Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Justin Fashanu - Research

My girlfriend is researching for a assignment at Uni where she''s doing a case study on Just Fashanu, so she wanted to know if any of you guys have experienced any chanting about him? What was said and when? Particularly if it was 90''s but also any time after that. Or just anything you people know about Justin Fashanu and homophobic talk about him in the football crowds (NCFC and opposition fans).

All genuine replies will be appreciated.

I went to a game in 93 v Wimbledon (pretty sure we lost 0-1) and I remember John Fashanu receiving some nasty stick (one way of putting it) from the Barclay End because of his brother. Ironic really as John disowned Justin and of course Justin used to play for City! Am pretty sure Justin only came out in the early 90s (although rumours before) - by then he was playing in the lower leagues? (no sniggering). I think it was a common theme for John to receive quite a bit of abuse too.

This thread runs the risk of being very dodgey, can I suggest OP that people send you pm''s if their comments are less than PC?

Vanwink, my dissertation is now due next year so I''m still thinking of the ideas mentioned and other topics. is now due next year but we are aware that some of the content is controversial so my girlfriend would like to PM those who are willing to discuss this topic in further detail.

I went to every home game that Fash played for us before he moved to Forest.Nobody mentioned he was gay, never even heard any gossip of it on the terraces, never heard any derogative chanting over his sexuality or colour.

I cannot think of any anti gay chants aroud that time.. aimed at any player.Certainly there were fairly offensive chants about a players skin colour, but that was there for all to see.As Molly House above says nothing was known, and most in other spherses of public life chose not to make their sexuality known.I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

[quote user="Jimbo"]I cannot think of any anti gay chants aroud that time.. aimed at any player.Certainly there were fairly offensive chants about a players skin colour, but that was there for all to see.As Molly House above says nothing was known, and most in other spherses of public life chose not to make their sexuality known.I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.[/quote]Agree with this.Nothing was officially known about his sexuality while he was a City player but I believe he was known as the '' African Queen '' by the Forest players who were no doubt egged on by their manager Brian Clough who wasn''t renowed for his liberal views towards gay players.I saw Fashanu come on as sub when Peterborough played Newcastle in 1992 which was some time after he came out but there was no homophobic chanting.Not much to see here.

Fantastic clip Nutty. What a fantastic young man he was. That''s how he should be remembered . Brought a lump to my throat actually . As has been said previously the gay issue was never mentioned in those day that I recall.

Yes GPB. That''s how I remember him and those days. Ronnie Brooks too.
Did you notice Jimmy Rimmer? The moment that gave rise to the "You''re gonna get what Jimmy Rimmer got...." Were they really the good old days of terracing?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes GPB. That''s how I remember him and those days. Ronnie Brooks too.
Did you notice Jimmy Rimmer? The moment that gave rise to the "You''re gonna get what Jimmy Rimmer got...." Were they really the good old days of terracing?
[/quote]£17.86p in small change if I counted correctly.[;)]

ricardo wrote the following post at 17/11/2016 1:29 PM:

nutty nigel wrote:

Yes GPB. That''s how I remember him and those days. Ronnie Brooks too.

Yes I remember Rimmer . It was a bad season, we had lost Bond by then and we didn''t know how well Ken Brown was going to do at this stage. Fash was starting to lose it a bit wasn''t he? got sold at the end of the season. Only highlight was the Binners imploding and Villa winning the league. I didn''t go much in those days because I played and had a Saturday job. I even saw us lose to the Binners one night in the League Cup.

As for terracing I am the wrong bloke to ask. Never understood the hankering to return to getting crushed, restricted views and listening to the coins hitting the fences. Give me a seat, easy access to the loo and the fabulous view from the Upper Barclay any day!

Thanks Nutty.  I remember that polite young man well.  Used to come into the Gardeners sometimes after the game for a drink.  Always so polite and pleasant to my wife.  So sad that his career and aspirations went out of control.  I can''t help feeling that Clough was responsible for at least some of it, not forgetting his brother''s attitude either.  A lovely young man, so sad.

[quote user="OldRobert"]Thanks Nutty.  I remember that polite young man well.  Used to come into the Gardeners sometimes after the game for a drink.  Always so polite and pleasant to my wife.  So sad that his career and aspirations went out of control.  I can''t help feeling that Clough was responsible for at least some of it, not forgetting his brother''s attitude either.  A lovely young man, so sad.[/quote]

Justin Fashanu played for City in the late 70s thru to 81 and no one had any idea about his sexuality then. He rented a property from my late uncle and he too said what a polite young man he was. So sad I agree..........

Very sad, he was a very brave man, such a tragic ending, I sincerely hope times have changed. His brother treated him terribly, I believe it is john''s daughter Amal (sp) who made a fascinating documentary about Justin, interviewing John also, not sure if the above link is relating to this. It''s well worth a watch, if awfully sad.

Whatever preconceptions you may have about football agents, set them aside and, if you get the chance, look up an insightful interview with Eric "Monster Monster" Hall relating to Justin''s coming out.

For those who don''t know, Eric was agent for both Justin and John Fashanu at the time.

Eric tells how Justin called him from Canada by telephone in the early hours of the morning as Justin was in blind panic, knowing a newspaper was about to about to break a story about his sexuality.

Eric Hall was never one to miss a money making opportunity, but his advice to Justin was both shrewd and spot on.

Eric said, either you deny the stories, having to fight any number of legal battles in the process, or, you come out publicly in the newspapers first - probably making a few pounds in the process.

Justin decided to follow Eric''s recommended advice and go public.

What''s really sad is what happened, because John Fashanu, upon learning on what was about to happen, called Eric himself. He was fuming and demanded Eric stops the story immediately, or he''d change agents.

Eric told John in no uncertain terms, that the story was going to happen whether he liked it or not and the conversation ended abruptly.

Eric finished the tale by saying, "and the really sad thing is, I haven''t spoken a single word to John since to this day."