Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I was only band because I mentioned Bill's real name, which I felt was unfair 

And thus you demonstrate why people end up ridiculing you for your stupidity. Naming someone against their wishes is wrong in-itself, but when one realises the security implications it becomes a serious offence. It is not difficult to trace someone's address if one knows their name. We have seen more than enough people assaulted and killed having been traced through social media. NO ONE should reveal another person's details.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

No, but he you did not state that I could not 

Idiotic! No one has to state that you don't have permission to publicly reveal their real name. The prohibition on that is both obvious and a part of the conditions for participation on the board. That you can even think you have licence to do something if you haven't been expressly told not to is something that one might expect of a 4-year old, not a so-called adult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

No, but he you did not state that I could not 

You have never stated that I cannot claim to own your house.

Yes, its that ridiculous.

Brexit Britain or post Covid Britain? You decide😅

Or ..an opportunity for some baby boomers?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

https://www.ft.com/content/218e34b3-3e3e-4655-920e-a475862a9d21

Brexit is a slow bleed for the City of London

After a pandemic pause, the movement of jobs and business towards the continent is set to resume.

• Haha 3

Another day, another broken brexit promise. "The government pledged to match lost EU funding after Brexit –“tackle inequality and deprivation”, it said". "Business groups and local councils are protesting at a hidden £1.65bn post-Brexit cut to development funding in the North". The problem is, as the UK economy continues to shrink, post brexit, where else will the axe fall?

Edited by RobJames

An example, close to home. One that is being replicated up and down the country as business moves to the continent. UK checks at the border due to come in on January 1st 2021, delayed until July, then pushed back to October have been pushed back until July 2022. So much for taking back control. As with migrants. Once out of the EU the cooperation that afforded has gone. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/22/all-my-friends-went-home-a-fruit-picker-on-life-without-eu-workers

I've a feeling some of you would like to go the other way !

Thousands of EU citizens are still applying for settled status in the UK long after the government’s post-Brexit cutoff date.

The deadline for EU citizens to apply to remain the UK was 30 June 2021 with the government insisting it would only accept late applications for its settlement scheme with a reasonable excuse. Home Office data reveals that the UK government has been inundated with 236,840 applications between the end of June and November, with analysis by Bloomberg revealing that 65,000 requests were made in October alone.

With the Home Office racing to keep up with demand 463,000 applications have been concluded after the June 30 deadline, adding to some 5.5m outcomes, of which just 7 per cent were refused, withdrawn or declared invalid.

21 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I've a feeling some of you would like to go the other way !

Thousands of EU citizens are still applying for settled status in the UK long after the government’s post-Brexit cutoff date.

The deadline for EU citizens to apply to remain the UK was 30 June 2021 with the government insisting it would only accept late applications for its settlement scheme with a reasonable excuse. Home Office data reveals that the UK government has been inundated with 236,840 applications between the end of June and November, with analysis by Bloomberg revealing that 65,000 requests were made in October alone.

With the Home Office racing to keep up with demand 463,000 applications have been concluded after the June 30 deadline, adding to some 5.5m outcomes, of which just 7 per cent were refused, withdrawn or declared invalid.

And?

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And?

Does he understand what settled status is?

If I was living and working in an EU country I would definitely apply to stay there, not doing so would be daft. 

The EU citizens applying for settled status are very wise, they will end up with more rights than UK citizens.

• Like 2

Forget all the scary reports from the government's own departments such as the National Audit Office, and Office of Budget Responsibility, all we need to do is pay a visit to Peppa Pig World and the wonderful future of the UK will become startlingly clear:

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm English not Scottish Irish or welsh and defiantly not European, how many on here can say that ? 

We "can" all say it, we're just not xenophobic and thick enough to do so

Edited by horsefly

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I'm English not Scottish Irish or welsh and defiantly not European, how many on here can say that ? 

England is in Europe. That's a geographical fact.

Also. I really don't care if you can say that as it's irrelevant. 

I was born in (what was then West) Germany, I can only say I'm British.

But I can choose to be either English, Scottish, Welsh or (Northern) Irish.

I'm still waiting for an international call up before I commit.

• Like 1

Just now, SwindonCanary said:

I know it's in Europe, but I want nothing to do with it, thanks, the same as the others I mentioned 

You want nothing to do with England? That's one hell of a take that I didn't see coming.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

I was born in (what was then West) Germany, I can only say I'm British.

But I can choose to be either English, Scottish, Welsh or (Northern) Irish.

I'm still waiting for an international call up before I commit.

You could also play for Germany should you wish to win a trophy someday. 

• Haha 1

Just now, 1902 said:

You could also play for Germany should you wish to win a trophy someday. 

No, I don't think that was ever an option, born in a RAF hospital and registered at the British Consul.

When I was 14 I went to the geburtsland on a school exchange (something that Brexit has put the kybosh on) and the family I stayed with did grant me honorary citizenship but I don't think it was official. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

Whilst in the Navy I Represented  Navy Scotland at cross country, just because I wanted a race.

Tbh, it was probably in the Navy's interest to keep you firmly on dry land.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Whilst in the Navy I Represented  Navy Scotland at cross country, just because I wanted a race.

racist