Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

34 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

So how is business clearly ramping up sales focus in a part of the world (and the markets clearly being more receptive to buying our products) where we have agreements about to come into effect any different to companies acting to move away from the UK in anticipation of leaving the EU? How can one be called cause and effect but not the other?

Because businesses who left before Brexit EXPLICITLY stated they were leaving because of Brexit (CAUSE). Because businesses who have left after Brexit have EXPLICITLY stated they left because of Brexit (CAUSE). We have been selling to countries who are now in the CPTPP for multiple decades. Businesses who can are increasing sales to those and other non-EU countries because they have been forced to because of the difficulties of exporting to the Single Market. The cause is not membership of the CPTPP (we're not yet a member) but because of the impediments caused by Brexit. Even the government admits that for the foreseeable future CPTPP membership will be negligible in its effect on GDP. Particularly compared to the losses caused by Brexit.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Because businesses who left before Brexit EXPLICITLY stated they were leaving because of Brexit (CAUSE). Because businesses who have left after Brexit have EXPLICITLY stated they left because of Brexit (CAUSE). We have been selling to countries who are now in the CPTPP for multiple decades. Businesses who can are increasing sales to those and other non-EU countries because they have been forced to because of the difficulties of exporting to the Single Market. The cause is not membership of the CPTPP (we're not yet a member) but because of the impediments caused by Brexit. Even the government admits that for the foreseeable future CPTPP membership will be negligible in its effect on GDP. Particularly compared to the losses caused by Brexit.  

I've just spent the last three hours sorting out PVA, LoC and foreign currency transactions. We've always sold everywhere.

All Brexit did was make the 'Cost of Sales' to Europe higher. It did nothing to make it cheaper elsewhere and as noted CPTTP hasn't even happened not that it will make a jot of difference anyway (we already had rolled over most EU deals). Of course businesses after Brexit looked again at more difficult markets further afield - grasping at straws so as to say but only a lunatic would paint that as a positive outcome of the major new difficulties in our previous  'domestic', larger markets. Perhaps we can sell more alcohol to Greenland as a de-icer?

The only 'positive' which of themselves has little really to do with Brexit are the PVA schemes and similar (trying to help cash flow) and reduce the extra red tape (imports from Europe used to be in simple terms  'VAT free' unlike the RoW - now with PVA schemes that is general). IPR of course was always available (with bonds). There is also a new import Tariff regime (a lot more zero % from 3 or 4%). 

Too much crap spoken by people with zero experience of import/export. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

How is it that complications for exports becomes stories to the EU all become about how it's bad for the UK, but stories about imports somehow avoid mention of how this is bad for EU exports and somehow just a story how it's also bad for the UK? Do you not think the remainer spin machine is a bit of a joke in its transparency? You'd have to be unbelievably thick not to see it.

The bit that's not said is that the impact this will have on EU exports to the UK is going to threaten their sales in favour of products from outside the EU. It's incentive for the EU and the UK to have discussion about tweaking rules towards a closer relationship, unlike now when the EU is checking all UK goods while we check nothing.

Also, they're making the project fear mistake of predicting 'chaos'; anything less than chaos is going to make them look very stupid.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

I'm not sure what article you read birdie but that was a honest appraisal of what is approaching, from a very reputable source. I just hope the government is being sensible and informing the public of some possible upheaval. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

How is it that complications for exports becomes stories to the EU all become about how it's bad for the UK, but stories about imports somehow avoid mention of how this is bad for EU exports and somehow just a story how it's also bad for the UK?

Hahahahahaha! Now I've heard it all. Brexit might be really shi*t for the UK but it's just as shi*t for the EU, so that makes it fine. Best laugh of the day. But just to help you out, when Brexit makes it difficult for the EU exporters to send their goods here that is also BAD for the UK consumer who has to pay higher prices and/or face empty shelves in supermarkets.

Edited by horsefly

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Hahahahahaha! Now I've heard it all. Brexit might be really shi*t for the UK but it's just as shi*t for the EU, so that makes it fine. Best laugh of the day. But just to help you out, when Brexit makes it difficult for the EU exporters to send their goods here that is also BAD for the UK consumer who has to pay higher prices and/or face empty shelves in supermarkets.

Please quote me where I said 'that makes it fine'; I'll wait.

It's not about it 'making it fine'; it's recognising that there is economic incentive for the EU to bend as time wears on and the political bruises wear away, because it's not a one way street.The corollary applies: UK goods being held up on the way to Europe is also bad for those on the continent. As I said, the one-sided spin always emphasising it as bad for only one party is somewhat farcical. The notion that we're entirely dependent on the EU for imports simply isn't true; if there was complete blockade (hypothetically, not suggesting it's a possibility before you get carried away with your stupid 'oh dears' and 'hahahas') on us by the EU, we can still get goods elsewhere.

To put it in the simplest terms, there's mutual incentive to make things closer as time wears on without us rejoining the single market or customs union, which are simply nonsense notions without joining the EU entirely, which we all know is why the truly traumatised remainers are still recycling all of this ad infinitum .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I'm not sure what article you read birdie but that was a honest appraisal of what is approaching, from a very reputable source. I just hope the government is being sensible and informing the public of some possible upheaval. 

No mention at all of views of continental exporters to the UK in the story. That's a major ommission given that trade involves a buyer and a seller.

Edit: My mistake. The story said EU suppliers 'might give up exporting to the UK'. Seriously: What a load of utter drivel. The FT should be embarrassed including such ridiculous comments.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The notion that we're entirely dependent on the EU for imports simply isn't true;

Where in God's name did I, or anybody else for that matter,  say that? You really are desperate to find something to distract from the obvious failure of Brexit.

• Like 2

Post Brexit, is it:

Easier for UK companies to export to the EU; as easy as before; harder than before? Harder.

Is it proven that not only is physical trade in goods easier when the countries involved are close together but that this also applies to trade, such as services, in cyberspace? Yes.

Is the EU single market not only the largest such in the world but the closest such to the UK? Yes, and Yes.

Has an equivalent-sized non-EU single market been created just off the west coast of the UK to provide trade opportunities for those lost or made impossibly expensive by Brexit? No.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Please quote me where I said 'that makes it fine'; I'll wait.

It's not about it 'making it fine'; it's recognising that there is economic incentive for the EU to bend as time wears on and the political bruises wear away, because it's not a one way street.The corollary applies: UK goods being held up on the way to Europe is also bad for those on the continent. As I said, the one-sided spin always emphasising it as bad for only one party is somewhat farcical. The notion that we're entirely dependent on the EU for imports simply isn't true; if there was complete blockade (hypothetically, not suggesting it's a possibility before you get carried away with your stupid 'oh dears' and 'hahahas') on us by the EU, we can still get goods elsewhere.

To put it in the simplest terms, there's mutual incentive to make things closer as time wears on without us rejoining the single market or customs union, which are simply nonsense notions without joining the EU entirely, which we all know is why the truly traumatised remainers are still recycling all of this ad infinitum .

Why would they give a flying whatever about the U.K. ?

Anyway all that you mention we were told wouldn’t happen, but it did. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

Why would they give a flying whatever about the U.K. ?

What a ridiculous question. Grow up.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Surely this is a joke? A delayed delivery at a supermarket? Really? For all anyone knows the delivery truck could have been involved in an accident.

Yes, we have no bananas. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Surely this is a joke? A delayed delivery at a supermarket? Really? For all anyone knows the delivery truck could have been involved in an accident.

Must be an awful lot of delivery truck accidents around the country (see last summer). Just an unfortunate coincidence how they have suddenly occurred post-Brexit. Can't remember any empty shelves before then.

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Must be an awful lot of delivery truck accidents around the country (see last summer). Just an unfortunate coincidence how they have suddenly occurred post-Brexit. Can't remember any empty shelves before then.

Is that cause or effect 😉 ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It's so odd that there's only random campaigny tweets about an isolated supermarket in Grantham on this apparently massive problem rather than actual news coverage. Last stories I can see searching online on this topic is Feb 2023.

Media conspiracy maybe?

It took him 7 years but the truth will eventually sink in with everyone

Web capture_23-1-2024_165819_twitter.com.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2024 at 12:18, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's so odd that there's only random campaigny tweets about an isolated supermarket in Grantham on this apparently massive problem rather than actual news coverage. Last stories I can see searching online on this topic is Feb 2023.

Media conspiracy maybe?

I don't think its odd at all, partly because it isn't a (now) generally the massive problem that it was originally post-Brexit (unless you live in Grantham apparantly 😀) but the main reason we no longer hear news coverage of it is that it has become so commonplace that it isn't newsworthy any more and indeed we have pretty much become 'used' to it as the new normal.

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not suggesting the picture above represent the new normal but I can pretty much guarantee that every time I head to my local supermarket(s) there will be at least a couple of items that won't be available, not anything exotic just basic grocery items that pre-Brexit would have always been available week-in, week-out. What the items are varies over time and is sometimes surprising - one of my particular bete noires, which is a very frequent offender is strong flour for breadmaking. Aldi haven't had any for months and if I get desperate and start trying other supermarkets then eventually I'll find some but often there a just a few battered packets of wholemeal and no white, or vice versa.

But enough of my problems!

The point is there are clearly still many problems in many supply chains in the UK and several years on they show no sign of getting sorted out, so it seems unlikely that they are going to. In fact when the new regulations finally get implemented on imports into the UK there is every chance that things will get even worse.

But its just not newsworthy any more and I guess most people are resigned to the fact that it just another facet of the sh*tshow that is Brexit and we've got to live with it for the forseeable, and until such time as we start to unwind Brexit or at least the shocking Johnson deal part of Brexit.

Anyway, probably a good job there's not too much on the shelves, since years of Tory austerity followed by Truss crashing what remained of our eceonomy means that most people can't afford to buy much stuff anyway......😀

• Like 1

Dug up a huge parsnip from me deep bed last weekend, enough to feed a family of four. 

Edited by Nik Vawn
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

Dug up a huge parsnip from me deep bed last weekend, enough to feed a family of four. 

That's one of Reform's potential candidates sorted.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

That's one of Reform's potential candidates sorted.

Did have a bit of root fly......

• Haha 1

Everyone's favourite Brexiter, Lord Dan Hannan. See how many of his predictions are going to come true.

19 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Well there's a surprise (didn't bother to read the rest of it tbh).

😂 Oh really........and yet you did bother to reply.

You really are a rather strange and perverse individual but if that is what floats your boat.......😂

35 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

GEnmlZOWMAAbPOq.thumb.png.5fe2087b50232f5a30dabb4edf73da8d.png

GEnXudQXgAALXFo.thumb.jpg.5b615b06bba5bf9088a74599341470df.jpg

They're missing 'Treasure Island' bigly.

Excellent stuff Jools.

If you can keep the misinformation going up until the election, that will be fantastic as your mates from the Reform party will take it all in, with the certainty that enough of them will vote Reform, but not enough to get any seats, but enough will vote to completely destroy the Tories.

So after laughing at your rubbish, I am now going to encourage it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Excellent stuff Jools.

If you can keep the misinformation going up until the election, that will be fantastic as your mates from the Reform party will take it all in, with the certainty that enough of them will vote Reform, but not enough to get any seats, but enough will vote to completely destroy the Tories.

So after laughing at your rubbish, I am now going to encourage it.

I think of his account as a spoof one - like Big Keith on the other side. Overall, life would be duller without them. Like his avatar might say "all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order"...😄...just a read of his words and then think what the opposite might be! That's what populists also do isn't it? 

It's a shame that he is also a David Bowie fan. I saw a graph referencing Bowie - also from the 2016 Brexit referendum. A very simple graph but holds a lot of water.

Footnote.

....my way of finding something to smile about after tonight's result.

IMG_20240124_220351.jpg

• Haha 2

On a lighter note, I have just received my first Brexit benefit, my Irish passport has just arrived. Without Brexit I would not have bothered, but having done so, I know so much more about my Irish heritage. My grandfather lied about his age to join the Royal Navy and led everyone to believe he was an orphan, when he was in fact born in a Dublin Workhouse out of wedlock. We couldn’t even trace his birth certificate, just an entry in the workhouse register. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dj11 said:

On a lighter note, I have just received my first Brexit benefit, my Irish passport has just arrived. Without Brexit I would not have bothered, but having done so, I know so much more about my Irish heritage. My grandfather lied about his age to join the Royal Navy and led everyone to believe he was an orphan, when he was in fact born in a Dublin Workhouse out of wedlock. We couldn’t even trace his birth certificate, just an entry in the workhouse register. 

Well done and congratulations.👍

• Thanks 2