Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Number of our players who are Prem quality.

How many players do you think are able to hold their own in the Prem within our current squad?I have 7 to 8 which can make the grade.Also we have players who have played in Preimiership, does''t now mean they are prem quality.

Well thats hard to say. I think a few would class as players who could move to other lower end prem clubs. Probably more like 10.

Howson, Wes, Redders, Olson, Ruddy, Tettey, Mullumbu, Dorrans, Brady & Jerome.

The rest would struggle to get any move at this level, in my opinion.

While there may be 7 or 8 who could be regarded as OK in the Prem, most would be "adequate" rather than among the best in the Prem. I can think only of Redmond, and perhaps Ruddy at his best a year or two back. Your ManU/City, Arsenal and Chelsea have a full team of this standard, and most teams boast at least three or four.

This is not in criticism of our players who, in most cases, give their all. It is a reflection of how much money the big teams have amassed after many years of being in the division.

[quote user="Salopian"]While there may be 7 or 8 who could be regarded as OK in the Prem, most would be "adequate" rather than among the best in the Prem. I can think only of Redmond, and perhaps Ruddy at his best a year or two back. Your ManU/City, Arsenal and Chelsea have a full team of this standard, and most teams boast at least three or four.

This is not in criticism of our players who, in most cases, give their all. It is a reflection of how much money the big teams have amassed after many years of being in the division.[/quote]

Spot on Salopian.

quote "morty" How many Prem class players did we have the season we came up under Lambert?and how long did we last?Are we not looking to try and stay in this League.

[quote user="dibbler"]quote "morty" How many Prem class players did we have the season we came up under Lambert?and how long did we last?Are we not looking to try and stay in this League.[/quote]You missed my point, and probably nullified the one you were trying to make.I would say the squad we have right now is arguably better than the one we came up with when promoted under Lambert.With little or no external investment you slowly improve, year by year. Last season set us back, but we will only ever improve the quality very slowly.But money doesn''t guarantee success, does it? An an example I shall give you young Mister Wolfswinkel.

[quote user="Indy"]Howson, Wes, Redders, Olson, Ruddy, Tettey, Mullumbu, Dorrans, Brady & Jerome.

The rest would struggle to get any move at this level, in my opinion.[/quote]Out of those Dorrans and Jerome had to drop to the Championship to join us so would be no Premier interest for them unless it was from Watford or Bournemouth .

What does Premiership Quality actually mean? It’s a phrase many of us use, including me, but what does it actually mean.

The Premiership consists of 20 teams, some ‘outstanding’ teams with the cream of players, all of Premiership quality, let’s say they are the top six, then there are those who will be relegated to the Championship, so we could argue they are not of Premiership quality as they couldn’t survive in the Premiership. Then there are those who some might say will ‘over perform’ and those who will ‘under perform’, so does that make the ‘over performers’ better quality than those who ‘under performed’ albeit they may still have finished below the ‘under performers’?

We have a number of players who played in the Premiership for three seasons, could it be argued that for two seasons they were of Premiership quality and for the third season they were not?

We have some players who other Premiership teams have expressed an interest in, does this make the player of Premiership quality, even if he didn’t move?

Perhaps the only way to find out is 1) We stay up, then I guess they are all of Premiership quality or 2) we put them all up for sale and see who comes in for them (possibly the only way to judge individuals), if a Premiership club offers then they could be considered a Premiership quality player, if not then they are probably Championship quality.

If we were to argue that if a top 10 team bid for one of our players then they would be considered of Premiership quality, but then we are really doing them an injustice, because there are 17 teams who survive in the Premiership each year.

I can’t answer this question unequivocally, so over to you guys, I challenge any one to come up with a definition that all posters would agree with and if you do I shall doff my hat.

Any player we have who any other premiership team would pay for to sign.

I can''t think of benchmarking it any other way, up to the next person for their opinion.

Is Robbie Brady not considered Premiership quality?

In general I favour Morty''s comments; we came up with a lower grade squad under Lambert. Methodical evolution is surely the key, not throwing £ cash at it like lunatics...

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Is Robbie Brady not considered Premiership quality?

In general I favour Morty''s comments; we came up with a lower grade squad under Lambert. Methodical evolution is surely the key, not throwing £ cash at it like lunatics...[/quote]
Yup, agree with this, and the fact that we have to strive to be greater than the sum of our parts. Players also develop and blossom under some managers, I think AN is that type of manager.

Even if you believe that the plodders who sank us last time round in the PL have improved with age, do you not see how much better the sides who we were competing with have become over the last year or so?

None of them would play for a top 6 club. All of them have the quality to play for a bottom six club. I guess that changes in the positions between the two.

Has he?

Wasn''t first choice under Lambert (Naughton). And Whittaker played a lot in Hughton''s first season.

But tbf he did become the regular RB in our 3rd season in the Prem. The one when we got relegated.