spend Christmas Day etc with said vulnerable person, then don’t take any extra unnecessary risks such as super close personal contact. It’s not rocket science is it?

It’s the message again which is that of scare mongering to discourage any contact, he clearly doesn’t agree people should be able to meet for Xmas but make no mistake about it, if it were up to sage and Chris whitty they would have had us all locked in doors with no contact from the beginning of this until a vaccine were available. They have consistently ignored all other aspects of this situation as they are so blinkered by a what has transpired to be a nowhere near as deadly as first feared virus. 

7 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

It’s the message again which is that of scare mongering to discourage any contact, he clearly doesn’t agree people should be able to meet for Xmas but make no mistake about it, if it were up to sage and Chris whitty they would have had us all locked in doors with no contact from the beginning of this until a vaccine were available. They have consistently ignored all other aspects of this situation as they are so blinkered by a what has transpired to be a nowhere near as deadly as first feared virus. 

Ahhh. Think you miss the point on the severity of the virus, Teemu, as do many others across the nation such as Farage.

You’re focusing on Covid itself. And sure, the virus itself may not kill every human it comes into contact with but it’s the accumulative effect it has coupled with all the other unrelated hospital admissions at this time of year. If the hospitals get overwhelmed due to a massive surge in inpatients then more people will die of OTHER ailments.

This whole situation is so much more than the percentage of Covid deaths, and people like that pompous tw@ Farage need to wake up to this kind of slightly important fact!

• Like 1

A question for those of you that believe the response to this virus from world governments is solely about the health and well being of their populations. If it were purely for those reasons then why have we never seen such a financial response to finding cures and prevention to cancers which statistically we all have a 50% chance of having? Why do we have to rely on charity’s to fund cancer research if the governments of the world are so concerned for their people’s health and well being? 

7 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

It's a balance though isn't it Teemu? Scaremongering is certainly a feature of reporting in the pandemic (what should we expect?). The press conference was awkward in messaging because they were trying to water down (or a better term would be caution) the kind of meeting up they've guided before as permissible (3 family groupings).

I believe Whitty stated that you might avoid a hug now so that you may hug later ...intimating once the vaccine is distributed. And it's a fair point but one where it is difficult to provide too much sensitivity!

Being someone that will be welcoming another household into the house at Xmas who is in his twenties and then another in their eighties, one of whom lives in another tier 3 area and could easily be asymptomatic (isn't that how it spreads apart from the purely irresponsible folk?). When you have to make decisions on such a personal matter, I guess you would be worried.

Reminds me of the poster who provided the analogy that if you were to decide to get on a train knowing it would crash and derail but 19 of the 20 carriages would be fine, would you still get on it?

What is more scaremongering than a minority of the world claiming its all a conspiracy?

I wouldn't bother outlining that theory to the relatives of those who had no underlying health problems and were not elderly. And without proof either.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What is more scaremongering than a minority of the world claiming its all a conspiracy?

I wouldn't bother outlining that theory to the relatives of those who had no underlying health problems and were not elderly. And without proof either.

I am of the view that quite a few people are very untrustworthy of lots of things Keelansgrandad... and hence conspiracy theories are very attractive. It's akin to a world view that everyone is out to get you. The focus is always on a problem but rarely the solution.

Yet, for all these theories there is always a kernel of truth in there. Same for Brexit or poverty or left and right etc etc. It's where you draw the line and how flexible too, you're willing to be.

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I am of the view that quite a few people are very untrustworthy of lots of things Keelansgrandad... and hence conspiracy theories are very attractive. It's akin to a world view that everyone is out to get you. The focus is always on a problem but rarely the solution.

Yet, for all these theories there is always a kernel of truth in there. Same for Brexit or poverty or left and right etc etc. It's where you draw the line and how flexible too, you're willing to be.

Unfortunately, some of those that watch governments and authorities stumble in any crisis use the tiniest mistake to endorse their ideas that black is just a dark shade of white.

57 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It's a balance though isn't it Teemu? Scaremongering is certainly a feature of reporting in the pandemic (what should we expect?). The press conference was awkward in messaging because they were trying to water down (or a better term would be caution) the kind of meeting up they've guided before as permissible (3 family groupings).

I believe Whitty stated that you might avoid a hug now so that you may hug later ...intimating once the vaccine is distributed. And it's a fair point but one where it is difficult to provide too much sensitivity!

Being someone that will be welcoming another household into the house at Xmas who is in his twenties and then another in their eighties, one of whom lives in another tier 3 area and could easily be asymptomatic (isn't that how it spreads apart from the purely irresponsible folk?). When you have to make decisions on such a personal matter, I guess you would be worried.

Reminds me of the poster who provided the analogy that if you were to decide to get on a train knowing it would crash and derail but 19 of the 20 carriages would be fine, would you still get on it?

To be honest I’d put this response down as more akin to chopping your leg off the cure an ingrown toenail! 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

C93603BB-D27F-4AE3-9D10-7F42B569E3DC.png

2 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

There’s a big difference between what you’ve said and replying along the lines of “not if you want them to survive” which is blatantly over the top and a ridiculous reply

It’s not what Whitty said why change his words or find somebody that has. Like Sonyc I have now been in lock down since September with a break of about 6 weeks, why would we want to be there again in January.

2 hours ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

It’s going well in the US. 

24 minutes ago, Well b back said:

It’s not what Whitty said why change his words or find somebody that has. Like Sonyc I have now been in lock down since September with a break of about 6 weeks, why would we want to be there again in January.

I never watched it but that what has been widely reported. Again in a bbc article here “ if you want them to survive to be hugged again” so are all these reports changing his words?

0E4C7C1B-442C-4115-983D-8BC94BBEAF47.thumb.png.eee1865b9f57c137eed36474f4fa91ad.png

Why would a populist government lead by a man obsessed by popularity ratings, do something that makes them incredibly unpopular Teemu? 

1 hour ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

I never watched it but that what has been widely reported. Again in a bbc article here “ if you want them to survive to be hugged again” so are all these reports changing his words?

0E4C7C1B-442C-4115-983D-8BC94BBEAF47.thumb.png.eee1865b9f57c137eed36474f4fa91ad.png

So you didn’t even watch it but entered into debate with myself and others that did? Talking like you’d heard every word and even trying to (wrongly) correct me on what he said and in which manner.

F*** me.

This message board sometimes! 

P.s I thought the whole point of being a conspiracy theorist was not believing everything/anything you read? Ironic!

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So you didn’t even watch it but entered into debate with myself and others that did? Talking like you’d heard every word and even trying to (wrongly) correct me on what he said and in which manner.

F*** me.

This message board sometimes! 

P.s I thought the whole point of being a conspiracy theorist was not believing everything/anything you read? Ironic!

Every single news outlet is quoting the line that’s highlighted. Perhaps you just didn’t hear it? Perhaps you should clean your ears out occasionally....

here’s another one with a minister agreeing with my point on it should be up to the individual. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8993539/Robert-Jenrick-says-hugging-family-Christmas-personal-decision.html

10 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Every single news outlet is quoting the line that’s highlighted. Perhaps you just didn’t hear it? Perhaps you should clean your ears out occasionally....

here’s another one with a minister agreeing with my point on it should be up to the individual. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8993539/Robert-Jenrick-says-hugging-family-Christmas-personal-decision.html

Brilliant, give your glasses a polish - earlier post of mine makes it very clear I heard it. Because, unlike yourself, I actually watched it and understood the real message being conveyed.

And you clearly can’t grasp why each paper you list has run with that headline?

Could it be that they know that was exactly what would make people buy their publication? 

Or would it sell better with ‘CMO advises not to come into close personal contact with elderly’?

Seriously, wake up pal! 🤦🏻‍♂️

And linking possibly the most sensationalist garbage of all time was absolutely the last thing you should have used to add strength to your argument with respect! 😉

20 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

And maybe Jenrick did. Whitty’s message was very clear - he just didn’t personally recommend it! And nothing wrong with that at all! Jeez, this is the hardest work I’ve had in the entirety of lockdown! 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Alex Moss said:

And maybe Jenrick did. Whitty’s message was very clear - he just didn’t personally recommend it! And nothing wrong with that at all! Jeez, this is the hardest work I’ve had in the entirety of lockdown! 😉

Yep this is the main bit of what he said when asked ‘ what will you be doing Christmas Day hugging your elderly relatives ‘.  

Speaking at a Downing Street press conference on Thursday, Prof Whitty - who revealed he would be "on the wards" over Christmas - said: "Would I want someone to see their family? Of course, that's what Christmas is about. 

"But would I encourage someone to hug and kiss their elderly relatives? No, I would not. 

"It's not against the law - and that's the whole point. You can do it within the rules that are there, but it does not make sense because you could be carrying the virus and if you've got an elderly relative, that would not be the thing you'd want to do in the period where we are running up to a point where we actually might be able to protect older people. 

"So I think people just have to have sense. The fact that you can do something - this is true across so many other areas of life - doesn't mean you should."

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Yep this is the main bit of what he said when asked ‘ what will you be doing Christmas Day hugging your elderly relatives ‘.  

Speaking at a Downing Street press conference on Thursday, Prof Whitty - who revealed he would be "on the wards" over Christmas - said: "Would I want someone to see their family? Of course, that's what Christmas is about. 

"But would I encourage someone to hug and kiss their elderly relatives? No, I would not. 

"It's not against the law - and that's the whole point. You can do it within the rules that are there, but it does not make sense because you could be carrying the virus and if you've got an elderly relative, that would not be the thing you'd want to do in the period where we are running up to a point where we actually might be able to protect older people. 

"So I think people just have to have sense. The fact that you can do something - this is true across so many other areas of life - doesn't mean you should."

Out of reactions, WBB - but well done for posting EXACTLY what he said. 

I mean no disrespect to Teemu, but the bloke really can’t preach to us on Chris Whitty’s tone then later on admit he ‘didn’t actually watch it’ 🤦🏻‍♂️. That’s just ridiculous! And is a good example of how these papers work, reeling in the gullible with their words of melodramatic sensationalism.

I honestly think you’d have to be seriously unwell not to read Whitty’s words and think there was anything remotely out of order in the comments that chap has made. People (and scummy media outlets) are talking like he’s just made it illegal! I despair sometimes 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

21 minutes ago, Well b back said:

He says the quote very clearly in this video 

37 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Out of reactions, WBB - but well done for posting EXACTLY what he said. 

I mean no disrespect to Teemu, but the bloke really can’t preach to us on Chris Whitty’s tone then later on admit he ‘didn’t actually watch it’ 🤦🏻‍♂️. That’s just ridiculous! And is a good example of how these papers work, reeling in the gullible with their words of melodramatic sensationalism.

I honestly think you’d have to be seriously unwell not to read Whitty’s words and think there was anything remotely out of order in the comments that chap has made. People (and scummy media outlets) are talking like he’s just made it illegal! I despair sometimes 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Here is the quote. Poor choice of words that was always going to be picked up on by news for its sensational nature