Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

If that’s the best you can do it’s not worth the bother Bring back Billy!!!! 

Oh dear! Your playground provocations entertain for a few seconds but beyond that they prove you to be a crashing bore devoid of intellect. I really can't be bothered with your childishness any more, so unless you wish to post something on this thread that is actually about the subject matter I shall simply ignore you. Lots of people here are actually concerned about the consequences of Brexit, it's a shame that you aren't and just want to play silly games. More fool me for entertaining your feckless onanistic puerility longer than I should, but we live and learn. 

Edited by horsefly

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! Your playground provocations entertain for a few seconds but beyond that they prove you to be a crashing bore devoid of intellect. I really can't be bothered with your childishness any more, so unless you wish to post something on this thread that is actually about the subject matter I shall simply ignore you. Lot's of people here are actually concerned about the consequences of Brexit, it's a shame that you aren't and just want to play silly games. More fool me for entertaining your feckless onanistic puerility longer than I should, but we live and learn. 

Don’t get belligerent Billy, it’s not in character, you’re losing your identity with this charade😉

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

One good thing to come is that we may see a united Ireland in my lifetime. Well done DUP.👍

Brexit: New Irish Sea trade border begins operating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55498775

It must be fake news Herman. I distinctly remember Boris promising that he (indeed, any PM) would never countenance customs checks between Britain and Northern Ireland. And we all know that Boris would never lie just to seek personal advantage don't we?

• Haha 1

Clearly this must be fake news too from the Daily Mail (Cripes! the Editor must have been drunk to let this slip through):

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-delays-will-cause-mayhem-at-irish-ports-once-uk-leaves-eu/vi-BB1co29v?ocid=msedgntp

Brexit delays will cause "mayhem" at Irish ports once the UK leaves the EU, Irish hauliers have warned. The UK formally leaves the EU at 11pm on New Year's Eve after 48 years.

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

Pound at highest level against the dollar since the referendum....... DESPITE BREXIT and COVID    🤣

... and also strengthening against the Euro......... QUELLE SURPRISE !!        1 Euro = 89p

... and ditto for Thai Baht  ... one pound = 41 Baht 

😎

Paul, I was based in Bangkok when the Asian economic crises hit in 97. The baht fell from 42 to 84 in a single day and our salaries doubled overnight. 

Happy days. 

Expect strong growth in sterling and the stock market this year. Loverly-Jubberly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So Moyo is cheering a healthier looking pound, which has been helped by the announcement of the deal, even though he was cheering for a no deal. It really helps having such a "fluid" belief system.

Flip-flops anyone?

• Haha 1

I'm really not convinced about the pound/euro. Every prediction from the currency experts I've seen show a weakening pound. Yet these things change don't they. I don't necessarily see a strengthening pound though!

21 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I'm really not convinced about the pound/euro. Every prediction from the currency experts I've seen show a weakening pound. Yet these things change don't they. I don't necessarily see a strengthening pound though!

Markets do not like uncertainty more than anything. With Brexit and vaccine we have a much clearer picture of the year ahead

11 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Markets do not like uncertainty more than anything. With Brexit and vaccine we have a much clearer picture of the year ahead

That is exactly right. At least now with the terms of the deal known Brexit stops being a fundamental condition on currencies. Covid is still about. Longer term it depends on economic outlook of the UK and EU (of course of the US too). If we replayed the 1920s it will be a rocky ride!

Just for the record it's pretty obvious on here that most on here have never had to buy sell or hedge significant quantities of foreign currencies.

At the moment and for some time it's been all about dollar weakness (not the GBP). The surprise is that the GBP didn't rise more with the deal against USD.

That said the economic headwinds, a deal already priced in plus the bad Covid data don't delp - and of course light trading over the holiday period.

That and buy the rumour and sell the fact.

I realise Brexit voters will laugh at this but those wishing to be closer to Europe might be interested. The aim originally was to become associated members (as an individual). Anyway, link attached if anyone is interested. 160k are currently on their list and they wish to grow and lobby. I've joined.

Stay European https://www.stayeuropean.org/

Edited by sonyc

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

Yet another Project Fear scare story put to bed as reciprocal health care will continue :  

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1376874/ehic-card-healthcare-europe-holiday-brexit-deal-latest-news

Like everything with Brexit the repalcement is not as good as what we had before. EHIC cards were also valid in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. The GHIC card isn't.

Much like fishing quotas. Seems like some UK fisherman have had their quota actually cut by the wonderful agreement. They used to make up the value by quota swapping with their EU counterparts, this is now banned.

Good job Moyo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Much like fishing quotas. Seems like some UK fisherman have had their quota actually cut by the wonderful agreement. They used to make up the value by quota swapping with their EU counterparts, this is now banned.

Yes odd that one as the swapping arrangement benefits both side. I would expect to see issues such as these become resolved over time?

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

Yet another Project Fear scare story put to bed as reciprocal health care will continue :  

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1376874/ehic-card-healthcare-europe-holiday-brexit-deal-latest-news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

The government's advice, however, still says you should buy travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go on holiday.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

That is exactly right. At least now with the terms of the deal known Brexit stops being a fundamental condition on currencies. Covid is still about. Longer term it depends on economic outlook of the UK and EU (of course of the US too). If we replayed the 1920s it will be a rocky ride!

It is odd how some some posters here profess to be keen followers of and experts in the financial markets when their movements are to their liking (even though the reasons are almost always more complex and less overwhelmingly pure good news than they allow) but somehow find the subject a closed book when the trends are not amenable to them.🤓

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I will be waiting for the first problem to be announced and for Gordon Brown to get the blame.

Thinking about it what scapegoats have they got left?

The EU golden goose has stopped laying.

Remainers don't exist anymore and Rejoiners have barely got off the ground.

Labour haven't really got much say in what happens.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

And Boris will beggar off. Gove will get his dream job and be landed right in it.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

So Moyo is cheering a healthier looking pound, which has been helped by the announcement of the deal, even though he was cheering for a no deal. It really helps having such a "fluid" belief system.

Flip-flops anyone?

OK, I'll explain again for the dim-witted remoaners.

The reason for going for No Deal was in order to get a Good Deal ,as it was clear to the logical Brexiteers that the EU needed a deal more than us, which we should have done immediately after the referendum. 

Unfortunately, we wasted four years due to remoaners deliberately crippling the UK in parliament and the courts. 

Putting No Deal back on the table after the election, thanks to Boris and Sir Nigel, won us a good deal, but four years late imo, and disastrous in that thanks to remoaners it coincided with the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

There is only Mclean and Stiepermann left isn't there?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is odd how some some posters here profess to be keen followers of and experts in the financial markets when their movements are to their liking (even though the reasons are almost always more complex and less overwhelmingly pure good news than they allow) but somehow find the subject a closed book when the trends are not amenable to them.🤓

The whole pound saga was caused by project fear scaremongering and trying to delay the inevitable exit.  Of course we are now crowing as all of your scaremongering is being shown up for what we all knew it was. You knew it too and should be ashamed of yourselves.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Moyo's goalposts. Look, they have wheels for ease of movement.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnXF-kYGuH_Sx6xd_MQ92

My my, you really are dense.

31 minutes ago, paul moy said:

OK, I'll explain again for the dim-witted remoaners.

The reason for going for No Deal was in order to get a Good Deal ,as it was clear to the logical Brexiteers that the EU needed a deal more than us, which we should have done immediately after the referendum. 

Unfortunately, we wasted four years due to remoaners deliberately crippling the UK in parliament and the courts. 

Putting No Deal back on the table after the election, thanks to Boris and Sir Nigel, won us a good deal, but four years late imo, and disastrous in that thanks to remoaners it coincided with the pandemic. 

Wasn't it Boris and the ERG who crippled any deals in Parliament? Treachery that they voted against their own leader. May had a deal better than this one. But they didn't like the back stop. Now we have a border in the Irish Sea😂

And wasn't it France who shut Calais not the other way?

Farmers and Fishermen, staunch Tories, all moaning. The City ready to up sticks. 

That is the beauty of being right wing. You are allowed to lie and have a selective memory.

• Like 1

No, Paul. I've just spent 4 years reading your absolute nonsense, whether bigotry, lies, misinformation, rubbish links and just general ****posting and now that we are out of the EU you are still at it. Do us all a favour and sod off and only come back when you can prove that brexit isn't a disaster.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Wasn't it Boris and the ERG who crippled any deals in Parliament? Treachery that they voted against their own leader. May had a deal better than this one. But they didn't like the back stop. Now we have a border in the Irish Sea😂

And wasn't it France who shut Calais not the other way?

Farmers and Fishermen, staunch Tories, all moaning. The City ready to up sticks. 

That is the beauty of being right wing. You are allowed to lie and have a selective memory.

May's deal was remain as it locked us into the NI backstop.

Just now, Herman said:

No, Paul. I've just spent 4 years reading your absolute nonsense, whether bigotry, lies, misinformation, rubbish links and just general ****posting and now that we are out of the EU you are still at it. Do us all a favour and sod off and only come back when you can prove that brexit isn't a disaster.

Sore dense loser.  😎