Sign in to follow this  
Horse Renoir

Championship clubs survey

Found a survey here that''s been doing the rounds on other football forums, ranking Championship clubs from biggest to smallest. Bit of fun if you like stuff like this:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/championship-biggest-club

Mine was:

Aston Villa

Sunderland

Leeds United

Nottingham Forest

Derby County

Sheffield Wednesday

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Middlesbrough

Norwich City

Fulham

Sheffield United

Birmingham City

Ipswich Town

Bolton Wanderers

Hull City

Reading

Preston North End

Queens Park Rangers

Cardiff City

Millwall

Bristol City

Brentford

Barnsley

Burton Albion

Just my opinion, would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks and if someone could make that link clicky that would be cool!

Aston VillaLeeds UnitedSheffield WednesdaySunderlandWolverhampton WanderersNorwich CityBirmingham City

Nottingham Forest

Derby County

Bristol City

MiddlesbroughHull City

Reading

Sheffield UnitedBolton WanderersFulhamCardiff CityMillwallBarnsleyIpswich TownQueens Park Rangers Preston North EndBrentford

Burton Albion

Aston Villa

Leeds United

Sunderland

Norwich City

Derby County

Nottingham Forest

Sheffield Wednesday

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Birmingham City

Bristol City

Middlesbrough

Hull City

Reading

Sheffield United

Bolton Wanderers

Fulham

Cardiff City

Millwall

Barnsley

Ipswich Town

Queens Park Rangers

Preston North End

Brentford

Burton Albion

Can''t believe so many have Preston North End so low, they are two times Champions of the old first division and two times FA cup winners, I''d put then above the like of Ipswich Reading.

It''s all about how you decide what makes a club "big ". Pundits constantly talk about Leeds and Birmingham as big clubs even though neither of them have achieved anything for years. Birmingham get mentioned purely because the city is thought of as the country''s second city.

[quote user="Indy"]Can''t believe so many have Preston North End so low, they are two times Champions of the old first division and two times FA cup winners, I''d put then above the like of Ipswich Reading.[/quote][:D]WW2 hadn''t happened the last time they won anything of note.Even the binners have a better recent history.

I agree Herman, but that must have some bearing as it''s part of each club, I mean what have Reading ever achieved? Ritch owner built a new stadium and they had a couple seasons in the premiership! Preston for me are much higher in my ranking.

In my eyes the definition of the biggest club would be judged on size of home gates.

In my opinion the most successful club would be who''s won more trophy''s.

Therefore B''mth could become the most successful but not the biggest club.

Can''t be bothered to list them as I''m only interested in our club! OTBC

[quote user="Dorset Canary"]In my eyes the definition of the biggest club would be judged on size of home gates.

In my opinion the most successful club would be who''s won more trophy''s.

Therefore B''mth could become the most successful but not the biggest club.

Can''t be bothered to list them as I''m only interested in our club! OTBC[/quote]

We need a calculation based upon size of average attendance, size of ground, catchment area, total trophies won with a sliding scale built in depending upon when the trophies were won and average overall finishing place in the league and also how big a bunch of arrogant ar5eh0le5 the fans are.

Can anybody out there put that together for us?

It''ll be a toss-up between Leeds, Scum & Wolves to replace Burton at the bottom.

It''s like saying "who''s got the biggest c*ck?".   There are - Those that go around telling everyone they''ve got the biggest one, when in reality they are bragging to cover up their shortcomings.Those that have small ones but shout the loudest that they''ve got a big one.Those who are just "normal" size and who are realistic to know that there will always be those with bigger ones and always those with smaller ones.And finally, those that haven''t got one at all and wish they did [:S]

To mix Dorset and LDC''s posts, it''s not the size that matters, it''s what you do with it. (I''ve heard that a few times[:$])

lake district canary wrote the following post at 04/06/2017 11:19 AM:

It''s like saying "who''s got the biggest c*ck?".

There are -

Those that go around telling everyone they''ve got the biggest one, when in reality they are bragging to cover up their shortcomings.

Those that have small ones but shout the loudest that they''ve got a big one.

Those who are just "normal" size and who are realistic to know that there will always be those with bigger ones and always those with smaller ones.

And finally, those that haven''t got one at all and wish they did Tongue Tied [:S]

Absent friends come to mind😉

[quote user="Van wink"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 04/06/2017 11:19 AM:

It''s like saying "who''s got the biggest c*ck?".

There are -

Those that go around telling everyone they''ve got the biggest one, when in reality they are bragging to cover up their shortcomings.

Those that have small ones but shout the loudest that they''ve got a big one.

Those who are just "normal" size and who are realistic to know that there will always be those with bigger ones and always those with smaller ones.

And finally, those that haven''t got one at all and wish they did Tongue Tied [:S]

Absent friends come to mind😉[/quote]

Now who could you mean.......[:)] 

[quote user="lake district canary"]It''s like saying "who''s got the biggest c*ck?".   There are - Those that go around telling everyone they''ve got the biggest one, when in reality they are bragging to cover up their shortcomings.Those that have small ones but shout the loudest that they''ve got a big one.Those who are just "normal" size and who are realistic to know that there will always be those with bigger ones and always those with smaller ones.And finally, those that haven''t got one at all and wish they did [:S]

[/quote]Curious that this is the analogy that springs to your mind when others are discussing football clubs

[quote user="Van wink"]Says Le Grand Coq Fromage 👍[/quote]quelle surpriseyet another oddball interested in the male anatomy

All very corn-on-the-cob but fun nevertheless.

There are such things as big clubs and little clubs but it''s those in the middle that defy classification. Too many factors.

For me it''s all about current support, current status and recent history which therefore puts NCFC well above the mean ( even assuming we do not count any club below League 3.)

A survey a few years ago put our club in the top dozen of worldwide support (amongst English clubs) which surprised me. I wish I could resurrect it but it appears long gone.

Past history is only valid up to a point but disintegrates as the years pass. Hence Huddersfield with three consecutive League Division One titles in the Stone Age (a record) sit way below the mean.

It is tempting to use the founding of the Premier League as a watermark. Starting from that our level of "bigness" will be relatively high due mainly to the Walker successes and our combined years at the top table. As I said, well above the mean, although far from being amongst the elite.

At the same time poor old ITFC, despite their "bulging" trophy cabinet, surely slip below the mean despite the continued pretence of otherwise of most of the binmen.

There are surveys.

We appear to have slipped a bit to number 413 in the World according to this one:-

http://footballdatabase.com/ranking/world/9

(Below Bolton and Blackpool though.)

Refines to just English clubs. We are currently 26th.

http://footballdatabase.com/ranking/england/1

I couldn''t find ITFC in the World rankings but only got as far as Chicken Inn F.C. at 612 so unless I missed them they are below this Zimbabwean outfit.

Hate the whole ''big club'' debate. The likes of Wolves, Villa and Ipswich are obsessed with it as it''s all they''ve got.

"Hate the whole ''big club'' debate. The likes of Wolves, Villa and Ipswich are obsessed with it as it''s all they''ve got."

I would never in a million years bracket Ipswich with either Aston Villa or Wolves either regards bygone achievements or present situation whereby both now have serious investment and massive supporter potential.

But I get what you mean.

IMO.  I believe there are teams in the Premiership that aren''t big enough to be there, Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford, and Crystal Palace to name a few, with further dilution with Brighton joining them !