Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Managerial Shopping List

My top three:Jos Luhukay - Dutchman who is currently manager of Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga. The side romped the German 2nd division last season with him at the helm, and have made a solid start to life in the top league.Previous to Hertha, he also gained promotion to the top flight with both Borussia Monchengladbach and Augsburg.Mario Been - Another Dutchman, and currently in charge of Genk in Belgium. He achieved a 5th place finish in the Belgian top flight in his first season with the club, and the side achieved 3rd place the following campaign, last season, as well as clinching the Belgian Cup.Genk have made a great start to the current season, topping the table after 14 games, ahead of the likes of Anderlecht and Standard Liege.Francky Dury - Another manager working wonders in Belgium, with Zulte Waregem. Joined the club midway through the 2011/12 season when they were struggling in the league, and managed to steer them away from relegation. The following season, the club enjoyed a phenomenal campaign to finish runners up, just four points behind winners Anderlecht. This season has begun promisingly for them as well so far, currently sitting in third place with just one defeat in 14 league games.

Too often the same old names get dragged up when a managerial vacancy becomes available. It''s time to think outside the box, explore the talented coaches enjoying success in the European leagues, and give one of them a chance in the Premier League.

Best and most realistic shout thus far.

Mentioned here and wanted Rangnick before Hughton and Holloway.

I would consider László Bölöni who has a ton of European experience with top French sides Rennes, Monaco and Lens, and at Sporting Lisbon, Standard Liege and Greek side PAOK. He''s 60, but if we could get him here he could take charge for at least a couple of years with his level of experience.Bölöni has won league titles and domestic cups at Sporting Lisbon and Standard Liege, the latter was a successful defence after the previous manager won it for the first time in 25 years. He''s got a little bit of experience in the Champions League, albeit a narrow defeat over two legs against Inter in qualification with Sporting and a mixed showing against the likes of Arsenal and Olympiacos in the group stage with Liege. At Sporting he introduced a young Cristiano Ronaldo into the first team.Bölöni had a decent Europa League campaign at PAOK in 2011/12 where they went from the third qualifying round to eventually top their group without losing a game. In their group they became the first Greek team to win in England since 1976 in beating Harry Redknapp''s Tottenham at White Hart Lane (after previously drawing 0-0 at home). He''s also had a fairly reasonable stint in charge of the Romanian National team during World Cup 2002 qualification.A bit of a fiery character who likes to play attacking football, Bölöni speaks good English and French, and probably one or two other languages given the countries he has worked in. As a player he was a regular for the Romanian national team and won the European Cup and Super Cup with Steaua Bucurest. He is currently managing in Qatar.

The obvious need is the restoration of faith in our team. This ongoing negative approach must cease. The simple aim of the sport is the scoring of goals and whilst we play with ten defenders and allow the opposition to control three quarters of the pitch we are never going to score. No matter how much money we spend on strikers.

We need a change at the helm and the man to put some spirit and believe into the club Malky Mackay. What about it Mr McNally.

Well just been looking at the sack race website and one name that made me shiver and yet wonder at the same time jumped out at me!

It won''t be popular but how about

Neil Warnock anyone?

If Swansea can sell that horrid little city to Laudraup i don''t see why we can''t aim for just as high profile ex player manager.

Frank De Boer would be my choice but the only hope would be if he wanted to leave Ajax which is highly unlikely.

My second choice would be John Van Den Brom currently the manager of Anderlecht leading the Belgium league

[quote user="Hannibal II"]If Swansea can sell that horrid little city to Laudraup i don''t see why we can''t aim for just as high profile ex player manager.

Frank De Boer would be my choice but the only hope would be if he wanted to leave Ajax which is highly unlikely.

My second choice would be John Van Den Brom currently the manager of Anderlecht leading the Belgium league[/quote]

Is this thread for fantasy suggestions?

"thas a rummun"

My top three.

Jos Luhukay - Dutchman who is currently manager of Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga. The side romped the German 2nd division last season with him at the helm, and have made a solid start to life in the top league.Previous to Hertha, he also gained promotion to the top flight with both Borussia Monchengladbach and Augsburg.

Mario Been - Another Dutchman, and currently in charge of Genk in Belgium. He achieved a 5th place finish in the Belgian top flight in his first season with the club, and the side achieved 3rd place the following campaign, last season, as well as clinching the Belgian Cup.Genk have made a great start to the current season, topping the table after 14 games, ahead of the likes of Anderlecht and Standard Liege.

Francky Dury - Another manager working wonders in Belgium, with Zulte Waregem. Joined the club midway through the 2011/12 season when they were struggling in the league, and managed to steer them away from relegation. The following season, the club enjoyed a phenomenal campaign to finish runners up, just four points behind winners Anderlecht. This season has begun promisingly for them as well so far, currently sitting in third place with just one defeat in 14 league games.

Too often the same old names get dragged up when a managerial vacancy becomes available. It''s time to think outside the box, explore the talented coaches enjoying success in the European leagues, and give one of them a chance in the Premier League.

Great post. I am not sure how likely they would come here but it''s good to hear different names other than the old, tired usual suspects.

Mauricio Pochettino has a blinder at Southampton and all of a sudden Norwich fans become chief scouts around Europe lol...

Let''s all just type in a European league, see what team is doing well and then google their manager and say he''ll do well here let''s get him.

IMHO can''t see the board going abroad for a manager.

Nobody listens to us anyway. But if they did then I''d rather they listen to ''Rumman than to the people suggesting Darren Ferguson, Nigel Clough or Steve ''squidgy face'' Bruce.

[quote user="thas a rummun"]My top three:Jos Luhukay - Dutchman who is currently manager of Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga. The side romped the German 2nd division last season with him at the helm, and have made a solid start to life in the top league.Previous to Hertha, he also gained promotion to the top flight with both Borussia Monchengladbach and Augsburg.Mario Been - Another Dutchman, and currently in charge of Genk in Belgium. He achieved a 5th place finish in the Belgian top flight in his first season with the club, and the side achieved 3rd place the following campaign, last season, as well as clinching the Belgian Cup.Genk have made a great start to the current season, topping the table after 14 games, ahead of the likes of Anderlecht and Standard Liege.Francky Dury - Another manager working wonders in Belgium, with Zulte Waregem. Joined the club midway through the 2011/12 season when they were struggling in the league, and managed to steer them away from relegation. The following season, the club enjoyed a phenomenal campaign to finish runners up, just four points behind winners Anderlecht. This season has begun promisingly for them as well so far, currently sitting in third place with just one defeat in 14 league games.

Too often the same old names get dragged up when a managerial vacancy becomes available. It''s time to think outside the box, explore the talented coaches enjoying success in the European leagues, and give one of them a chance in the Premier League.[/quote]Mario Been would be an interesting choice because of his European experience at Genk, but all three have comparatively little top-level experience. Hence I reckon they would be too much of a gamble compared to the better qualified candidates out there.We might not attract someone like Frank Rijkaard, but I think we could attract a lot better than the ones you mentioned.

@ white stuff.... I don''t see that the club has any other option than to look abroad with the boring completely uninspiring names being mentioned from this country. Also I''m sure McNally''s aware of how Laudrup and pinocchio have settled in

JonnyH, -- Interesting shout, Bölöni. Currently he is strongly linked with the vacant Hungary national team job, after the previous manager resigned (following an almost successful campaign that ended in an 8-1 trashing by the Netherlands!). Funnily, Hungarians want somebody non-Hungarian as their next, which might weaken Bölöni''s chances (should he be interested). Since there are other overlaps between City''s and Hungary''s wishlists I copy the shopping list of the latter (based on a local sports daily, with the no. of votes in brackets) just for the sake of interest.

Bölöni László (2498)

Paulo Sousa (2328)

Guus Hiddink (2293)

Felix Magath (2210)

Frank Rijkaard (1584)

Roberto Di Matteo (935)

José Antonio Camacho (556)

Marco van Basten (523)

László Csaba (390)

Huub Stevens (288)

Quique Sánchez Flores (283)

Ruud Gullit (250)

Ronald Koeman (232)

Fred Rutten (66)

Victor Munoz (45)

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]JonnyH, -- Interesting shout, Bölöni. Currently he is strongly linked with the vacant Hungary national team job, after the previous manager resigned (following an almost successful campaign that ended in an 8-1 trashing by the Netherlands!). Funnily, Hungarians want somebody non-Hungarian as their next, which might weaken Bölöni''s chances (should he be interested). Since there are other overlaps between City''s and Hungary''s wishlists I copy the shopping list of the latter (based on a local sports daily, with the no. of votes in brackets) just for the sake of interest.

Bölöni László (2498)

Paulo Sousa (2328)

Guus Hiddink (2293)

Felix Magath (2210)

Frank Rijkaard (1584)

Roberto Di Matteo (935)

José Antonio Camacho (556)

Marco van Basten (523)

László Csaba (390)

Huub Stevens (288)

Quique Sánchez Flores (283)

Ruud Gullit (250)

Ronald Koeman (232)

Fred Rutten (66)

Victor Munoz (45)[/quote]Thanks for the list, there''s some interesting candidates on there including a few who are unattached. That''s the one thing going against Bölöni, the fact that his being under contract in Qatar might hinder his availability.

One from left field... Paul Clement - current assistant to Ancelotti at Real after coming through the ranks as a coach at Chelsea and then following Ancelotti to PSG and Madrid.

He has had a great schooling in the game. Is young and hungry and has recently stated that he wants to step up and become a manager.

The last few coaches to leave Chelsea and become managers in Clarke & Rodgers haven''t done too badly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24032226