Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Transfer window - 3 days left

I expected Nelson to be out of the door within the first week of the window opening by mutual consent of the player and manager alike and also to the delight of many fans, including myself.

The only thing in question was the fee given his turbulent and generally unproductive last season (and you have to throw in his reputation as well I suppose.)

I still suspect that there is something in the pipeline.

If we are left with him in the squad for the time being I suppose it could go either way. We could have a very useful addition to the squad or another Naismith situation whereby a highly paid player ends up contributing little of much use.

I suspect the latter but such is his unpredictability that it''s anybody''s guess.

We still have Zimmermann who is a straight replacement. It is possible Farke was aware of the interest in Klose which is why he played Godfrey in the centre of defence in pre season; so I see no reason to panic.

There would never be a mutual termination of Nelson’s contract. It’s probably the biggest he’ll ever have in his career so would be madness for either party.

I expect he’ll end up on loan somewhere. Whether abroad or in England is hard to know. Potentially back to Portugal - although that would mean Norwich having to cover a large chunk of his wages.

It isn’t really transfer deadline day for Norwich (unless they want to sell to the Premier League which I can’t see happening). Players can be brought in on loan with a permanent deal agreed for the window reopening in January.

Oh well! We still have good old Russ (cue 10 pages of repetitive debate.)

I would hope that it is a bit late in the day for a Klose rumour to emerge ... although didn''t Webber say something about "nasty surprises," or words to that effect, when discussing the ending of the Summer business?

It’s not ‘late in the day’. If Klose is going to Europe they have until the end of August to sort it. Norwich could then loan in a replacement until then also.

August 31st is still the ‘real’ transfer deadline day. Today is just going to be interesting watching Premier League clubs go crazy.

With Zimmermann and Godfrey we have immediate cover should Klose leave today, with 3 weeks to source a loan (whether witha view to buy or just a loan) as a replacement.

I cant see us turning down a fee and removing wages should an offer arrive, although I suspect Hannover will sign an other.

3 weeks before the window closes doesn’t seem particularly late for a rumour to emerge.

I doubt Klose will be leaving, but his contract situation is well known and I’m sure clubs in Germany will look at him as an option if they need a centerback.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i heard we are waiting for Nelson to go and a lower league striker is coming in just waiting for Nelson first to go[/quote]

Any ideas on who the lower league striker may be?

I wouldn''t be surprised if a Prem team or two did enquire about Oliveira. A forward that has a decent scoring record, knows the UK so won''t need time to settle, and is publicly keen to move ticks a lot of boxes.

A lot of the lower options have been bought, so while that may have been the hope at the start of the summer, to me that seems unlikely now.

As for prem interest I am sure that would have revealed itself with just 7 hoursto go, although if anyone showed some interest now we would at least get top price!

Mashiters tweets this morning are that the senior squad is bloated and successful day would be moving some on.

While some are clear and obvious, he does specifically call out Vrancic as one we would listen to offers for..

With all the pre-season planning and the fact that Franke, Raggett and Martin are either out on loan or free to go, I''d be surprised if Klose does go. I see him as a major part of Farke''s plans, both on and off the pitch.

He would be one of the last on big wages off the bill, but Webber and Stone have told us the worst is over with the incoming Murphy and Maddison money.

Also, getting someone in and embedded into the squad in such a crucial position with the season already underway, could be difficult.

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]Mashiters tweets this morning are that the senior squad is bloated and successful day would be moving some on.

While some are clear and obvious, he does specifically call out Vrancic as one we would listen to offers for..[/quote]
Can''t see Jarvis going anywhere unfortunately. McGovern is interesting as that means we''re keeping Remi or bringing someone in to facilitate Matthews going on loan. Olive and Martin I think we all expect to go out on loan at this juncture. Be delighted to see them get permanent deals elsewhere (Russ because he''s a good bloke and if he wants to play football then let him, and Olive because I can''t wait to see the back of the moody tw*t)...
Surprised to hear Vrancic is on the bubble, he looked quite decent towards the end of last season, although with Leitner and McLean now bolstering the midfield, and Godfrey, Thompson, Tettey and Trybull also in the mix for those CM spots, it does look a little bit crowded in there and I can''t see any of the others going anywhere. I''d have thought Vrancic could play in the #10 role with his passing ability and vision but again, Leitner, Pukki McLean could all play there, or we could play Srbeny and Rhodes together in some formations so also looks crowded.
Shame to see Mario go though, he really impressed me after a shaky start.

I should add, I don''t think Vrancic will go given his injury.
Be surprised if Klose left too. We''re about right in defence at the moment with Zimmerman and Godfrey as back up. Losing Timm would mean Godfrey was the only back up - we''d have to get another in and I do suspect we''ll see big Timm here for a few more years as he takes the Tettey route and takes a wage cut to stay. He seems to really love the area and Norfolk life.

given the number of midfield options, and perhaps growing confidence of those coming through (Cantwell, Buendia), i think the issue is more that this is probably the last time we can get a decent price for him.

He is 29 with 2 years left on his contract so cashing in now would be an astute thing to do, especially if we can re-invest that in some more emerging maddison-esque type talent such as the celtic youngster.

Mind you we have already lowered the wage bill enormously, taken in c£40m in current and future fees, spent, comparatively peanuts, and kept the fans relatively happy - that is one hell of a feat.

meant to add that I dont think we will be in a naismith/oliveira/martin type rush to move Mario on, and suspect we will be happy with him as an option behind leitner and mclean if we dont move him on. But it isnt insignificant he has been specifically highlighted.

I agree that Klose is unlikely; wages will be a barrier to Hannover and they have their eyes on a couple of more likely alternatives too.

Both plausible moves although on the unlikely side.

Mario will be coming back to fitness at the end of August. If he is too leave it will almost certainly be back to Germany so wouldn’t be hugely surprised if he did leave this month.

It’s a shame as he was one I was really excited about having seen him in the Bundesliga, but he definitely has adaptation problems. While I think he is good enough for the Championship he is behind both McLean and Leitner.

I though Stipermann might also be moved on but his versatility probably means he’ll be kept on.

"Stiepermann & Vrancic surplus to requirements along with the usual suspects..."

It might seem like it at this moment in time, when we all start envisaging our preferred starters, but you wait until we are a dozen games into a forty six (+ cups) game season.

Already Stiepermann is being muted as Saturday''s full back option with Lewis probably unready and Husband considered vulnerable.

I wouldn''t want to lose any of the "first" team squad (except for Olly of course) now.

Besides, wasn''t this season the time when we would see the Gertman input come into their own having adapted to the Championship and England?

The hard part is over,perhaps there are some benefits to reap in this respect.

I''d be disappointed to lose Vrancic. Not sure there''s adaptation problems. He''s only had one season at this level and improved throughout.

hogesar wrote the following post at 09/08/2018 12:24 PM:

I''d be disappointed to lose Vrancic. Not sure there''s adaptation

problems. He''s only had one season at this level and improved

throughout.
He got a bit of stick on here for his early season performances but by the end of the season most people appreciated his contribution. I would be sorry to lose him.

re Vrancic - I suppose the question is, is he going to get much match time with so many other options? We have Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey and Thompson as the holding midfielders plus Leitner, MacLean and Vrancic as the passers/attacking central midfielders. I haven''t seen MacLean or Leitner play this pre-season or in the Brum game, but I suspect he''d have his work cut out to get ahead of them.

As others have said, he improved well last season.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]
Probably one of the players I was most looking forward to watching this season. Would be a right shame if Mario guz.
Reminds me of the Surman situation.
[/quote]
Was kind of thinking that myself.

Vrancic is 29, injured for a month and contracted until 2020.

I imagine Norwich are ‘open to offers’ as he isn’t first (or 2nd choice) in his position and probably on wages for someone expected to play most games - as he was signed to do.

I say he has had adaption issues as he certainly wasn’t as good for Norwich as he was when playing in a higher league in Germany. His gradual progression shows that he is adapting to the league.