Sign in to follow this  
Thetford Yellow

Pathetic transfer window

I think Thompson will start quite a few games next season-not neccessarily straight away but he''ll get a chance and will do well.

Time will tell.

We need a CB who will start alongside Bassong, other than that I reckon we don''t need anyone else to avoid relegation, it just depends on whether we are happy to avoid relegation or do we want to aim for somewhere around 12th, 13th or 14th?

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Probably better value than the £8m Bournemouth paid for MIngs[/quote]

A bag of cement?

I think this is because of:

A) The club don''t want to risk doing a RVW again so the transfer policy is sensible fees on fringe prem players to improve squad.

B) We really arn''t than attractive an option for players with a manager who''s basically their same age.

[quote user="Crispy"]I think this is because of:

A) The club don''t want to risk doing a RVW again so the transfer policy is sensible fees on fringe prem players to improve squad.

B) We really arn''t than attractive an option for players with a manager who''s basically their same age.[/quote]

You''re right about Neil. I take no pleasure in saying it, but we should have replaced him as soon as we were promoted. Harsh, I know, but he does not have the profile to attract the kind of top drawer players that are required at this level. He will be this season''s Sean Dyche - hardworking and honest but fundamentally short of the required contacts and experience to operate at this level.

I think it is largely down to the club not having a huge amount to spend and several positions to cover.

Watford and Bournemouth have more room to spend as they would have had considerably smaller wage budgets than Norwich. We know every player had to take a wage cut at relegation, I''m sure every player would have had a massive pay increase upon promotion.

I expect Norwich will be running a similar wage bill as the one they had when relegated.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think it is largely down to the club not having a huge amount to spend and several positions to cover.

Watford and Bournemouth have more room to spend as they would have had considerably smaller wage budgets than Norwich. We know every player had to take a wage cut at relegation, I''m sure every player would have had a massive pay increase upon promotion.

I expect Norwich will be running a similar wage bill as the one they had when relegated.[/quote]

Don''t have a huge amount to spend? You don''t need a huge amount - you just need to know where to look. Sorry to keep on about Watford, but they are picking up full internationals (for instance, Holebas - their new left back - kept Ashley Cole out the Roma team last season) for 3/4million. How we could do with someone of that quality

I''m afraid Watford have the look of last year''s QPR about them...and we all know how well that went...[;)]

Just out of curiosity Thetford, who would you sign?

Apples

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"][quote user="Crispy"]I think this is because of: A) The club don''t want to risk doing a RVW again so the transfer policy is sensible fees on fringe prem players to improve squad. B) We really arn''t than attractive an option for players with a manager who''s basically their same age.[/quote] You''re right about Neil. I take no pleasure in saying it, but we should have replaced him as soon as we were promoted. Harsh, I know, but he does not have the profile to attract the kind of top drawer players that are required at this level. He will be this season''s Sean Dyche - hardworking and honest but fundamentally short of the required contacts and experience to operate at this level.[/quote]

We know from last season that when others could call on Jose Mourinho, Alex spoke to his Mum and Alex won so no worries on that count.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"][quote user="Crispy"]I think this is because of: A) The club don''t want to risk doing a RVW again so the transfer policy is sensible fees on fringe prem players to improve squad. B) We really arn''t than attractive an option for players with a manager who''s basically their same age.[/quote] You''re right about Neil. I take no pleasure in saying it, but we should have replaced him as soon as we were promoted. Harsh, I know, but he does not have the profile to attract the kind of top drawer players that are required at this level. He will be this season''s Sean Dyche - hardworking and honest but fundamentally short of the required contacts and experience to operate at this level.[/quote]

Good Lord Thetford! Take a breath. When you get out of bed in the morning do you optimistically look forward to what the day may bring or do you commiserate about everything you need to do that day?

You say you''ve supported Norwich City for almost 50 years? If that''s the case, frankly, it sounds like youi''ve learned nothing in that time regarding how this club and, indeed, how the business of football works.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think it is largely down to the club not having a huge amount to spend and several positions to cover. Watford and Bournemouth have more room to spend as they would have had considerably smaller wage budgets than Norwich. We know every player had to take a wage cut at relegation, I''m sure every player would have had a massive pay increase upon promotion. I expect Norwich will be running a similar wage bill as the one they had when relegated.[/quote] Don''t have a huge amount to spend? You don''t need a huge amount - you just need to know where to look. Sorry to keep on about Watford, but they are picking up full internationals (for instance, Holebas - their new left back - kept Ashley Cole out the Roma team last season) for 3/4million. How we could do with someone of that quality[/quote]

Yes, but will he be able to deliver on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?

When posters constantly refer to "Premier League standard," what they really mean is top six standard (or mostly.)

We are light years away (if ever) from reaching these heights. The days of a Mike Walker inspired team of achievers are long gone. Sorry. but that''s our lot.

The top teams in our league now regularly pay out fees of £20m+ and look at the Sterling money as more a way of keeping our feet firmly on the ground rather than as unrealistic aspirations.

Our current squad can, IMO, cope very well in it''s class of ten and that has to be our sole aim this season in order to avoid the dreaded 18th. spot or worse.

It is therefore of "Premier League standard," give or take half a dozen teams. I genuinely think that. It is my opinion that we were a class above all our rivals last season and that we are not a class below MOST of our rivals this coming season. We have recently survived seasons up there with squads that have been far inferior to the one we have now.

Would anybody want Kamara, Morison, Jackson or Elmander back as strikers?

Would anybody want DeLaet and others back in defence?

Would anybody want Simon Lappin in midfield?

What we should expect, as armchair bound plastics with a shiny new android box and a case of Fosters (I speak for myself, of course, .... except for away games though) is a reasoned excursion into the market which aims to entice that player or two with that bit extra to offer over and above what we have.

I personally, would primarily want to see a classy centre back and another decent striker, at the least.

So far I remain slightly on the disappointed side, although I fully realise that the wheels grind slowly in these matters and that there is far more to it all than meets the eye of even the most fervent supporter.

Four weeks is a long time in football. Oh! Is it Wednesday already?

Come on McNally pull your socks up (smiley.)

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]When posters constantly refer to "Premier League standard," what they really mean is top six standard (or mostly.) We are light years away (if ever) from reaching these heights. The days of a Mike Walker inspired team of achievers are long gone. Sorry. but that''s our lot. The top teams in our league now regularly pay out fees of £20m+ and look at the Sterling money as more a way of keeping our feet firmly on the ground rather than as unrealistic aspirations. Our current squad can, IMO, cope very well in it''s class of ten and that has to be our sole aim this season in order to avoid the dreaded 18th. spot or worse. It is therefore of "Premier League standard," give or take half a dozen teams. I genuinely think that. It is my opinion that we were a class above all our rivals last season and that we are not a class below MOST of our rivals this coming season. We have recently survived seasons up there with squads that have been far inferior to the one we have now. Would anybody want Kamara, Morison, Jackson or Elmander back as strikers? Would anybody want DeLaet and others back in defence? Would anybody want Simon Lappin in midfield? What we should expect, as armchair bound plastics with a shiny new android box and a case of Fosters (I speak for myself, of course, .... except for away games though) is a reasoned excursion into the market which aims to entice that player or two with that bit extra to offer over and above what we have. I personally, would primarily want to see a classy centre back and another decent striker, at the least. So far I remain slightly on the disappointed side, although I fully realise that the wheels grind slowly in these matters and that there is far more to it all than meets the eye of even the most fervent supporter. Four weeks is a long time in football. Oh! Is it Wednesday already? Come on McNally pull your socks up (smiley.)[/quote]

In his prime, yes and if you say anything nasty about the KOS again you can bloomin well go and jump off Cromer Pier.

We must have money we were only out of the premier league for one season, we sell out most games at home and we are now selling more kits...and why we need a 3rd kit ive no idea but it does make the club money we have also signed a new deal with Eerea.

Now i understand that we dont want to be spending silly money on players and we need to get the right people in and this is evident by the larrivey deal in which he had his medical and was almost all done and dusted and AN stopped it from happening in years gone by we would taken the player and he would have sat and earned his money doing nothing.

But during the championship season as stated we had two trains of thought one was what happens if we dont gain promotion and what would we need to achieve this the following season, and what do we require if we gain promotion obviously Dorrans and Mulumbu fell into the later, and I think these are both good additions to the squad, but if we had been looking at other players then we should have them by now, the problem is that new players get off lightly if they come in late...they had not integrated, they have not had a full pre-season, they are still learning what the manager wants and with other teams picking up there players it becomes worrying the premier league is unforgiving every team has the ability generally to beat another team, which cannot always be said for other leagues.  

its not the big clubs i worry so much about because its difficult to take points off them during the season its the teams like Stoke,Watford,Bournemouth,West Ham going about their business leaving us behind.

The saving grace and keeping me optimistic is AN and i dont think our squad requires many additions.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I asked a question about Simon Lappin. Who or what is KOS? Where is Cromer pier?[/quote]

Are you sure you''re a City supporter?

During his time at Norwich, Lappin was given the nickname "King of Spain".

It''s that sticky out bit that goes from the land into the sea.

Too many fans are putting too much reliance on Neil''s ability to get our thin and very average squad through the season. AN has done a good job and when things are going well he''s fine, but, as he showed in the run in, when the pressure''s on he crumbles.Expect him to have packed it in - ala Holloway - by October

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Too many fans are putting too much reliance on Neil''s ability to get our thin and very average squad through the season. AN has done a good job and when things are going well he''s fine, but, as he showed in the run in, when the pressure''s on he crumbles.Expect him to have packed it in - ala Holloway - by October[/quote]

Yep, he crumbles all right-crumbles like he gets us promotion through the play offs.

Norwich of course have some money, but with McNally saying they need 6 new players and even if you count Dorrans and Mulumbu then they have to stretch the money pretty far.

Norwich spent quite a lot in the Championship and the fees received for Fer and Snodgrass both have clauses reliant on Premier League survival - which obviously didn''t happen. This has all taken a toll on the budget.

To buy even an average Premier League player like Brady will cost £5m - £8m, so 4 would cost £20m - £32m - more than Norwich have ever spent in a transfer window.

Obviously not every player will cost that much, with cheaper options from the continent taken into consideration but this means deals will take longer as McNally et al have to scrap over every penny.

As for wages, Norwich have a large squad. In the two friendlies AN has put out 2 complete teams, even with player absent due to international stuff or injury. That is an unsustainable size - Lafferty, RVW, Turner and Miquel haven''t featured at all and will each be on decent wages.

Norwich aren''t earning any more from the Premier League than they were in the season before last and have a larger squad than then. It is plain to see there can''t be a huge amount of wiggle room.

Ins are almost certainly reliant on outs I''m afraid.

The lack of transfer activity is a concern although it could all change over the next couple of weeks. What does concern me is AN''s statement that the inactivity is not down to the club. This implies it is the selling clubs or the players'' agents that are the stumbling block. Why is this an issue for us but seemingly not for other clubs? Are we making low bids that other clubs regard as embarrasing or contract offers that are not attractive to agents?

One source I have seen suggests that we are not looking for a new CB at all. Now, that really does concern me especially if we don''t boost the forward line.

If a player wants to come here then there is, or should be, fuck all his agent can do about it.

If he''s the sort of player who does as his agent advises rather than making the move out of choice with no exterior influence then he isn''t coming here for the right reasons (and we''ve had a few of them) so we don''t want them anyway.

Sources are always dubious but why should we be looking for a new centre back-Bassong and Martin will start the season as first choice and Ryan Bennett will fill in if either are injured or unavailable. Everyone seems to be thinking thats where we need replacements and are therefore panicking because a new one doesn''t seem to be forthcoming.

Maybe Neil rates Miquel highly enough for him to be in genuine contention as further cover. Hoosvold and Cueller both left, Miquel remained. You''d think if Miquel didn''t have a chance and was likely to be on his way, Cueller might have been retained. And Turner is still there as well. New centre back then??

The transfer window has as long to go as it has already been open. We also have a large squad. There will need to be some exits before significant new players arrive. As for the "we need to get them in so they integrate with the squad" argument-preferable but not vital. These are highly paid professional footballers who know more about tactics,. training and playing the game than any of us ever will. You think they *really* need 3,4,5 weeks to learn how to be a footballer with us after already being one for 3,4,5 years somewhere else? You think they''re going to walk in circles and bump into walls at Colney until they''ve settled down and ''integrated'' with all the scary big boys?

Above all else, a player needs to want to come here. If he doesn''t want to or has his heart set, for whatever reasons, for working and settling down elsewhere, all the money, perceived ambition and all the rest of it doesn''t matter a jot. So yes, all the "...why weren''t we in for him?" clarion calls-maybe we knew he wasn''t interested in the first place.

Why don''t some of you that are so anxious about us not spending cash like Watford, Bournemouth or others do just stop and engage your little grey cells for a moment? Good money was spent by QPR and Hull last season. It didn''t help them avoid the fate you are concerned that Norwich may face if we don''t spend cash. I''m sure some of you expressing this anxiety were some of the same folks who were over the moon when we spent good money to acquire RVW and Gary Hooper. It didn''t get the job done, did it? It''s not all about getting "a name" that commands a big transfer fee. It''s also about getting the right type of player who will fit in with the good things that got us back into the Premiership. We have a very good CEO and a manager who seems to know how to motivate others to get the best out of themselves. Why don''t you exercise a little patience and let them do the job they are being paid to do while you enjoy the ride.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Norwich of course have some money, but with McNally saying they need 6 new players and even if you count Dorrans and Mulumbu then they have to stretch the money pretty far.

Norwich spent quite a lot in the Championship and the fees received for Fer and Snodgrass both have clauses reliant on Premier League survival - which obviously didn''t happen. This has all taken a toll on the budget.

To buy even an average Premier League player like Brady will cost £5m - £8m, so 4 would cost £20m - £32m - more than Norwich have ever spent in a transfer window.

Obviously not every player will cost that much, with cheaper options from the continent taken into consideration but this means deals will take longer as McNally et al have to scrap over every penny.

As for wages, Norwich have a large squad. In the two friendlies AN has put out 2 complete teams, even with player absent due to international stuff or injury. That is an unsustainable size - Lafferty, RVW, Turner and Miquel haven''t featured at all and will each be on decent wages.

Norwich aren''t earning any more from the Premier League than they were in the season before last and have a larger squad than then. It is plain to see there can''t be a huge amount of wiggle room.

Ins are almost certainly reliant on outs I''m afraid
.[/quote]I think this summer is going to be very much like  two years ago, in terms of how much we can spend on transfers (probably enough for our realistic desires) and wages, and where we will be in the wage league table. That season we were 17th; this time I suspect we will be in the bottom three.As to the valid point about the need to offload players, two summers ago we got rid of no fewer than 13 players with first team experience, plus another four, including Surman, on loan. But crucially 13 of those had been sold or loaned out by this time then. Presumably because, knowing quite early on that we were still going to be in the Premier League, we could put our selling plans - and so our buying plans - into action. Not the position this summer.Two other points on the comparitive lack of transfers in (about whch I am not worried). What seems to have been a frequent change of scouting personnel (not to mention nomenclature!) in the last few years probably has not helped. And, whatever may be going on specifically with the Brady transfer, we do have previous when it comes to making low bids that will not possibly be accepted.

I hope the Bassong/Martin combination comes off next season and it might well do if opposition forwards are required to use Zimmer frames against us. Bassong is the best of the bunch but is prone to day dreaming during games. Martin is too slow and not great at clearance headers. Turner is so good AN sent him on loan to Fulham. Ryan Bennett is a bit injury prone but would be my choice to partner Bassong and Miquel is a complete unknown especially at this level. Our fe dive record last season was not the best and will be worse this season against much better forwards.

BTW another wonderfully pompous from Yankee.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Too many fans are putting too much reliance on Neil''s ability to get our thin and very average squad through the season. AN has done a good job and when things are going well he''s fine, but, as he showed in the run in, when the pressure''s on he crumbles.Expect him to have packed it in - ala Holloway - by October[/quote]
Waveney, you are a binner, albeit a binner totally fixated by all things NCFC, so FOYSC

Quite Crafty. This is a defence that conceded nearly 50 in the championship. As you say Bassong is best of the bunch and Olsson can hold his own, but we do need two new right side starters plus cover for Olsson. Three new defenders minimum.