Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNath

SSN Zola

[quote user="Ginja"]No Way.

Thankfully the fact he''s had to publicly state he''s interested and praise the club indicates to me that he is well down the pecking order IMO

[/quote]

I doubt he knows where about he stands in the pecking order, and he''s unlikely to publicly state he''s a ''possibility'' for a job if he doesn''t think he''s likely to get it. The same way I wouldn''t start telling people I might be getting a new job unless I felt it was highly likely - just liable to look a bit silly when someone else gets it.

Michael Bailey and a few others who seem to know things have been saying for a few weeks that Zola is a candidate and a popular one. I wouldn''t be too surprised if it is him. Hopefully he can show the kind of success he had in getting Watford 3rd rather the failure he had with them last season.

After Hughton I think we need to have a little bit of the enjoyment put back into football. I think that goes for the players and the fans. While Hughton is obviously a pretty decent sort of person he really sucked the fun out of the game.

You know with Zola you''re likely to get a more exciting and entertaining brand of football and because he was such a good, flair player himself that will appeal to the players more than someone who is stuck in their ways with a defensive approach.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Ginja"]No Way.

Thankfully the fact he''s had to publicly state he''s interested and praise the club indicates to me that he is well down the pecking order IMO

[/quote]

I doubt he knows where about he stands in the pecking order, and he''s unlikely to publicly state he''s a ''possibility'' for a job if he doesn''t think he''s likely to get it. The same way I wouldn''t start telling people I might be getting a new job unless I felt it was highly likely - just liable to look a bit silly when someone else gets it.

Michael Bailey and a few others who seem to know things have been saying for a few weeks that Zola is a candidate and a popular one. I wouldn''t be too surprised if it is him. Hopefully he can show the kind of success he had in getting Watford 3rd rather the failure he had with them last season.

[/quote]

Bethnal, that''s how I took his comments too, in that he would have to be fairly confident before stating it was a possibility for him and that we need to wait and see what happens.

I wouldn''t be without reservations regarding Zola being appointed but I think he''s being quite harshly dismissed here.

At West Ham he arrived just as the Icelandic owners were withdrawing their backing, high profile players had left and he relied on blooding several youth team players in his time. Yes, they flirted with relegation but did enough to avoid it still producing a decent footballing side, all in quite tricky circumstances. He was replaced by Avram Grant, and we all know how that ended.

He inherited an unremarkable Watford side with the job of blending a huge number of loan players into a competitive outfit. They only just missed out on automatic promotion in his first season, again whilst playing a decent brand of football. After another huge turnaround in players (losing several key payers) in the summer last season they struggled to ever get going and he did a most rare and dignified thing in resigning.

Whilst it''s not a CV littered with one success after another I think he''s proven he can put together a good footballing side that will play with flair and be competitive, even in less than ideal circumstances. If nothing else I would be intrigued to see how he got us playing but if promotion is the be all and end all then he''s among the riskier options.

[quote user="Buh"]My favourite is the guys who want Eddie Howe desperately even though his one foray out of Bournemouth lead to disaster due to being homesick

Yeah, he''d get on great in Norfolk.[/quote]Yeah, the similarity ( not ) between genteel sunny Bournemouth and chips-with-everything rainswept Burnley is uncanny. They both begin with the letter '' B '' though.Bournemouth and Norfolk have much more in common. Lots of retired folk tootling about coupled with a re-assuringly high death rate, just like Burnley''s to be fair, should make him feel right at home.......[:D]

To me it seems Zola is 3rd or 4th choice. He''s out of work, if the club really wanted him they could''ve met that deadline and appointed him last week, but they clearly favour other candidates. Zola will get it if the others don''t want it.

Let''s not forget, Lambert hadn''t achieved too much at League 1 level before Norwich came calling.

I would be happy with Zola - think I would enjoy my Saturdays again, and think he would work well to develop our youngsters.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I seem to recall us out playing Cardiff and West Ham for 80 minutes,but in the end it meant sweet fanny Adams.[/quote]

Not quite Bor "Sweet Neil Adams"

Would fit the profile of the Manager they seem to be hinting at, plays attacking football, brings through youth, experience and success in the championship (3rd), premiership experience and prepared to work under a technical director by his quotes.

I''m not really sure why people aren''t warm to the idea, personally he seems one of the better options of those mentioned and I would take him over Malky and Lennon.

Jesus bloody wept..............N OOOOOOOOOOO![:@]

after initially thinking no now warming to the idea, he might be just the man to get the existing players enjoying their football again and to get them performing as they are capable, and also anyone that annoys Wizz is good with me :)

Wasn''t he sacked by West Ham after keeping up by 5 points and playing their best brand of football in years? Not to mention he was using a bunch of their academy kids.His biggest downfall at Watford was the squad full of loan players imo. Not sure if he chose those players or if they were brought over by the owner from the sister clubs. Not good in any league but certainly not the Championship. I''m surprised about this negative reaction to be honest. I would take him over Mackay, Adams, Sherwood and most other possible candidates. Would even marginally prefer him over Lennon.3 central defenders too scary a thought?

My preference would be Lennon but the positives with Zola are that there is a good chance he can convince players to stay, attract new players to the club and does try to play attractive football. It would be interesting to see who would be part of his team but I''m sure Adams would love to work with him.

Any appointment carries risks and I will back the successful candidate but would be pleased with this outcome.

[quote user="splutcho"]Anyone else hope we get him just to spite old sourpuss there?[/quote]

Thats a dumb reason to appoint someone, sacked by November, guarenteed.

I''m sorry which manager candidate are you actively supporting at the minute?

Care to explain why you don''t want Zola after complaining about negative Hughton and branding Malky Hughton mark 2?

[quote user="Monty13"]I''m sorry which manager candidate are you actively supporting at the minute? Care to explain why you don''t want Zola after complaining about negative Hughton and branding Malky Hughton mark 2?[/quote]

Lennon and Garcia were/are my choices.

Can you explain why I either are much better choices than Zola who has a definitive no from you wiz?

Haven''t heard the interview but judging by the summary on here i have to echo some other posters comments that if Zola is keen for the job it could well suggest he is not plan A, otherwise he would have been bought in already.

I doubt they would hold up the managers appointment untill they have the technical director sorted. I imagine we are waiting for Malky to make a decision with several back up options in place, inc Zola and Adams for sure.

KeiranShikari wrote the following post at 21/05/2014 6:48 PM:Wasn''t he sacked by West Ham after keeping up by 5 points and playing their best brand of football in years? Not to mention he was using a bunch of their academy kids.

----------------------------------------------

No, every west ham fans hate him and thought he was useless