Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Clarke Carlisle - Depression In Football

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just look at Gazza, has''nt played a serious game in 10 years, but still manages to go out and buy Gordons Gin, i work 5 days a week, i can not afford to do that, Gazza has a roof over his head, no obvisouly money worries, so if they have a decent career, and put away their money correctly, they should be able to live happily ever after!! wheres the depression in that, where as in the real world, alot of normal 8-5 a day, 5 days a week, does not know how they will heat there house when they hit retirement!!! just WAKE UP!![/quote]

You are a classic example of why I no longer post on what is, in the main, a pathetic excuse for a Message Board. I have made a once only exception because you have exhibited ignorance even way beyond  that displayed by a number of the "traditional" morons on here.

You then have no worries in your life, so rather than comment on what i put, find a large hole and drop yourself  firmly in it, or wake up and smell the coffee of a normal everyday folk!!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just look at Gazza, has''nt played a serious game in 10 years, but still manages to go out and buy Gordons Gin, i work 5 days a week, i can not afford to do that, Gazza has a roof over his head, no obvisouly money worries, so if they have a decent career, and put away their money correctly, they should be able to live happily ever after!! wheres the depression in that, where as in the real world, alot of normal 8-5 a day, 5 days a week, does not know how they will heat there house when they hit retirement!!! just WAKE UP!![/quote]

Shakes head in disbelief at this post.

[/quote]

You would shake your head, because you have had a silver spoon stuck firmly up it!!

[/quote]

Shakes head again because if only you had the slightest idea what you are on about. Immature and ignorant do not even get close but keep digging if you want.

[/quote]

I have a good idea in what im on about, we all have different circumstances in our lifes, so can you tell me why a highly paid footballer should be more depressed than a shelf stacker, so can we get tescos and asda to set a depression clinic up, No is the answer, so you and webbo, get that high class silver spoon out of your backsides, and stick it were the sun dont shine

Unless like Til said, in a previous post he would like to meet me outside the Jarrold stand, but if word is true, an ex copper, more like bent copper 

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

You would shake your head, because you have had a silver spoon stuck firmly up it!!

[/quote]

Shakes head again because if only you had the slightest idea what you are on about. Immature and ignorant do not even get close but keep digging if you want.

[/quote]

I have a good idea in what im on about, we all have different circumstances in our lifes, so can you tell me why a highly paid footballer should be more depressed than a shelf stacker, so can we get tescos and asda to set a depression clinic up, No is the answer, so you and webbo, get that high class silver spoon out of your backsides, and stick it were the sun dont shine

[/quote]

Actually I have an alcoholic who also suffers from depression in my family and have witnessed first hand the devastation it has caused to their life and to those around. I have had to deal with the frustration and anxiety it has bought and have spent an awful lot of time at hospital and clinics in a vain attempt to help the individual concerned try and deal with their demons but unfortunately to no avail.

So you plank I do not need lessons on life from you.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Unless like Til said, in a previous post he would like to meet me outside the Jarrold stand, but if word is true, an ex copper, more like bent copper [/quote]

Oh so you do libel as well. As I said keep digging because we wont be seeing you around much longer with posts like that. [;)]

So till, are you looking at Minority or Majority, because im looking at Majority. we could go on forever, lets look at Minority... all league1, or conference players should stop playing now as they willl never cope with real life once playing career is finished, or shall we look at Real Madrid or Barca players, once career is finished they could sail around the world on there yachts, have a good look in the mirror!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Unless like Til said, in a previous post he would like to meet me outside the Jarrold stand, but if word is true, an ex copper, more like bent copper [/quote]

Oh so you do libel as well. As I said keep digging because we wont be seeing you around much longer with posts like that. [;)]

[/quote]

Is that a fret, or does the truth hurt!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I think the programme was pointing out that despite their wealth footballers are in a very high pressure job. Being in the public eye in the entertainment industry the tiniest mistake on or off the field is scrutinised. The same applies to others in the same category such as actors, singers and comedians.There''s plenty of those with millions in the bank and still depressed. If it was just about money why are they depressed when they can afford to bathe in champagne ?Shelf stackers will never be in the spotlight in the same way but I''ll bet that the major supermarkets already have systems in place to help those that do find life a mental struggle.Tip for Tilly and Webbo : If you''re looking for a dark place for those silver spoons best leave ''em where they are.....[;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="zemas tendon"]Is that a fret, or does the truth hurt!![/quote]

[8]While my guitar gently weeps[8]
[/quote]

It prob does weep, as that is the nearest action it see''s!!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the programme was pointing out that despite their wealth footballers are in a very high pressure job. Being in the public eye in the entertainment industry the tiniest mistake on or off the field is scrutinised. The same applies to others in the same category such as actors, singers and comedians.There''s plenty of those with millions in the bank and still depressed. If it was just about money why are they depressed when they can afford to bathe in champagne ?

Shelf stackers will never be in the spotlight in the same way but I''ll bet that the major supermarkets already have systems in place to help those that do find life a mental struggle.

Tip for Tilly and Webbo : If you''re looking for a dark place for those silver spoons best leave ''em where they are.....[;)]
[/quote]

You lot are obvisouly looking from oneside, this post stinks of it!!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I think the programme was pointing out that despite their wealth footballers are in a very high pressure job. Being in the public eye in the entertainment industry the tiniest mistake on or off the field is scrutinised. The same applies to others in the same category such as actors, singers and comedians.There''s plenty of those with millions in the bank and still depressed. If it was just about money why are they depressed when they can afford to bathe in champagne ?Shelf stackers will never be in the spotlight in the same way but I''ll bet that the major supermarkets already have systems in place to help those that do find life a mental struggle.Tip for Tilly and Webbo : If you''re looking for a dark place for those silver spoons best leave ''em where they are.....[;)][/quote]

You lot are obvisouly looking from oneside, this post stinks of it!!!

[/quote]We''re not the only ones then.

Before it turns into more of a riot between Tilly & Zema, I think it''s a conflict of interest here.

I can see Tillys point when you know someone in such plight but also Zemas where I believe their issue is "It''s an ex footballer". I can see Zemas point - hi profile, earned a decent wage, blew it all and then acts like they do - where anyone who has got through basic life $#it3 gets tossed to the side like trash while on an extreme budget to survive.

What is the difference between Gazza and anyone else? He was an idol for many (not me, he was still a t!t off the field when he played). Moments of genius on the pitch but that''s all.

Programs about such people need to look at others too. It may bring a tear to peoples eye that it''s Gazza but he''s not the only one but to his own misfortune AND/OR misguidence through fame/fortune/friends, brought it on himself.

Same as "Star gets cancer, big news" but "Person next door gets it, so what", they have to live with it. That''s what I think this big issue is. Fame blows it out of proportion to any normal human.

Fame puts people in the public eye and it does spark debate when someone in the public eye  has something that affects them like this.  It does show the ignorance that is still out there about depression, though.  It also shows that people are jealous of people who earn more money than them - as in " they earn lots of money and are famous, what have they got to be depressed about" kind of  thing.  Footballers are just as human as the rest of us.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are some really ignorant views running through this and although you think you have a good idea of what you''re ''on about'' I don''t think you do. Depression can affect anyone, regardless of social standing or money in the bank. Zema, you seem to think there is a correlation between money and depression for some reason? Depression is (and this may be surprising to you) a common mental health disorder and can be caused by a number of factors e.g. bereavement, stress, life changing events, chronic illness etc.

Referring to your odd statement above, why would someone from a particular profession be more depressed than another, and why do you compare examples at either end of the payscales - why is their pay important. Or are you referring to the scale of depression, for example mild depression through to major clinical depression or bi-polar disorder? The highly paid footballer is no more or less likely to suffer from depression than the shelf stacker - it will all depend on the invidual and their circumstances.

There are lots of free access resources widely availble on the internet - I respectfully suggest you undertake some research before posting on this sensitive subject.

Winston Churchill suffered with depression his entire life.... to the point he became opium dependant to even make it through his daily duties.

Would we have wanted anyone else during world war 2?

It''s a shame reading the ignorance on this tread. Depression is like catching a cold. It doesn''t happen for any particular reason and it can happen to anyone.

And there was me thinking, having read one particular moron on here, that it was all caused by lack of money. It can be brought on by countless things, can happen to anyone and can strike at any time.

[quote user="vindo"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="zemas tendon"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are some really ignorant views running through this and although you think you have a good idea of what you''re ''on about'' I don''t think you do. Depression can affect anyone, regardless of social standing or money in the bank. Zema, you seem to think there is a correlation between money and depression for some reason? Depression is (and this may be surprising to you) a common mental health disorder and can be caused by a number of factors e.g. bereavement, stress, life changing events, chronic illness etc.

Referring to your odd statement above, why would someone from a particular profession be more depressed than another, and why do you compare examples at either end of the payscales - why is their pay important. Or are you referring to the scale of depression, for example mild depression through to major clinical depression or bi-polar disorder? The highly paid footballer is no more or less likely to suffer from depression than the shelf stacker - it will all depend on the invidual and their circumstances.

There are lots of free access resources widely availble on the internet - I respectfully suggest you undertake some research before posting on this sensitive subject.

[/quote]

You are, of course, 100% correct in everything you say except I would suggest that the very last thing this particular "individual" deserves is respect. A particularly odious creature.

Depression, what is it.

It is generally accepted it is an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.  Now what is an imbalance, well it is actually just a balance, but is one which triggers depressive/negative thoughts.

Some people may be born with a physical reason why more of the depressive/negative chemicals are produced or why the happy/positive are not.  However we also have control over what we produce by the nature of our thinking.  So, are all depressed people ''clinically'' depressed, no and from now I am going to address those who are not clinically depressed.

Is it more likely a footballer will suffer from depression than a factory worker for example, I am going to argue yes and here''s why.

The brain (sub-conscious) is hard wired to achieve and much like a heat seeking missile will relentlessly go after the goals it is set, and only you have responsibility for that.  What happens to a heat seeking missile if has no target, it goes wherever it likes until it crashes and burns, it is at dis-ease!

Now footballers throughout their playing careers have a daily goal, training, match day, etc, however when they finish playing they don''t, unless of course they take personal responsibility and do something about it.  This is akin to people packing up work at ''normal'' retirement age and losing their way.  A footballer''s career ending is in effect a retirement but at a much younger age, an age when their brain is still incredibly active and seeking new challenges, so if it isn''t set any.... crash and burn.  Also, it is interesting to read how many players enter depression when their career ends abruptly and earlier than normally expected through injury, they are just not mentally prepared for it.

Does this mean we should have any more sympathy for them than the factory worker, well possibly yes, as they enter a state most of us won''t, but they can do something about it and most do, there are of course those that don''t, so their brains run them rather than them running their brains and as the sub-conscious is hard wired to achieve, is lazy and does not judge (these last two are the functions of the conscious) it will run off at a million miles an hour doing whatever it likes, it doesn''t care about the outcome!!

So setting your self goals, consciously, and living and breathing them until they become habits and drop into the sub-conscious, is perhaps the best, if not the only, way to remain happy and fulfilled.

I leave you with two last thoughts;

How many people have a written and notarised will, a plan for their death, but no plan for their life, and if they do have a written plan I doubt it has been given sufficient importance to be notarised?

What I think about is nowhere near as important as the way I think about what I think about!

I guess injured players will feel it most, constantly thinking what might have been etc. As you say Ray, everyone must set targets and goals, not neccesarily a task or a set amount, but just a plan of where they are going. For me, it''s simple, I would like to get fit enough to have a good crack at sunday league for at least a season before i''m 30 and I want to travel a bit more before I have kids, which is my third objective, past that I suppose I''ll have to think of some new objectives, which hopefully i''ll find out via my job, current interests, future travel and kids and through my property development.

I suppose this is how mid-life crisises happen. You get to later 30''s early 40''s and think ''is that it, what now?'' Perhaps people should plan for them better and then they won''t make such rash decisions, a bit like footballers retiring.

Clinically depressed people can get by fine, they just need to manage it better than every day people and constantly keep stimulated so their brain basically ''forgets'' that they are depressed. Ever wondered why all them bad thoughts and anxieties happen last thing at night?

[quote user="Webbo118"]And there was me thinking, having read one particular moron on here, that it was all caused by lack of money. It can be brought on by countless things, can happen to anyone and can strike at any time.[/quote]

Nail on the head for me.

The way I see it is this, it''s tragic whoever it strikes, but with the obscene amount of money sloshing around in out game surely something can be done to help the footballers.

The problem is that a number of people who do suffer keep it quiet because it can be regarded as a sign of weakness. There is often stigma and shame attached to it which, in my view, is totally wrong.