Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

36 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

But not everyone will be susceptible so 100%  of the global population wouldn’t get it and that’s before a level of immunity has been reached

thats assuming a 1% mortality rate and no reinfection.

Maybe Donald Trump USA will be the willing guinea pigs for us to let the virus rip. Apparently he's gonna get rid of lockdowns if he gets in office.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

But not everyone will be susceptible so 100%  of the global population wouldn’t get it and that’s before a level of immunity has been reached

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-heterogeneous-populations-herd-immunity-quicker.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I found this a reasonably interesting read. Think it will be a huge help for our vaccine strategy if we prove to be a largely heterogeneous population.

For example, me, a young and healthy person working from home in a low incidence area is way less likely to be both infected and harmed by this virus compared to say a 60 year old south Asian doctor living in the middle of Leeds and working in a busy covid filled hospital.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Maybe Donald Trump USA will be the willing guinea pigs for us to let the virus rip. Apparently he's gonna get rid of lockdowns if he gets in office.

Let’s hope they have spent the majority of their lockdown time on a treadmill then

15 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Of cause it’s  common sense, I don’t want to catch it either, or the flu or any other virus for that matter. My point has been made already though. The media through the advice of sage and the government have deliberately put the fear of god into people, this has never, ever happened before, to get into people’s heads deliberately this way. It’s cruel to certain people’s mental health to have them live their lives with this level of fear. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-shot-dead-mum-took-22934173.amp

The media is wide ranging, the mainstream has pretty much taken the line of SAGE, they are the recognised experts and are pretty much representative of most main stream science. I have seen coverage of alternative views, probably given the air time it deserves in terms it’s scientific base.

Edited by Van wink

17 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The media is pretty wide ranging, they mainstream has pretty much taken the line of SAGE, they are the recognised experts and are pretty much representative of most main stream science. I have seen coverage of alternative views, probably given the air time it deserves in terms it’s scientific base.

The media have just been compliant to what sage and the government have told them to do. I’m more referring to the  sage document that told the government to use the media to “ramp up a personal level of threat using hard hitting emotional messages” As I said, it’s cruel and not something I would expect from so called elite scientists and our government to deliberately get into people’s heads this way. Makes me wonder that if and when this is over if  some people will be able to make the transition back to what we knew as normality 

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

4 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

The media have just been compliant to what sage and the government have told them to do. I’m more referring to the leaked sage document that told the government to use the media to “ramp up a personal level of threat using hard hitting emotional messages” As I said, it’s cruel and not something I would expect from so called elite scientists and our government to deliberately get into people’s heads this way. Makes me wonder that if and when this is over if  some people will be able to make the transition back to what we knew as normality 

They needed people to take it seriously. We have probably the best media in the world, even now. 
I don’t know if you have ever lived abroad, you want to try even a country like Turkey, a fellow NATO member, if you want to see how the press is controlled and get into your head. 

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

I’d make a presumption that it will come round every year like the flu

Could you decide if we can catch it again or not, it is very important.

We have vaccines and treatments for flu, although there maybe the same for Covid soon until that time what can we do to stop it overwhelming the NHS. I just wish there was an answer.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

They needed people to take it seriously.

This.

The amount of people just flat out refusing to follow even simple guidelines is staggering, and a softly softly approach just doesn't work.

Personally I'm very much afraid of catching covid, being overweight and diabetic puts me already at a higher risk than the average person, and I don't really care if the odds are 'only' 0.05% or whatever, I don't want to be in that percentage, and certainly don't want to be there just because someone decided it was imperative I still keep delivering fridges for people's mancaves instead of being safe.

We have to consider the economy and mental health issues overall though, but I do feel allowance needs to be made for people who are at higher risk instead of just sending them into work regardless and simply hoping they not only don't catch it, but don't have a serious case and die from it.

Thought you might like to read an article on the 57 and 68 flu pandemics.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31201-0/fulltext

Also, if I was being insensitive I could point that 'only' about 70,000 civilian deaths occured in the UK in WW2 - about what Covid has caused already.

Just for perspective on fear.

By the way my grandparents house was hit by an incendary. My parents where late teenagers. They didn't talk about it much.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Think he confirmed that today. At least the Americans will effectively have vote to decide their Coronavirus policies.

Top virus expert Anthony Fauci has sharply criticised the White House handling of the pandemic, telling the Washington Post newspaper that the country is "in for a whole lot of hurt. It's not a good situation".

"All the stars are aligned in the wrong place as you go into the fall and winter season, with people congregating at home indoors,” he went on. “You could not possibly be positioned more poorly."

In the interview, Dr Fauci contrasted the two presidential candidates' approach to the pandemic. 

He told the newspaper that Mr Biden was "taking it seriously from a public health perspective”, while President Trump had a different perspective and was focusing on “the economy and reopening the country”.

The White House has accused Dr Fauci of "playing politics" ahead of the election. On Saturday the US confirmed more than 99,000 new infections, a daily record.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said Dr Fauci's comments were "unacceptable".

“As a member of the Task Force, Dr Fauci has a duty to express concerns or push for a change in strategy, but he’s not done that, instead choosing to criticise the President in the media and make his political leanings known by praising the President’s opponent," he said.

Dr Fauci also said he had less access to Mr Trump than previously, last spoke to him at the beginning of the month, when Mr Trump was recovering from the virus, and said the White House no longer wanted to hear his message because "it wasn’t what they wanted to do anymore".

“He insists he’s not somebody who’s pushing for herd immunity... everything is geared toward the concept of ‘it doesn’t make any difference if people get infected. It’s a waste of time. Masks don’t work. Who cares.’”

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31201-0/fulltext

Also, if I was being insensitive I could point that 'only' about 70,000 civilian deaths occured in the UK in WW2 - about what Covid has caused already.

By the way my grandparents house was hit by an incendary. My parents where late teenagers. They didn't talk about it much.

I’d imagine the threat of a bomb dropping on your house would be infinitely scarier than catching a virus. 

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Think he confirmed that today. At least the Americans will effectively have vote to decide their Coronavirus policies.

Top virus expert Anthony Fauci has sharply criticised the White House handling of the pandemic, telling the Washington Post newspaper that the country is "in for a whole lot of hurt. It's not a good situation".

"All the stars are aligned in the wrong place as you go into the fall and winter season, with people congregating at home indoors,” he went on. “You could not possibly be positioned more poorly."

In the interview, Dr Fauci contrasted the two presidential candidates' approach to the pandemic. 

He told the newspaper that Mr Biden was "taking it seriously from a public health perspective”, while President Trump had a different perspective and was focusing on “the economy and reopening the country”.

The White House has accused Dr Fauci of "playing politics" ahead of the election. On Saturday the US confirmed more than 99,000 new infections, a daily record.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said Dr Fauci's comments were "unacceptable".

“As a member of the Task Force, Dr Fauci has a duty to express concerns or push for a change in strategy, but he’s not done that, instead choosing to criticise the President in the media and make his political leanings known by praising the President’s opponent," he said.

Dr Fauci also said he had less access to Mr Trump than previously, last spoke to him at the beginning of the month, when Mr Trump was recovering from the virus, and said the White House no longer wanted to hear his message because "it wasn’t what they wanted to do anymore".

“He insists he’s not somebody who’s pushing for herd immunity... everything is geared toward the concept of ‘it doesn’t make any difference if people get infected. It’s a waste of time. Masks don’t work. Who cares.’”

I genuinely fear for my colleagues over in Wisconsin if that orange buffoon gets back in.

I wonder how long he'd leave chaos to ensue before giving up on a "no lockdown" strategy

2 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

I’d imagine the threat of a bomb dropping on your house would be infinitely scarier than catching a virus. 

Well, if it's only a 0.05% chance of of being hit and dying from the bomb, I guess it's no more worrying than Covid right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

My Aunt worked at Boulton and Paul, obviously a big part of the war effort. One particular day as they were leaving work a German fighter targeted them with machine guns. Her life and another girls were saved as an older guy pushed them to the floor and used himself to protect them. He was hit but did survive but she was ever grateful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Well, if it's only a 0.05% chance of of being hit and dying from the bomb, I guess it's no more worrying than Covid right?

Depends on how you perceive threat I would guess. You’ve probably got a 0.01 percent chance of dying falling down the stairs but I don’t give it a seconds thought. If we’re also perceiving threat to our daily activities then I’ve also never given much thought to it every time I get in my car 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11938458/chance-dying-accident-coronavirus/

2 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

There is a story of my grandparents preparing early with a shelter but the neighbours being not too bothered until after the first raid. Would mess up the garden

The neighbours where very bothered afte that first raid !

Analogy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I genuinely fear for my colleagues over in Wisconsin if that orange buffoon gets back in.

I wonder how long he'd leave chaos to ensue before giving up on a "no lockdown" strategy

Is it correct that Fauci is really well respected in the States or is that a myth. 

10 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Depends on how you perceive threat I would guess. You’ve probably got a 0.01 percent chance of dying falling down the stairs but I don’t give it a seconds thought

I can avoid stairs if I want (have lived in flats and bungalows for nearly 20 years), I can't avoid Covid that easily, especially when unlike stairs - I can't see it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I can avoid stairs if I want (have lived in flats and bungalows for nearly 20 years), I can't avoid Covid that easily, especially when unlike stairs - I can't see it.

What about if your customers man cave that needs a fridge delivering to is on the second floor?

19 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Is it correct that Fauci is really well respected in the States or is that a myth. 

I guess it depends what side of the line you're on... Given I work in the drug trial sector, I'd imagine most of my colleagues do respect him... I don't talk politics with them though.

3 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

What about if your customers man cave that needs a fridge delivering to is on the second floor?

Kerbside delivery.

I'm not lugging anything upstairs, that's the customers problem.

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I guess it depends what side of the line you're on... Given I work in the drug trial sector, I'd imagine most of my colleagues do respect him... I don't talk politics with them though.

You maybe interested BBC2 about to start Trump and The Coronavirus 

10 hours ago, Herman said:

This reminds me of the daft argument about the Y2K problem. Because it didn't happen it must have been a made up problem, ignoring the fact that millions of dollars and hours were spent making sure it didn't become a problem.

They did spend millions of dollars and hours on Y2K, but how do you know that it was the spending and not something else that made sure it didn't become a problem?

9 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

It’s only been on 2 minutes can see your friends problems already. 

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You maybe interested BBC2 about to start Trump and The Coronavirus 

the guy is not worth my time... would rather watch Pride of Britain awards

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Kerbside delivery.

I'm not lugging anything upstairs, that's the customers problem.

I can’t find the chances of dying from a fridge related stairs incident but here’s these, apparently we have a 250,000,000 / 1 chance of dying from a falling coconut 😳

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/scientists-calculate-odd-ways-die-282884

5 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

I can’t find the chances of dying from a fridge related stairs incident but here’s these, apparently we have a 250,000,000 / 1 chance of dying from a falling coconut 😳

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/scientists-calculate-odd-ways-die-282884

Does that take into account a massive increase in number of coconuts?

I remember reading that you had more chance of being killed by a fridge than winning the lottery, but as with the stairs, I can see a fridge coming and actively try to avoid it if needed, not so much with pandemics 😉

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Does that take into account a massive increase in number of coconuts?

I remember reading that you had more chance of being killed by a fridge than winning the lottery, but as with the stairs, I can see a fridge coming and actively try to avoid it if needed, not so much with pandemics 😉

I’d imagine you’ve far more chance of dying from a coconut in India than in say Yarmouth, Chlamydia on the other hand.... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

I know

I would always laugh at her in the school holidays and say I pay my taxes so you can sit at home, then however we would be out in town and the children would come over and say hello miss how are you today. I would later in life see those that did not have a hope in the world, mainly because of their parents, come running across to tell her of a success in their life ( could have only been getting a factory job ) and you could see she had contributed to that and the respect they had for her standing by them when everyone else walked away.

By all means these people can object to my postings and make it personal if they wish, it’s my choice to post my views, but to attack our nurses, doctors and teachers who are the most effected I have to say I find that distasteful.

A bit like a tour what’s said on a board stays on a board but that attitude does become challenging at times especially with the racist remark last night from our friend Jools.

Your unconscious middle-class bias kicking in there, WBB.