Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, you're quite wrong BF. Tariffs on imported goods get paid by the exporting country. I know this because Trump has got Mexico to pay for the border wall by putting tariffs on imports into the US...🤓

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/trade-tariffs

Who pays tariffs?

In general, the importer pays the tariff. Tariffs are collected by the national customs authority of the country into which the goods are being brought (so tariffs on goods entering the UK will be paid to HMRC). Exporters do not usually ‘pay’ the tariff as such ­– rather, they experience adverse effects from their product being made more expensive on the foreign market. This means they may have to cut their prices to remain competitive, for example.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

You must be proud of your achievements. 

There was a deal which Parliament voted down 3 times 

A picture speaks a thousand words: The return of Dumb and Dumber

BB1a5yqt.jpg

Edited by horsefly
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

This is a non story.  Its all part of this long game everyone has been playing.

No deal isn't better than a bad deal.

Excellent news. Absolutely the right decision and shame that this wasn't our negotiating position in 2016 as we would have saved four years of EU nonsense. On the bright side it weeded out all those traitorous remoaners from Parliament so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Now it's time to go the offensive and start screwing the Irish and teach them a damn good lesson not to mess with us on backstops. When the Irish farmers have no ready market in the UK perhaps they will turn their attention to those prats in Dublin.

Let's get the Royal Navy immediately deployed to the Channel. French fishing boats and small rubber dinghies being legitimate targets,

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Excellent news. Absolutely the right decision and shame that this wasn't our negotiating position in 2016 as we would have saved four years of EU nonsense. On the bright side it weeded out all those traitorous remoaners from Parliament so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Now it's time to go the offensive and start screwing the Irish and teach them a damn good lesson not to mess with us on backstops. When the Irish farmers have no ready market in the UK perhaps they will turn their attention to those prats in Dublin.

Let's get the Royal Navy immediately deployed to the Channel. French fishing boats and small rubber dinghies being legitimate targets,

🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

+💥=👍

🌊-🇪🇺=🐟+💷

Johnson - The most disastrous and very possibly the last PM the UK has ever had

Boris Johnson has not put a foot wrong with these Brexit talks so far. he's playing it very well 👍

Edited by SwindonCanary

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

We feel your pain Hermy 😉

You said four years ago: 'You can't put a price on sovereignty.' As the government admitted back then, the UK never lost sovereignty the whole time it was in the EU, so restoring something never lost was an impossibility.

But you can certainly put a price on chasing that mirage and now the people in the UK the least able to cope with a self-inflicted economic downturn are going to find out the hard way just how painful that price is.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

Johnson - The most disastrous and very possibly the last PM the UK has ever had

Boris Johnson has not put a foot wrong with these Brexit talks so far. he's playing it very well 👍

Actually Swindon unless he gets his oven ready deal it will forever be a political failure. The economic failure is already baked in.

25 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Aye, if we exit the EU without a FTA in place the UK’s new tariff regime will apply to all EU27 imports -- Instantly the Irish beef and dairy industry will be hit, as will many other industries in all other EU countries.

According to EU Commission figures, last year the EU sold €318.7 billion of products to the UK each year – that’s €124.9 billion more than the UK sold to the EU27 --- Some of these imported products from the EU will now attract zero tariffs, whilst some will now be subject to UK tariffs for the first time in nearly 50 years.

Many Brexiteers like myself have already started buying British in place of EU27 goods, on principle and as a result of the EU’s bullying attitude to the UK since 2016 when the majority of the electorate voted to leave.

When the UK general population is faced with the choice of similar products, one from the EU where a UK tariff has been applied, or a British product with no tariff affecting its price, I suspect that a process known as ‘substitution’ will kick in.

In many cases this will result in increased demand for British products – and for non-EU products which no longer have high EU tariffs applied – and the result will be a fall in sales for EU27 producers.

Onwards and upwards, RtB, Ricardo, Moy and fellow Brexiteers 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You said four years ago: 'You can't put a price on sovereignty.' As the government admitted back then, the UK never lost sovereignty the whole time it was in the EU, so restoring something never lost was an impossibility.

But you can certainly put a price on chasing that mirage and now the people in the UK the least able to cope with a self-inflicted economic downturn are going to find out the hard way just how painful that price is.

At least it's been interesting watching the last few months of communal remainer masturbation on this thread. All gone a bit limp now😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

At least it's been interesting watching the last few months of communal remainer masturbation on this thread. All gone a bit limp now😀

Thrashing with a limp wrist at a wilted green 😜

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Actually Swindon unless he gets his oven ready deal it will forever be a political failure. The economic failure is already baked in.

it will not be 'oven ready' due to the way  the EU behaved ,but I'm sure he will get a deal.

43 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think you will find we are still right.

Let's look what you have won.

Unusable blue passport.

Giant car park in Kent.

Two new borders.

Fish we can't sell.

No deal plus Covid economic damage.

Loss of future generation's rights.

No trade deals.

I'm really not sure why you brexitty people are so happy??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Aye, if we exit the EU without a FTA in place the UK’s new tariff regime will apply to all EU27 imports -- Instantly the Irish beef and dairy industry will be hit, as will many other industries in all other EU countries.

According to EU Commission figures, last year the EU sold €318.7 billion of products to the UK each year – that’s €124.9 billion more than the UK sold to the EU27 --- Some of these imported products from the EU will now attract zero tariffs, whilst some will now be subject to UK tariffs for the first time in nearly 50 years.

Many Brexiteers like myself have already started buying British in place of EU27 goods, on principle and as a result of the EU’s bullying attitude to the UK since 2016 when the majority of the electorate voted to leave.

When the UK general population is faced with the choice of similar products, one from the EU where a UK tariff has been applied, or a British product with no tariff affecting its price, I suspect that a process known as ‘substitution’ will kick in.

In many cases this will result in increased demand for British products – and for non-EU products which no longer have high EU tariffs applied – and the result will be a fall in sales for EU27 producers.

Onwards and upwards, RtB, Ricardo, Moy and fellow Brexiteers 👍

And what do you think the EU countries will do? Your wonderful theory of "substitution" cuts both ways you numbskull.They will stop buying from the UK, and buy more from each other instead. The key difference will be that their potential market population is more than 4 times that of the UK. That's why your flag waving jingoistic tosh is not being shared by British Industry:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/uk-tells-eu-there-is-no-basis-for-negotiations-after-boris-johnson-halts-brexit-trade-talks/ar-BB1a6HEK?ocid=msedgntp

"CBI director-general Dame Carolyn Fairbairn said they could not afford to give up on negotiations and called on both sides to exercise “tenacity, common sense and compromise”. Neither side can afford to fall at the final fence. A deal is the only outcome that protects Covid-hit livelihoods at a time when every job in every country counts,” she said."

"Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders chief executive Mike Hawes warned it would have a “devastating impact” on the automotive sector, hitting jobs “in every region of Britain”.

Your lack of understanding of market economics is astounding. 

And by-the-way your claim that, "the majority of the electorate voted to leave" is simply false. The majority of the electorate (over 60%) did NOT vote for Brexit. I know it's probably foolish of me to expect you to deal in facts but you could try a little harder to get these very simple ones right.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

And what do you think the EU countries will do? Your wonderful theory of "substitution" cuts both ways you numbskull.They will stop buying from the UK, and buy more from each other instead. The key difference will be that their potential market population is more than 4 times that of the UK. That's why your flag waving jingoistic tosh is not being shared by British Industry:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/uk-tells-eu-there-is-no-basis-for-negotiations-after-boris-johnson-halts-brexit-trade-talks/ar-BB1a6HEK?ocid=msedgntp

"CBI director-general Dame Carolyn Fairbairn said they could not afford to give up on negotiations and called on both sides to exercise “tenacity, common sense and compromise”. Neither side can afford to fall at the final fence. A deal is the only outcome that protects Covid-hit livelihoods at a time when every job in every country counts,” she said."

"Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders chief executive Mike Hawes warned it would have a “devastating impact” on the automotive sector, hitting jobs “in every region of Britain”.

Your lack of understanding of market economics is astounding. 

And by-the-way your claim that, "the majority of the electorate voted to leave" is simply false. The majority of the electorate (over 60%) did NOT vote for Brexit. I know it's probably foolish of me to expect you to deal in facts but you could try a little harder to get these very simple ones right.

Still re-running the same limp arguments from four years ago. Didn't work then. Don't work now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Still re-running the same limp arguments from four years ago. Didn't work then. Don't work now.

Stunning analysis as usual. Perhaps you might try actually answering the concerns of business leaders instead of the usual head-in-the sand Brexs*it response:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/uk-economy-not-ready-for-no-deal-brexit-say-business-leaders/ar-BB1a6f0w?ocid=msedgdhp

Edited by horsefly
added link

5 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I love it that all you remainers are looking for things wrong with Boris, I'm happy with him 😉

No one needs to look for things wrong with BoJo. His shortfalls are glaringly obvious. 

I guess you'd be happy with any bumbling etonian

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I love it that all you remainers are looking for things wrong with Boris, I'm happy with him 😉

That's probably the best argument against Boris that anyone could come up with.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I love how he failed to meet another one of his deadlines and you morons still cheer. 

• Like 1