Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Come on everyone, that's a good window....

[quote user="Morgan"]With you and LDC both sporting fetching hats, it''s time for me to get in on the act I feel - is that you in that photo Yorkshire wearing a snazzy grimace??[/quote]My hat isn''t sporting, it''s one of those aussie hats with corks hanging from it designed to keep mozzies and bloodsuckers away...... I might change it though, cos it''s not working on here! [:)]

I think it''s been an excellent window.   Something to be positive about. Results on the up, team improving in confidence, new players to freshen things up. Just need an away win or two to get us feeling things are really back on track.

An ''excellent'' window?

Not if you''re a football fan it''s not. It''s been a good enough window and sensibly for the club we''ve gained a lot of money but from a pure football fan''s point of view I can''t ever see how that window can be deemed ''excellent''. Particularly before seeing the new players play..

[quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

Not if you''re a football fan it''s not. It''s been a good enough window and sensibly for the club we''ve gained a lot of money but from a pure football fan''s point of view I can''t ever see how that window can be deemed ''excellent''. Particularly before seeing the new players play..[/quote]

Normally, the windows are frustrating, but as far as I can see we got rid of two players who we needed to in Brady and Canos (who was an obvious problem given that he hardly played).   We lost Olsson who I liked, but in return we have a strong looking left back who looks hungry for action and Wildschut who looks ready to stake a claim in the team.  Compared to recent windows, I would class this as excellent. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

Not if you''re a football fan it''s not. It''s been a good enough window and sensibly for the club we''ve gained a lot of money but from a pure football fan''s point of view I can''t ever see how that window can be deemed ''excellent''. Particularly before seeing the new players play..[/quote]

Normally, the windows are frustrating, but as far as I can see we got rid of two players who we needed to in Brady and Canos (who was an obvious problem given that he hardly played).   We lost Olsson who I liked, but in return we have a strong looking left back who looks hungry for action and Wildschut who looks ready to stake a claim in the team.  Compared to recent windows, I would class this as excellent. 

[/quote]
Like I say, it''s good on a club level where we had to recoup costs etc.
But purely from a fan''s point of view it''s hard to look past the fact we sold 3 players, 2 premiership class players and replaced them with a loanee and a Wigan winger. 
I''m pretty content with that because in the big picture the chances of promotion are quite slim and we needed to recoup some money. We''ve also got some pretty physical players in which I think may benefit us more than the technical side.
I just think referring to this window as ''excellent'' is a little farfetched. Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and probably a younger striker as 3rd choice.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

[/quote]
But purely from a fan''s point of view it''s hard to look past the fact we sold 3 players, 2 premiership class players and replaced them with a loanee and a Wigan winger. 
I''m pretty content with that because in the big picture the chances of promotion are quite slim and we needed to recoup some money. We''ve also got some pretty physical players in which I think may benefit us more than the technical side.
I just think referring to this window as ''excellent'' is a little farfetched.Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and younger striker as 3rd choice.
[/quote][Y]

"Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and younger striker as 3rd choice."

True, but then the squad would be bloated.

Excellent would have involved finding new homes for Lafferty and Turner and replacing them with the above.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and younger striker as 3rd choice."

Excellent would have involved finding new homes for Lafferty and Turner and replacing them with the above.[/quote]I assumed that was implied[Y]

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

[/quote]
I just think referring to this window as ''excellent'' is a little farfetched. Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and probably a younger striker as 3rd choice.
[/quote]

I must be easily pleased then.  Imo we have qualty centre backs in Klose and Martin, with Bassong and Bennett as good back ups - for me the problem lies mainly with lack of cover/discipline form midfielders. So I do agree about a central midfielder, but then we have Tettey, Mulumbu and Thompson who should be enough.  A young striker as a third choice?  Not going to get many chances with Jerome and Oliveira and would probably be sent out on loan - like Morris?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

[/quote]
[/quote]

I must be easily pleased then.  Imo we have qualty centre backs in Klose and Martin, with Bassong and Bennett as good back ups - for me the problem lies mainly with lack of cover/discipline form midfielders. So I do agree about a central midfielder, but then we have Tettey, Mulumbu and Thompson who should be enough.  A young striker as a third choice?  Not going to get many chances with Jerome and Oliveira and would probably be sent out on loan - like Morris?

[/quote]Would that be the Thompson who is out for the season, Tettey who is one card away from a 3 game ban, and Mulumbu who is desperately short of match fitness?

"I assumed that was implied."

Even though shifting those two is proving to be impossible because any likely suitors would not wish to match the wages they get from Carrow Road.

The club did what it had to do

got money in for shortfall

replace the players it sold

we were mins away from signing Dijks on a Permanent contact but didn''t give up still got him here on loan

got in a LM to cover for Brady

The rebuilding for club scouts etc starts now with so many big earners out of contract in the summer

once the club gets rid of the shackles of the big earners we can move for players that will improve the squad

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 02/02/2017 9:31 AM:

"Excellent would have been also signing a quality CB, defensive mid, and younger striker as 3rd choice."

Excellent would have involved finding new homes for Lafferty and Turner and replacing them with the above.

Yes I think that sums it up Broadstairs 👍

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"I assumed that was implied."

Even though shifting those two is proving to be impossible because any likely suitors would not wish to match the wages they get from Carrow Road.[/quote]
It was implied, although clearly not very well.
If we had got a third choice striker in then Lafferty could have gone out on loan - even if we only got 50% wages in a loan deal it''d be better than nothing in that scenario.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]An ''excellent'' window?

[/quote]
[/quote]

I must be easily pleased then.  Imo we have qualty centre backs in Klose and Martin, with Bassong and Bennett as good back ups - for me the problem lies mainly with lack of cover/discipline form midfielders. So I do agree about a central midfielder, but then we have Tettey, Mulumbu and Thompson who should be enough.  A young striker as a third choice?  Not going to get many chances with Jerome and Oliveira and would probably be sent out on loan - like Morris? [/quote]
I agree with you regarding midfielder cover etc. However Martin is at an age where we should be looking for long-term replacements. Admittedly January isn''t always the best time to do that.
But in midfield Tettey is close to a ban whilst also not having the legs for 2 games in quick succession. Mulumbu has been at ACON. Thompson is out for the season. We can get by, but it''s not ideal.
As for strikers, not like Morris - more like a replacement for Lafferty. Not saying he''d get massive game time but as you''ve seen with Oliveira making one stupid error of judgement - suddenly the third choice striker is second choice and coming off the bench in most games.
Don''t get me wrong, I didn''t expect everything I listed but thats what would be an ''excellent'' window.

I know the situation with Tettey and Thompson, which is why I put ''should'' in bold letters, but I just think back over several windows and feeling distinctly underwhelmed on the last day - usually because we have got players in early doors - but this time, especially with the last day being such a lottery, we got two in over the line that may have got away.  That is why I think it was "excellent".  But I agree on your other points.

Yeah excellent is pushing it. For a start we won''t know until a few games have been played- if Dijks can''t defend and Yanic is stuck on the bench it won''t have been excellent. I''m also concerned by the looming spectre of Whits at left back.

However making money is positive, I think Brady was relatively expendable and I like the idea of Dijks being on loan first.

Apart from B&O departing (which was on the cards anyway) I am curious to know if was there any actual real interest apart from the R Bennett rumour, in any of our current squad? If not....I wonder why not?

Your continued "I won''t post to morty" continues to be both hilarious, and stupendously tragic[:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Phworr...that smell again.  

[/quote]Don''t you mean "Would somebody who is talking to morty, please tell him he smells"?Brilliant.[:D]

Don''t bite LDC.

The idea is to keep poking you with a stick each time you respond to other posters then when you reply it''s back with "see you can''t stop posting about me". Smiley face

I''m not the only one who thinks the forum has been better since you stopped replying.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Don''t bite LDC.

The idea is to keep poking you with a stick each time you respond to other posters then when you reply it''s back with "see you can''t stop posting about me". Smiley face

I''m not the only one who thinks the forum has been better since you stopped replying.[/quote]Oh right, you have a list of names then?

I''m not the only one who thinks the forum has been better since you stopped replying.[/quote]And I shall add that if Lakey can''t bear to have the holes and lack of knowledge in his football opinion, pointed out, he is probably in the wrong place.

I''m not the only one who thinks the forum has been better since you stopped replying.[/quote]Yep, I know ignoring is the answer. Hard to ignore such a prolific troll though, who is only interested in himself.