Sign in to follow this  
AidanC

The wolf hunted

AidanC wrote the following post at 30/07/2014 10:09 AM:

Apologies I didn''t see the thread, I would want him to stay as long as I

knew he had a good chance of breaking in the side not rotting on the

bench, his commitment is 100%.

I assume you have never seen him play in the fleshCommitment 100% yesQuality 0% yesPoor excuse for a footballer who is currently raking in £20K a week of our money - only fools want him to stay - get rid asap

[quote user="Newton"]

AidanC wrote the following post at 30/07/2014 10:09 AM:

Apologies I didn''t see the thread, I would want him to stay as long as I

knew he had a good chance of breaking in the side not rotting on the

bench, his commitment is 100%.

I assume you have never seen him play in the fleshCommitment 100% yesQuality 0% yesPoor excuse for a footballer who is currently raking in £20K a week of our money - only fools want him to stay - get rid asap[/quote]

Don''t agree at all, was you at the Chelsea match at home last year where he out jumped J Terry and set up our goal. Like I said before RVW staying and his goals could make the difference between promotion and stagnation

Joanna Grey wrote the following post at 30/07/2014 2:04 PM:

The club will not them him go for 4 to 5 million, that''s too much of a

loss. Better to loan him out somewhere in Europe and hope he rediscovers

his goalscoring touch. We then either take him back for our return to

the PL or sell him at a profit.

What the F$$KNo chance - put your brains back in the right end of your bodyThe loss grows every week he is paid for doing NOTHINGNo one will take him on loan if we do not heavily subsidise his wagesThis board is full of day dreamers with little or no common sense - what a stupid posting - give me strengthyJ Gray I am sorry to tell you but Mr Blobby is not a real person

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]I''ve said it before and i''ll say it again RVWs game is all about movement and timing of the delivery, something that rarely happenned under CH, too much went through snoddy, who, despite being our top scorer , was like the ball hog in the playground and was all about himself, ''on the ball,hold on to it, delay,check back,delay pass again, oh dear the penalty area is full of defenders, might as well lob one in as i''m up a blind alley and let ricky try to scrap for it....oh that didnt work, i''ll try the same again in a few mins.''.....maybe thats why NA was prepared to let him go. Quick incisive passing will provide chances, ball hogging slow wingers will not. From the games i saw RVW was often moving in to space when the ball SHOULD have been delivered , but wasnt, how the hell can he score in those circumstances.....we may well play a completely different game this season compared to last...i certainly hope so. i bet ricky does too.[/quote]

And remember that Hughtons solution to this problem was to bring in Guttierrez on the other wing. A second, this time left sided and complementary slow ball hogging inverted winger *Fail*

Dont believe any of thisMost of the time he ambles up the pitch with his back to the ballNever makes himself available of makes any runsIf he ever gets the ball , loses control straight away, like playing with 10 menYet many fools on this board still want to stick with him WHY ?

So in addition to St Etienne or Benfica the wolf is hunted by Newton.

Whether RvW is here for the coming season will unfold shortly,  in the meantime we have a strong squad, a replenished (and not diminished striker force)  and a new season to get excited about;   try and embrace is and not let an obsession about other fans views of one player get in the way. 

[quote user="Newton"]Dont believe any of thisMost of the time he ambles up the pitch with his back to the ballNever makes himself available of makes any runsIf he ever gets the ball , loses control straight away, like playing with 10 menYet many fools on this board still want to stick with him WHY ?[/quote]

Chelsea fans were saying same thing about Drogba after 1st season.

Newton you have to realise what Hughton and Calderwood did to some of the players at the club.

He is also a Dutch international, so many people cant be wrong about his ability

[quote user="Newton"]Dont believe any of thisMost of the time he ambles up the pitch with his back to the ball[/quote]
Typical dutch striker, appears to not be interested, and then switches on as the ball comes through, from a young age he''s learnt that this behaviour yields results and is part of any great strikers arsenal when movement is key.
[quote]Never makes himself available of makes any runs[/quote]
To be fair he did to start with, until it was knocked out of him after relentless attempts but having no distribution coming in to him.[quote]If he ever gets the ball , loses control straight away, like playing with 10 men[/quote]
Different league mate, and he was isolated many times when that had happened and was low on confidence - hey, no one ever said he was a big target man that can hold the ball up, he''s a hidden blade in a series of cogs that can slice the opposition... We''ve just not used him effectively.[quote]Yet many fools on this board still want to stick with him WHY ?[/quote]
I can''t speak for everyone but:
1. I thought he looked very good when he first signed, full of movement, switched on and sharp - if he starts like this he''ll be hot property.
2. This is a ''lesser'' league, he was misfiring due to tight margins, they are much slacker in the championship.
3. He was mis-played last season so we never got to see what he is truly capable of in a fluid attack minded system.
4. He learnt how to improve his physical game last season and shows signs of being able to protect/challenge for the ball better.
5. I believe he''s an honest guy who has developed a love for the club, and desire to stay and show what he can do - that is never a bad thing.

[quote user="Google Bot"]

4. He learnt how to improve his physical game last season and shows signs of being able to protect/challenge for the ball better.

[/quote]

No he didn''t. Not at all.

Infact coming to the end of the season he cost us some "promising" positions because he lost the ball far too easily.

Newton wrote the following post at 31/07/2014 8:51 AM:

"What the F$$K

No chance - put your brains back in the right end of your body

The loss grows every week he is paid for doing NOTHING

No one will take him on loan if we do not heavily subsidise his wages

This board is full of day dreamers with little or no common sense - what a stupid posting - give me strengthy

J Gray I am sorry to tell you but Mr Blobby is not a real person"

Clear off back to portman rd you binner cunt.

Sorry J Grey  - to break the Mr Blobby news but because I was the first to tell you he not real, it does not make me a binner ???With regard to Wolf you, like many internet fans on this board do not see the whole picture from those dodgy streams, you have no comprehension as to how bad he was last yearThe players heads must have dropped when he was named as a starter on the team sheetFrom the postings on here no one wants to pay any sizeable fee for the fool and if he is to go on loan as I said before we will be paying a sizeable percentage of his wagesHis purchase was a  massive  c$$k up The mamger and chief scout have alreadt gone we just have to find £3M over the next 3 years to pay him offBinner no - lived in Norwich for 25 years & season ticket holder with my son & wife for 11 seasonsSeen us play thro thick & thin but never seen so much money wasted on such a poor player

No movement, pace , ball control, physical presence do I need to go on ????

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Google Bot"]4. He learnt how to improve his physical game last season and shows signs of being able to protect/challenge for the ball better.[/quote]

No he didn''t. Not at all.   Infact coming to the end of the season he cost us some "promising" positions because he lost the ball far too easily.

[/quote]
Not unlike most of our squad then?  Bassong, Fer etc. switching off and costing us is a far different crime than not being physically able to compete in my book.
If you look at where he lost the ball in ''promising'' positions he was usually isolated, as i''ve said he''s not the big target man type so you can''t expect him to fully maximise a ''promising'' position for a player of that ilk.  Which most of these ''promising'' positions where.
However, i will defend the guy and say it was his strength and willingness to challenge which improved through the season that saw us nick a few too.  It was only fine margins which prevented him for scoring crucial goals which would''ve secured our safety and ain''t that the truth?
If you don''t rate him then fine, i can see a sharp striker there and was concentrating on what positives he could draw from last season in response to Newton asking why an earth anyone would want him here, i believe it''s hard to knock a good man down, but it''s not so hard to help one up from the ground, so 100% behind the guy.

Whether I rate him or not doesn''t change that he simply did not improve the physical side of his game as the season went on.

Same with any player. If I think overall they''re a good player I try not let it blind me to the weaker parts of their game.

As far as RVW goes, being isolated doesn''t have much to do with the point. Even if the support isn''t around it doesn''t mean you don''t get your job done. "Target man type" or not you still have to protect the ball. Smaller players than him do a better job of it than he does.

Throughout the season he was just too easily brushed aside and, if anything, it got worse.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]If we go with the Lafferty,Grabban partnership as Grabban is hinting at on the homepage we will be in the Championship for a long stretch , two very mediocre strikers imo .
[/quote]

I''d be interested in seeing them. I''d be more interested in seeing that than seeing an RVW/Hooper partnership.

However, with the overall look of the squad as it is at the moment I have a bit of a niggling feeling that we''ll still be in the Champs this time next year.

Being isolated has EVERYTHING to do with it, he was quoted before even flying over that he can''t play that single role up front. But those in charge felt otherwise, clearly.

Your point regarding smaller players also could be argued that the smaller you are the lower centre of gravity, let alone the tendency to be stockier. Fact is RVW just hasn''t the body mass.

Within the confines of his physical presence it''s unfair to expect him to hold the ball up when isolated vs 2-3 premiership defenders. And that''s what happened week in week out. And admittedly he couldn''t adjust, but that doesn''t mean we should just cut him loose for our own managerial mistakes does it?

He needs to be passing and moving into space, becomng a moving target. In my eyes he was being asked to play a game that''s foreign to him but showed as the season went on that he was willing to physically challenge and hassle the opposition.

If i had to question anything about him, in terms of ability, it''s that he seems to be the type that looks for the ''perfect'' goal, and sometimes i would''ve preferred to see him just put his foot through the ball when presented with a chance - but then,. that''s a confidence issue i suppose.

I hope he gets the chance to prove doubters wrong, as i know you/any supporter would be too.

[quote user="Google Bot"]Being isolated has EVERYTHING to do with it, he was quoted before even flying over that he can''t play that single role up front. But those in charge felt otherwise, clearly. Your point regarding smaller players also could be argued that the smaller you are the lower centre of gravity, let alone the tendency to be stockier. Fact is RVW just hasn''t the body mass. Within the confines of his physical presence it''s unfair to expect him to hold the ball up when isolated vs 2-3 premiership defenders. And that''s what happened week in week out. And admittedly he couldn''t adjust, but that doesn''t mean we should just cut him loose for our own managerial mistakes does it? He needs to be passing and moving into space, becomng a moving target. In my eyes he was being asked to play a game that''s foreign to him but showed as the season went on that he was willing to physically challenge and hassle the opposition. If i had to question anything about him, in terms of ability, it''s that he seems to be the type that looks for the ''perfect'' goal, and sometimes i would''ve preferred to see him just put his foot through the ball when presented with a chance - but then,. that''s a confidence issue i suppose. I hope he gets the chance to prove doubters wrong, as i know you/any supporter would be too.[/quote]

No, it doesn''t. If the ball comes into you then you''ve got to be able to keep it for at least a moment or two until support arrives. If you get the ball, hold it up and nobody comes to help you then fair enough, you''ve done your bit.

Unfortunately there were times when the ball went into RVW and within a split second he had lost it, sometimes it was almost as if he didn''t expect the defender to be there and complete for the ball.

And you have to be able to adapt, good players can do that. Surely both you and RVW must realise that coming to play for Norwich City you''re not going to be surrounded by world class players who can thread you the perfect ball over and over again. And that in the Premier League you''re dealing with quality defenders who read the game quickly and move to close you down just as quickly.

The reality is that we''re not going to be able to play a slick passing game all the time or a game that ideally suits him. He needs to adapt and hopefully he can.

I thought he started the season quite brightly but as it dragged on he looked worse and worse. There was virtually nothing in the way of even a glimpse to suggest he was money well spent.

Say he''d been at Cardiff last season and had the same campaign as he did here. They got relegated and we stayed up. Would you be pleased if we were to make a move for him?

Think you''re being overly critical, he can hold the ball for a moment of course, but if you have no support what are you going to do once that moment has passed?! 
And yes, he''s lost the ball a few times, that''s what happens to the best also - trouble is it''s intensified in the manner we played, and results in sheer frustration for us that we may have been on a rare break.
The point i made is that i thought saw positives signs that he was adapting, and in terms of a physical battle was getting stronger... Especially winning the ball.
No, wouldn''t have him as a premiership club - couldn''t go through that again! :)
But would definitely have him in the championship, if say Cardiff survived but they wanted to get rid, i would have him over Grab and Lafferty - Not Hooper though... In fact, I would have Becchio in his place... But that''s besides the point.
I think he deserves a chance here, we could have a diamond in the making.

[quote user="Newton"]Dont believe any of thisMost of the time he ambles up the pitch with his back to the ballNever makes himself available of makes any runsIf he ever gets the ball , loses control straight away, like playing with 10 menYet many fools on this board still want to stick with him WHY ?[/quote]

You most obviously have never seen him play ,, if you ever ventured along to CR ,, you can clearly see that he very often gets into a great position ,, only for the ball to never get passed ,, or by the time it was,, he would be surrounded by defenders.

You binners come onto this forum to create a disturbance ,, you should have a look at your own shambles first !

[quote user="Google Bot"]

The point i made is that i thought saw positives signs that he was adapting, and in terms of a physical battle was getting stronger... Especially winning the ball.

[/quote]

In my opinion you saw that you wanted to see because you hope to see the player succeed.

I very, very much doubt any neutral watching us all last season would have seen RVW growing stronger and winning more of the physical battle.

I think it just seems like it was a catastrophic tactical faliure thinking RvW or Hooper would do well in a system with one up front. If we wanted that, we needed a ridiculously quick player (like Campbell for Cardiff or Gayle for Palace) or a lump that can score (Bony, Lukaku, Chamakh). We got two players who are technically strong but are not there to make chances themselves. In a two with a more physical partner, it''s clear they would fare better (as Hooper did for a bit with Elmander last year and RvW never got the chance to do). That said, I think our transfer window fell down where we overstepped ourselves hoping for Quag or Toby or Ola to come in and ended up with Elmander who simply didn''t have enough goals in his game.

I never felt we had the ingredients to nick a few cheap goals like you need at every level. Lafferty and Grabban should help that cause. Hopefully with a fully fit Leroy Fer still in tow and a more mature Redmond, we''ll create an atmosphere where RvW and/or Hooper could thrive.

[quote user="GJP"]In my opinion you saw that you wanted to see because you hope to see the player succeed.

I very, very much doubt any neutral watching us all last season would have seen RVW growing stronger and winning more of the physical battle.[/quote]

Well, there''s the point, i''m not a neutral, and of course i was desperate for Wolfy to do well, therein lays why i posted a positive view when Newton asked why anyone would want him here.  And despite you making some really well informed points my opinion hasn''t changed, i think there''s a lot to be said of mentality and positivity in this game, if we''re going to hit him with a stick let''s make sure that the stick has his name on it and not Hughton/Calderwood''s.

There is no real debate here, RVW is a proven goal scorer and has the skill set to do it again, he like many others was ruined by Hughton last seeason, plus his injury and a step up in standard for him, if he had managed to overcome all those things he would be a £50 million striker.

He proven goal scorer on your PS3 Utterly hopeless in EPL & as anyone who understands football knows would not cope with Champs

This is a board for opinions - those under 10 & those who only watch internet games like you tend not to have any of valueAny rational person who saw him play home & away last season would know how bad he wasWe are now stuck with the fool - Adams clearly does not want himBut u do - why is that ?

[quote user="Newton"]This is a board for opinions - those under 10 & those who only watch internet games like you tend not to have any of value[/quote]Sounds like the view Roeder had of Neil Adams.Keep digging.

what I don''t understand in the interview his age said something like Norwich would like a short term deal to get a top earner offthe books ,

we can afford the 20k a week wages cant we ? if not we should be able to so sell only in my book no loan will not help us at all ..... ok he might regain his form in france but he might be dire there