Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Marcus Evans speaks

The topic is entitled "Marcus Evans speaks."

Question. Do you feel that yesterday''s con job was a success and will put a few hundred onto your gates for next season. Apparently some of your home gates dipped below 10, 000 last season once the stay away season ticket holders were taken into account.

Question. Were you not, as a club, anxious to acquire Cat 1 yourselves a few years back; but failed to meet the standards required? We are already reaping the benefits this status affords us at the expense of failed applicants like ITFC.

Are Klose, Murphy, Pinto or Oliveira worthless then? We are building up a useful stock of successful German imports also, most notably Trybul and Zimmermann. Are they worthless? What about Lewis, Godfrey and Thompson our latest up and coming stars?

You either very badly informed or your blue tinteds are clouding your vision?

(I do agree that Waghorn is your main asset, so he will likely be sold on soon.)

The biggest difference is that your equity lies almost solely with the maverick Evans whilst ours lies in our stadium, our training ground and improving Cat.1 facilities. The Evans''s come and go. Bricks and mortar are permanent.

I could go on as ITFC is the gift that keeps on giving, but I''ll save some more for when you next have the damn cheek to infiltrate our forum with your loser''s nonsense.

P.S. Has that tree growing out from the top of one of your dilapidated stands been uprooted yet?

P.P.S. What does the debt currently stand at?

The thread is about your majority shareholder and his interviewNot about the ignorance of thieving farm handsNow do run along, the pigs must need feeding by now

if ipswich had lewis and maddison they might be able to buy some of their assets back king

Lewis if he kicks on from this season will be worth alot of money and like others have said Murphy, Pinto, Klose, Oliveira, Hanley

This is the club that cannot afford to even maintain a decent football pitch, has shrubs growing out of it''s roof and weeds out of the gutters.Even it''s own fans regularly comment upon the general lack of upkeep and tidiness - a grubby little club in all senses.Can any City fan remember the last time CR was only a third full for a league game.And the farm hand talks about the money raised to fund development of our training facilities. What''s to stop them doing that ............ oh yes, Evans has made off with their training ground.Lower attendances, lower income and lower ST sales. A ground and pitch deteriorating by the month and a squad that would fetch beggar all if sold.Jog along bin boy, you sound like a tramp shouting nonsense through the gates of Buckingham Palace.

The thing is he invites ridicule.

Whilst always standing on very, very thin ice with regards his own impoverished club he is still stupid enough to come onto our forum regularly with his thin, and usually inaccurate and ill-informed, utterances about our club. For every put down of NCFC he comes up with there is an easy response, with knobs on, with regards to his lot.

I, and many others, regularly spy onto TWTD. None of us would ever be infantile enough to actually post on there criticising them though.

Actually, we have no need to either. Treating them to a few home truths on this forum suffices as most of them are regular visitors on here in any case.

Don''t all binners invite ridicule. Even mad Mick was mocking their fixation with their ''glorious history'' within days of his being appointed.And the first time their majority shareholder shows his face in over a decade not one of the gormless challenges to vacuous tosh he spouted. An admission that the parent company of ITFC is using the club for tax mitigation should have had the binners jumping like mad. Not because that in itself is wrog but that the club had been denying it for years.No questioning of where all the money raised to pay for a Cat 1 acadamy went. No questions about why transfer fees are moved into the general ME fund of other companies. Why the pitch has been allowed to deteriorate.Nothing bar the usual cap tugging and ''ever so grateful'' fawning from the slow witted farmhands - yet they wonder why they are in such a parlous state as a club.

[quote user="King Keano"][quote user="norfolkngood"]you would thing a business man like him would want the team to do well make a real success of it

he does not need the 5% or what ever they pay him why wreck a football club if you own it ?

really have to thank our lucky stars we do not have anyone like that here dragging to club down to its last bones

also proves you need someone with money but who is willing to spend it he is far richer than Delia but just uses it to make himself money[/quote]

I’m not sure it’s entirely true. He doesn’t see the point spending another 15-20m as it doesn’t guarantee promotion. There’s plenty of other clubs doing just that and they’re still in the same division.

In reality, you’re owners are doing the exact same model. This summer you’ll sell off your best player(s) again to cover the shortfall in your budget.

They’ll be replaced by youth players or cheap Germans which is effectively how we’re operating without the need to sell anyone as our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.[/quote]You are still assuming we will, like you, have a shortfall every season. We might, but the likelihood is our income, without parachute payments, could well be close to double yours.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Drinking game. Down a shot every time Big Tears says “farmhands”. You’re embarrassing[/quote]Perhaps we could include the odd snorter every time you post up some whine about me, Hand solo

ps if my pulling the pee out of binners upsets you then perhaps it would be a better idea to just avoid my posts.. others doit saves them from getting so upset that they have to keep posting up their displeasure

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Evans showing his face after several years.

Not seen Delia talk to the fans for years - unless to a mate at the Times.[/quote]
Really, that''s odd because she''s often seen at home  chatting to fans outside the ground,  chatting  to fans in pubs at away games, chatting to fans at social events , she chatted to fans after the AGM in Nov for at least an hour, she''ll be at the end of season dinner on Sunday night chatting to fans, she''ll no doubt chat & hug  us volunteers on Sat as we''re waiting to go on the pitch to present our cheque to CSF, just like she did last year.
In fact I cant think of a club where the owner is so accessible as Delia is

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="King Keano"]our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.[/quote]You are still assuming we will, like you, have a shortfall every season. We might, but the likelihood is our income, without parachute payments, could well be close to double yours.[/quote]I''ve already explained that to him on the "Mind the gap" thread Purps........[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="King Keano"]you’ll

probably need another 5-6m every summer just to stay afloat/have any

sort of competitive budget. Where’s that coming from?
A firesale

every summer perhaps?[/quote]Our turnover without parachute payments

will be c. £30m compared with your £16m. Plus there''s no rent to pay for

the ground or training ground. With Evans money your total income is

around £20m which means we have an extra £10m advantage over

you.[/quote]He didn''t reply then so I don''t suppose he''ll come back this time either. It seems he prefers TWTD myths rather than PinkUn facts. [:)]

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Evans showing his face after several years.

Not seen Delia talk to the fans for years - unless to a mate at the Times.[/quote]
Really, that''s odd because she''s often seen at home  chatting to fans outside the ground,  chatting  to fans in pubs at away games, chatting to fans at social events , she chatted to fans after the AGM in Nov for at least an hour, she''ll be at the end of season dinner on Sunday night chatting to fans, she''ll no doubt chat & hug  us volunteers on Sat as we''re waiting to go on the pitch to present our cheque to CSF, just like she did last year.
[/quote]Chatting to fans at games and social events is hardly the same as giving an official interview to the local media about the way forward as the majority shareholder to our 25,000 or more fan base. Accessible chit chat at best is what we get.

[quote user="Bigears"][quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Drinking game. Down a shot every time Big Tears says “farmhands”. You’re embarrassing[/quote]Perhaps we could include the odd snorter every time you post up some whine about me, Hand solo

ps if my pulling the pee out of binners upsets you then perhaps it would be a better idea to just avoid my posts.. others doit saves them from getting so upset that they have to keep posting up their displeasure[/quote]Looks like i have been given the day off. [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Diane"][quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Evans showing his face after several years.

[/quote]Chatting to fans at games and social events is hardly the same as giving an official interview to the local media about the way forward as the majority shareholder to our 25,000 or more fan base. Accessible chit chat at best is what we get.[/quote]Do you really need an interview with the local media to know what the way forward is?

That’s the point I was getting at, Til. Seeing Delia in the pub before isn’t her speaking to the fans as this is not an option for all supporters.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]That’s the point I was getting at, Til. Seeing Delia in the pub before isn’t her speaking to the fans as this is not an option for all supporters.[/quote]The last time she tried speaking to all the fans (admittedly some were in the bars or toilets) it didn''t go down very well. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="King Keano"]our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.[/quote]You are still assuming we will, like you, have a shortfall every season. We might, but the likelihood is our income, without parachute payments, could well be close to double yours.[/quote]I''ve already explained that to him on the "Mind the gap" thread Purps........[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="King Keano"]you’ll

probably need another 5-6m every summer just to stay afloat/have any

sort of competitive budget. Where’s that coming from?
A firesale

every summer perhaps?[/quote]Our turnover without parachute payments

will be c. £30m compared with your £16m. Plus there''s no rent to pay for

the ground or training ground. With Evans money your total income is

around £20m which means we have an extra £10m advantage over

you.[/quote]He didn''t reply then so I don''t suppose he''ll come back this time either. It seems he prefers TWTD myths rather than PinkUn facts. [:)][/quote]Ah, thanks lapps. Actually, this is a well-known psychological syndrome - known as Ipswichitis in the trade - that King Keano has, whereby if your life has been utterly miserable for as long as you can remember then you semi-sub-consciously rationalise your suffering away by assuming everyone else is equally badly placed...

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]That’s the point I was getting at, Til. Seeing Delia in the pub before isn’t her speaking to the fans as this is not an option for all supporters.[/quote]
You''d equally be complaining if she done an interview in front of a camera with a club employee asking pre-defined questions and basically reading of a script.
The fact she''s happy to talk to fans in and around the ground, at away games, at social events is far more than Evans has ever done and the two are completely incomparable - but you''ll find a reason to complain anyway.

I''m not sure that I recall many football club owners doing a staged interview like that ever. It doesn''t seem to be their habitual realm.

Managers and CEO''s do all the public talking usually.

Have the Glazers said much in public? Abramovich? Any of the Sheiks or Thais from King Powe?

The Newcastle owner (Mike?) says a lot publicly I suppose, but only really when he is up against it.

Perhaps there are a few more instances that can be recalled

The rift between the club and the supporters had widened so much at Portman Road that it was necessary for Evans to finally reveal himself.

He seems to have largely quelled the growing storm.

That Delia Smith is so approachable is one of her plus points.

Is it just me or is he just copying what we have done?

More emphasis on bringing through players from the academy because rather than spending money on seasoned pros

Change of style to build from the back and pass more

Manager to concentrate on football playing side leaving other parts to specific departments

Highlighting Huddersfield as an example

Be interesting to see where we both are this time next year

I may have totally failed to understand the financial relationship between Evans and Ipswich, but does it go something like this?

He purchased the debts-£32 million owed to Evans-he injected another £12 million under a new share issue-owed to Evans or not? Since then he has been making up the annual losses-again all owed to Evans. He had been getting 5% interest on the debt back from the club. He has been offsetting the annual losses against profits of other businesses in his empire.

If this is correct, then it seems to me that IF he ever sells up, he is unlikely to want the debt to him to be paid by the purchaser-because most of that debt-except for the amount he purchased in 2007 and possibly the £12 million from the shares in 2007-will immediately become profit in that tax year. If he gets the debt repaid he will owe a whole lot of tax on that profit.

Have I got that right?

"He purchased the debts-£32 million owed to Evans"....The £32m was owed to Norwich Union who settled for 20% (£6.4m) however the whole £32m debt was transferred to him and is included in the current £90m. Interest was charged on it for the first 4 or 5 years but stopped after a Football League rule change.Of the £12m he bought the club for, £3.9m was for new ordinary shares giving him an 87.5% shareholding whilst the other £8.1m was for preference shares which still earn him 7% (£567,000 pa). "IF he ever sells up, he is unlikely to want the debt to him to be paid by the purchaser"...There is no way he''ll ever sell the debt. Let''s say he agrees to sell the club for say £40m, he can''t then say, BTW there''s another £90m you owe me."Have I got that right?"Hopefully you have now. [:D]https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/12034/trust-on-town-takeover

A link that goes further in depth can be found herehttps://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/11977/sheepshanks-a-massively-important-dayHowever what does arise is the question of why Evans only purchased 87.5 % of the club. Could the answer be found in the Companies Act 2006 which has two relevant sections, the latter of the two, section 983 (the "sell out" provision) allows minority shareholders to insist their stakes are bought out - the other section 976 amounts to the opposite.Given that Evans has finally admitted that the club is being used as a way of mitigating tax liabilities elsewhere, it would not be beyond possibility that the full story has not been told here.Other than another reason to laugh at the paupers this does have implications for our club in that currently (for their faults) we have shareholders who have the club''s interests at heart, and as Diane said, are very accessible as opposed to some Dr No figure appearing on a screen, once in over a decade.The currents words are ''be careful what you wish for'' - I would add perhaps be a little more thankfully for what we do have.

[quote user="Bigears"]A link that goes further in depth can be found herehttps://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/11977/sheepshanks-a-massively-important-dayHowever what does arise is the question of why Evans only purchased 87.5 % of the club. Could the answer be found in the Companies Act 2006 which has two relevant sections, the latter of the two, section 983 (the "sell out" provision) allows minority shareholders to insist their stakes are bought out - the other section 976 amounts to the opposite.Given that Evans has finally admitted that the club is being used as a way of mitigating tax liabilities elsewhere, it would not be beyond possibility that the full story has not been told here.Other than another reason to laugh at the paupers this does have implications for our club in that currently (for their faults) we have shareholders who have the club''s interests at heart, and as Diane said, are very accessible as opposed to some Dr No figure appearing on a screen, once in over a decade.The currents words are ''be careful what you wish for'' - I would add perhaps be a little more thankfully for what we do have.[/quote]He may be doing that, but he doesn''t say so in that interview. Nor does he say it was part of the rationale for buying the football club.

"Nor does he say it was part of the rationale for buying the football club."I don''t think I said he did - have another read.And it was the previous denials by others at the club that is the concern, not the practice

[quote user="Bigears"]"Nor does he say it was part of the rationale for buying the football club."I don''t think I said he did - have another read.And it was the previous denials by others at the club that is the concern, not the practice[/quote]I didn''t say you did. But over several years you have claimed Evans has been using Ipswich Town as some kind of way of avoiding tax, with the clear implication that he saw the purchase, either beforehand or thereafter, as a way of achieving that aim. In the interview Evans says that was never the plan, and downplays the financial advantages of that kind of practice anyway, so I was using this opportunity to deal preemptively with that aspect of your previous posts.The main point, of course, is that in that interview Evans does not admit  to using Ipswich Town in that way, despite your claim - twice on this thread - that he did make just such an admission.Moving on, or rather back, I didn''t get the drift of this paragraph, which seems to raise a significant implication without explaining it, unless I am being even more dense than usual:However what does arise is the question of why Evans only purchased 87.5

% of the club. Could the answer be found in the Companies Act 2006

which has two relevant sections, the latter of the two, section 983 (the

"sell out" provision) allows minority shareholders to insist their stakes are bought out - the other section 976 amounts to the opposite.

Any explanation on my part would be nothing more than a chance for you to spin my words and add stuff I never said.As to Evans his words of all companies would infer that it included his - and he could have simply denied that action was happening rather distract by those words.By all means continue to misrepresent what I have said if it provides some kind of pleasureIt''s a free world