Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

London Bridge

It''s going to come in some form or another of these attacks keep coming RTB, whatever our liberal friends might think.

Upon the declaration of war on 3 September 1939, some 70,000 UK resident Germans and Austrians became classed as enemy aliens. By 28 September, the Aliens Department of the Home Office had set up internment tribunals throughout the country headed by government officials and local representatives, to examine every UK registered enemy alien over the age of 16 (since 1914 all aliens over the age of 16 had needed to register their details at local police offices, a requirement of the 1914 Aliens Registration Act (4 & 5 Geo. V c.12). The object was to divide the aliens into three categories: Category A, to be interned; Category B, to be exempt from internment but subject to the restrictions decreed by the Special Order; and Category C, to be exempt from both internment and restrictions.

Some 120 tribunals were established, assigned to different regions of the UK. Many were established within London where large numbers of Germans and Austrians resided. There were 11 set up in North West London alone.

By February 1940 nearly all the tribunals had completed their work assessing some 73,000 cases. The vast majority (some 66,000) of enemy aliens being classed as Category C. Most, but by no means all, of the 55,000 Jewish refugees who had come to the UK to escape Nazi persecution in the early and mid 1930s found themselves in Category C. Some 6,700 were classified as Category B and 569 as A. Those classified in Category A were interned in camps being set up across the UK, the largest settlement of which were on the Isle of Man though others were set up in and around Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Bury, Huyton, Sutton Coldfield, London, Kempton Park, Lingfield, Seaton and Paignton.

[quote user="Herman"]For training purposes they''re very good in helping to highlight the good and bad points of any operations using firearms. For civis they''re good for transparency and for reassurance.[/quote]You make it sound as though this was a pre planned operation where the Police had a briefing before events unfolded last night. My transparency amounted to mobile phone footage at the scene showing the sheer terror that was taking place with thousands of ''civis '' in grave danger of death or injury and the reassurance i got was that these inhuman individuals are no longer around to terrorise '' civis'' going about their business.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]What exactly do you see an enquiry achieving in extreme cases like this then ?

Because a member of the public was shot and wounded. they have to investigate. It isn''t a witch hunt. More of a debrief.[/quote]I think the unfortunate member of the public who was shot ( Thankfully not seriously ) will be thanking those officers for possibly saving his life as a result of their actions. Goodness me there is a time and a place for everything but these are extreme circumstances and not a routine firearms operation that went tragically wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attack-single-police-officer-took-terrorists-armed-baton-borough-a7772251.html

This is a real hero.

On the good side, along with the prompt police action it was noted that the SAS ''Blue Thunder'' helicopter landed on the bridge, in case it was a bigger event than it turned out. Always on standby   

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Herman"]For training purposes they''re very good in helping to highlight the good and bad points of any operations using firearms. For civis they''re good for transparency and for reassurance.[/quote]You make it sound as though this was a pre planned operation where the Police had a briefing before events unfolded last night. My transparency amounted to mobile phone footage at the scene showing the sheer terror that was taking place with thousands of ''civis '' in grave danger of death or injury and the reassurance i got was that these inhuman individuals are no longer around to terrorise '' civis'' going about their business.[/quote]Is everyone Daily Mail in this country? The transparency to make sure the police aren''t just shooting whoever they want and the reassurance that they are well trained and can be trusted.As KG said, this isn''t a witch hunt, they''re just making sure everything was done properly.

Of course Corbyn opposed shoot to kill didn''t he.

He really is on the road to Damascus at the moment.

That isn''t at all what I am saying Winky, so stop trying to twist everything.

Usual commies on here don''t ever disappoint

Bet you are all converting, it''s the progressive thing to do

Cowards, always will be

Round up all known terrorists in this country, any intelligence of British enemy combatants operating in Iraq or Syria lay down so many tomahawk cruise missiles that they are never able to identify the bodies. Pour huge amounts of cash into the security services.

Alternatively, thoughts and prayers + a geography teacher that thinks we should send a Facebook emoji to try and stop mass shootings AND supports the IRA AND is a filthy communist

''as though this was a pre planned operation''as opposed to a planned operation, I supposethough I''m not sure what the difference isand for the benefit of the record I will commend the police for their faultless action in this matter

I''m not sure what the point in Mays enough is enough speech was all about. One incident is enough.

The most beneficial thing I can think of is obviously imprisoning anyone who shows any support towards ISIS in this country, regardless if it''s on social media, an underground forum or similar. Unfortunately we don''t have the resources at the moment to do that. How does it currently work when, for example, one of the terrorists is identified? How much work goes into proving close family etc knew about it? Perhaps more has to be done on that side. I''m speculating of course and perhaps underestimating what already happens.

Maybe if someone commits a crime like this the whole family is deported and banned from the UK permanently irrespective of if they knew? Would this be a deterrent? Obviously not the legislation for it at the moment.

Whilst writing this, fair play to Ariana Grande. Lovely to see all those people in Manchester including victims and families having a great night .

Whilst writing this, fair play to Ariana Grande. Lovely to see all those people in Manchester including victims and families having a great night .

Will I am thinks he''s in London!!

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m not sure what the point in Mays enough is enough speech was all about. One incident is enough.

The most beneficial thing I can think of is obviously imprisoning anyone who shows any support towards ISIS in this country, regardless if it''s on social media, an underground forum or similar. Unfortunately we don''t have the resources at the moment to do that. How does it currently work when, for example, one of the terrorists is identified? How much work goes into proving close family etc knew about it? Perhaps more has to be done on that side. I''m speculating of course and perhaps underestimating what already happens.

Maybe if someone commits a crime like this the whole family is deported and banned from the UK permanently irrespective of if they knew? Would this be a deterrent?
Obviously not the legislation for it at the moment.

Whilst writing this, fair play to Ariana Grande. Lovely to see all those people in Manchester including victims and families having a great night .[/quote]I don''t think it would be to them lunatics. Most of them leave big clues to who they are, for their perverse bit of fame, but this leads the police straight to their families and friends.As to your last point. Fair play to them all. Not my cup of tea musically, but I applaud what they have done. [Y]

You''re probably right Herman. Although unfortunately family is probably the only angle we''ve got over someone happy to die when killing others.

Also not my taste in music either but great for the city and Ariana hasn''t only arranged this, just realised she''s also offered to pay for all the victims funerals and donated $1 million of her own money.

That is some going for a 23 year old!

Didn''t we have internment during the second world war? I think that went pretty well.

Trouble is RTB, if we go back into history enough times we also connect with our mistakes like concentration camps in the Boer War. If you can''t suppress the combatants, strike at their families.

It is such an emotive subject but unfortunately one that will be forgotten when the dust settles.

Just as Saudi Arabia gathers its sunni friends around it to keep their kingdom protected and deflects much of the blame for terror sponsorship onto Iran and Qatar, the most powerful nations in the world, ones with the capability of doing something collectively, are sending government officials to Riyadh to try and broker arms deals.

Internment in N Ireland in the 1970s is widely regarded as having been the best recruiting drive the IRA could have had - it was messy, swept up lots of the innocent and missed a number of people who should have been locked up. It may have worked ok in WWII but that was very different.

Dreadful business in London. Such a shame that it somewhat overshadowed the wonderful Manchester concert. My wife and I sat down and enjoyed some wonderful performances, Miley Cyrus was excellent.

@ TillyThere are calls now for all police to be armed.  As an ex serving police officer, admittedly not in quite such difficult times I would imagine, I''m interested in your view on this emotive subject?

All police in France are armed, I''m not sure why that arming did not stop the night club killing, the Nice killings.It is impossible for the police to be everywhereAnd it merely suggests that the problem can be solved by force, it cannot

Terrible things in London, and Manchester a couple of weeks ago.

Two cities that I personally have connections too.

Massive respect to our emergency services for their brave, and quick, selfless response.

My lad asked me the other day - why is it they can stop anyone illegally streaming a football match, because its on Sky etc, but they seem to have no power / authority / ability to stop these people talking / planning over the internet / mobile phones etc ?

What a crazy world and times we live in.

[quote user="Greavsy"]My lad asked me the other day - why is it they can stop anyone illegally streaming a football match, because its on Sky etc, but they seem to have no power / authority / ability to stop these people talking / planning over the internet / mobile phones etc ?

What a crazy world and times we live in.[/quote]
It''s easy to stop a website streaming copyright content, it''s public, open and visible to all tracing the IP and location of the servers is simple unless the host has gone to some extreme and expensive methods to hide their location but even then the authorities can simply throw up a block.
Breaking encryption and intercepting messages is a completely different subject and a whole world away from simply tracing an IP address. Not to mention that in regards to this attack many of the group lived in close proximity and probably planned the attack in person rather than over whatsapp.

Agreed, and maybe I over simplified the point. There is more than one site to stream a match from etc.

I''m sure they sat in a local cafe, and dreamt it up over a skinny latte.

You also seem well informed ginja! 😉😉😉

The ''dark web'' is a completely different ball game to the point that anyone using it will have the driver to their laptop''s microphone uninstalled along with black tape across the webcam.

Although in-roads are being made it''s far too easily accessible but also increasingly difficult to do much about.

In all seriousness, the idea that the Government can intercept encrypted traffic is technically incompetent.

Anyone who has even a cursory understanding of symmetric encryption will understand that a strong encryption key can be generated and regenerated in seconds, using free, open-source software than can be very easily integrated in messaging applications.

Banning strong encryption would not only be ludicrous, but totally counter-productive, as it would be trivial for terrorist/criminal groups to obtain an encrypted messaging app from anywhere online; since when has a "ban" ever stopped anyone? The only people it will actually impact on is companies using encryption for perfectly legitimate reasons, e.g. banks, websites etc.

Clearly the gov''t can''t be stupid enough to think this would actually have any impact on terrorist communications, so one would assume there is a more nefarious reason for May''s suggestions...

"so one would assume there is a more nefarious reason for May''s suggestions..."conspiracy theory .... baa baait''s all about giant lizards......... baa baa