Sign in to follow this  
Coq au vin

England did a 'Norwich'

Good ''ol England, right outta the Alex Neil stratagem folder. But I know what we''re doing, we''re just fooling everyone rope-a-dope style.

But seriously, GS for England manager? Thoughts??

Based purely on the four games he''s had, I''d be happy to see him get the gig full-time. There has been a humongous improvement in the team shape, movement and attitude since his first game. It was bitterly disappointing to concede those two late goals last night, but the first 88 minutes of that game England''s counter-attacking threat was impressive. He''s utilising our players in the right way and even made Raheem Sterling (notorious for being awful in an England shirt) look a real threat.

Don''t get me wrong, it''s only four games but we can only judge him on what he''s produced so far and I think it''s been highly encouraging.

Is it just me, but i really couldn''t care less about the national team.

Yes we will qualify comfortably for the World Cup. Then we will either get knocked out in the group or bumble our way through & get knocked out at the first sign of a half decent team.

I just cant get excited about watching them at all - even on Friday night I made it about 30 minutes in before watching a different game

All those different managers out there available, and we can''t look past Gareth Southgate???I''m not saying he''s done a bad job in the interim, but surely with everything that''s going on with England and the changes that may well be needed, we have to get somebody better in that him?I''d still love to see what Wenger could do if given the chance...

Rogue Baboon, I know what you mean, I feel we''d all probably have a little more investment if we had some Norwich players in there. But of course that''s unlikely to happen any time soon.

I do agree that Southgate has them playing more entertaining in these last few games but the sooner we accept, as a nation, we''re not some footballing giant in the int. scene the sooner our media will stop chastising whoever''s in charge.

It''s almost like it''s an albatross to wear the jersey given the amount of flack everyone gets if we do "badly". But then you could argue it comes down to other factors; lack of grassroots level investment, pooled club mentality etc. Though I can''t be bothered to go into the philosophy of it all as others on this forum are better at explaining it than me.

Thought he got the team playing well in patches last night and his connection with the younger England teams will probably swing it for him.

I don''t really care how we get on in Russia - wouldn''t be bothered if we didn''t go - so if some of these younger players are blooded and ready for Euro 20, he''s probably the right man to lead them.

And he''ll be relatively cheap to sack if he ballses it up.

I didn''t even bother watching it, it has been a long time since I have found any international football worthy of turning my telly on.

Anyone who uses a Pizza Hut advert to cash in on their penalty miss, which got our proud nation sent home from a tournament, should not be within 500 miles of the national manager''s job.

I certainly think there has been an improvement on playing style and squad picking despite him only taking charge of a few games. I''m sure he will give youth a chance too, as he''s shown with Lingaard. The squad certainly seem to be playing better football.

And is it a surprise that once again we looked better as a unit without Rooney in the side last night?

Shame we conceded those two late and sloppy goals, because otherwise I think Southgate could have been very close to getting the job. Still, he''s unbeaten so far!

Says he''s proven that he can handle the big occasion. Letting that lead slip, failing to score against Slovenia whilst only managing to beat some Maltese farmers and one of the worst Scotland teams  in their entire history.Bring back Big Dodgy Sam. At least he''ll give an amusing interview after we''re knocked out of  the group stages of the World Cup.

Southgate is smoother than a high quality pair of silk briefs. The guy is a touch of class and checks out as a top class operator. Due to the amount of down time between fixtures, the England job is for the brooding, thinkers of the game. GS suits the role perfectly