Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNath

SSN Zola

[quote user="splutcho"]Didn''t get relegated with a far worse Watford squad for two years, so clearly Wiz is right when he suggests that''s what would happen to us under Zola. Twunt.[/quote]But he nearly did with a decent West Ham squad in 2010. Win percentage of just 28% which is even worse than Hughton''s here.

I think Zola is a pretty good option - he has decent experience and tries to get sides playing properly, was rather unlucky not to take Watford up only a year ago. You''d also think he had good links with top clubs and be able to attract decent players.

To dismiss him out of hand, as seems to be the way of our supporters, really is a bit silly.

Re: Zola and West Ham - I seem to recall a certain Alex Ferguson had a very poor start to his managerial career in England. I don''t think Lambert started off particularly well at Livingston either.

Do you not think it possible for a manager to learn and improve over his career, or are they either born successful or failures?

This appointment would certainly be a bit more exciting than some of the names being bandied about, and being a "big name" perhaps Zola would be able to keep potential want-away players interested and/or persuade players to join us who otherwise wouldn''t be?

Zola makes more sense and ticks more boxes  the other three candidates with attacking style of play and experience in both divisions.Lennon (leading with my heart 1st choice) would be a risk and unproven in English leagues, Malky would be behind Zola with style of football and requiring a bigger budget leaving Adams as inexperienced but maybe a future prospect.Zola would be an good choice as we are now a Championship Club and we have to be realistic.

Very well put dibs i see it this way as well . I think Lennon would be the same sort of risk Hooper was and he didn''t set the world on fire with his first season with us .

just wish they would appoint someone so i can stop looking online every two mins

Must admit, I''m warming to the idea of Zola now. Am I the only one who hasn''t got a particular stand out choice?

[quote user="Alex "]Must admit, I''m warming to the idea of Zola now. Am I the only one who hasn''t got a particular stand out choice?[/quote]

I think most of us would be in the same boat.  Its something of a lottery.  Whoever we get, all we can do is hope that he gets the goals flowing again.   We have been starved of goals and something has to change.   Surprised Holloway hasn''t been mentioned.  I wouldn''t want him - but then again - he got Blackpool up playing attacking football.............

[quote user="morty"]People give you short shrift because you are a co(k Wiz, surely this can''t come as a surprise?
[/quote]

Spot on morty..........Huzzar!

Going by the press conference on Monday where McNally reconfirmed that we need attacking football next season, Zola''s style of management and his statement to the press yesterday, it does seem as if he is in with a good shout of getting the job. IMO it''s between MacKay and Zola. MacKay has promoted a team before but his style in more defensive than Zola''s and when he came up look what happened. Zola is the nearly man and more of a gamble in that respect but has had success in the Premier league both as a player and did an ok job with West ham.

I would assume that the delay in announcing it is due to finding a suitable DoF type to support so they can be announced together.

It''s wishful thinking but I would love to see a Zola / Roberto Di Matteo combo.

Wiz being put on the NCFC board of directors is more likely than RDM having any role at this club next season. I''d approach Alan Curbishley for that technical director post. Not had a managerial position in ages but he''s shown he''s not lost interest by joining Fulham for a short while last season. Could happen.

LDC, that''s a good point re Holloway. Not seen his name mentioned once, don''t even know if he''s currently at a club tbh. I''m definitely warming to Zola though, he could be a good fit for us.

[quote user="Dibs"]Zola makes more sense and ticks more boxes  the other three candidates with attacking style of play and experience in both divisions.Lennon (leading with my heart 1st choice) would be a risk and unproven in English leagues, Malky would be behind Zola with style of football and requiring a bigger budget leaving Adams as inexperienced but maybe a future prospect.Zola would be an good choice as we are now a Championship Club and we have to be realistic.[/quote]This sums it up exactly imo. Zola looks a very good candidate to me. He may not be as pragmatic as some of the choices but isn''t that exactly what people have been asking for?

Who are his lieutenants? I would like to think that Adams could be his assistant.

This could offer future stability if managed properly ie not throwing the baby out with the bath water if things don''t go well.

Don''t think Zola will get it. If we really wanted him, we could''ve appointed him last week and met that silly deadline. Same goes for Neil Adams. They either want someone currently in a job or want someone who is holding out for another job.