Sign in to follow this  
Joanna Grey

Nursey

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

As I understand it Nursey and Charlie Wyett are the two ''go to'' writers when Norwich are briefing on transfer stories. If anyone is going to get information from the club its them.

[/quote]

Christ, I hope you''re wrong on this Bethnal, if not, we''re in trouble, didn''t RVW say that Hoots promised him that new top signings would be made?

Chris Deighton ‏@chrisdeighton 6h

@JamesNursey @littlenorwich ... be bringing in 5-8 new players before pre season! Please do some research!

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 4h

@chrisdeighton i''d be amazed if a chief exec went on air & detailed his club''s transfer kitty!! would b idiotic & undermine negotiations

##########################################

So if it''s so idiotic then how come Nursey seems to know all our purchases in advance?

[quote user="Eadie4England"]What like davies, mboyo, ibrahim toure. 3 that hes got wrong.[/quote]But he didn''t, Davies- Birmingham wanted too much Mboyo- turned us down Toure- couldn''t get a work permit.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Chris Deighton ‏@chrisdeighton 6h

@JamesNursey @littlenorwich ... be bringing in 5-8 new players before pre season! Please do some research!

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 4h

@chrisdeighton i''d be amazed if a chief exec went on air & detailed his club''s transfer kitty!! would b idiotic & undermine negotiations

##########################################

So if it''s so idiotic then how come Nursey seems to know all our purchases in advance?[/quote]

Nursey is right that a CEO would be stupid to say how much was in the transfer kitty, but I didn''t believe McNally has done that. He supposedly talked about 5-8 new players, but they could all be dirt cheap for all one knows.But it is possible - I only say possible - that Nursey does know some of our transfer targets. Some journalists do have good sources and hear stuff in advance of the news being broken officially.

Nursey isn''t a City fan! Where did that rubbish come from? He "broke" the story about Lambert''s interest in the Villa job , and that was the only thing he has got remotely close to. He is the midlands reporter for the Mirror. God we really do clutch at straws here. Do you you really think that Davies would choose Hull over us , with the chance to work with Hughton again, if we had reall wanted him? Is he better than any of our Centre Backs . Nope .  

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Well we didnt sign any of them tho. I could tell ya 3 players names we aint gonna sign.[/quote]He said we were in for them, we put bids in and we didn''t get any of them end of.

Well maybe he could tell us someone we are going to sign and we actualy sign them. That would be nice.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "]He said we were in for them, we put bids in and we didn''t get any of them end of. [/quote]Anyone could claim that about any player though, there''s no way to falsify it.

I think everyone needs to calm down a little. I know the guy, he comes from Norfolk so has a genuine interest in the club. As with any journalist, he tries to keep his ear to the ground and passes in the rumours he hears. It does not mean they will all bear fruit.

While im at, people blaming twitter for rumours is ridiculous. It''s a media platform, it''s people that make up the rumours, not the handset / desktop. Yes, we live in a world where more information is available, especially if you seek it out. After all this is a social media message board, just another means of communication.

I really don''t understand why people get so upset at rumours and slag people off when they choose not to provide a source or blame them for the quality of source. Rumours are just that... Rumours! If you can''t handle the fact that most are probably rubbish, then don''t come on here or twitter.

I for one, find this part of the season fun and exciting, especially seeing how some people get so wound up about it!

It''s only football transfer rumours.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Is this guy for real? How can a Sports Journalist and NCFC fan be so out of touch? A recent tweet along the same lines as all his other "cash strapped City" messages. [/quote]

Just for clarification, has he actually stated that City are cash strapped?

Anyone think that perhaps the club/his source has been feeding him little tiblets of false info coupled with some useful stuff. It would give us a chance to exploit the media into portraying we have a much smaller transfer budget than we really do

[quote user="priceyrice"]Anyone think that perhaps the club/his source has been feeding him little tiblets of false info coupled with some useful stuff. It would give us a chance to exploit the media into portraying we have a much smaller transfer budget than we really do[/quote]Yep I think you''re spot on tbh. We know that journalists, agents, and clubs all try to use each other to gain any sort of advantage and I wouldn''t be at all surprised if we leaked misleading information.

No need for conspiracy theories he is just a chancer with a "throw enough crap and some of it will stick" method.

Probably wouldn''t be so bad if he could actually write, he might chose better wording to make his bull more vague and less liable to be picked apart. 

He''s often pretty accurate. Was on McVeigh and Butler last year. Seems trustworthy.

At the end of the day, if you don''t like rumours, switch off and just log to Canaries.co.uk until the official news comes through!

The problem with a lot of rumours that don''t come off is that we never really find out if there were legs in many of the unsuccessful ones or not, so it often ends up being one persons word over anothers, without either being able to prove for certain!! I can''t remember too many false one that James Nursey has gpbeen involved with concerning NCFC.

Has anyone on here yet thought that City fan Nursey could be an "IN" on our side and he''s saying that we are cash strapped to hopefully keep our purchase prices down?

...like the exactly opposite of Cardiff and co'' who''s chairman comes out and states, we have money and will spend big, surely thats only going to add a couple of mill onto each transfer.

Just a thought.

Never seen anything that he has written that in any way paints ncfc in a decent light but maybe as I have said before its because he is not very good. I certainly can''t remember any rumours he has been involved in that have come to anything.

Hate to big up Charlie Wyatt again but the last story he broke was the double bid for Graham and Hooper back in January (that was subsequently confirmed by the club)

I guess all gossip is interesting I just find him very smug especially considering almost nothing he says comes to anything. I also find it odd that a Norwich fan involved in sports journalism would know so little about what players are required to complete the squad or indeed consider we have no money despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Just a sloppy journalist who doesn''t take much interest In the team he supposedly supports.

I certainly don''t buy into any conspiracy theories of misinformation.

Its not really a conspiracy theory, there was an article posted recently by Bethnal I believe which had interviews with agents, execs and journos about the transfer window and they all use misinformation to try to acheive their conflicting goals.If we''re not using it then we are missing a trick.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

Never seen anything that he has written that in any way paints ncfc in a decent light but maybe as I have said before its because he is not very good. I certainly can''t remember any rumours he has been involved in that have come to anything.

Hate to big up Charlie Wyatt again but the last story he broke was the double bid for Graham and Hooper back in January (that was subsequently confirmed by the club)

I guess all gossip is interesting I just find him very smug especially considering almost nothing he says comes to anything. I also find it odd that a Norwich fan involved in sports journalism would know so little about what players are required to complete the squad or indeed consider we have no money despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Just a sloppy journalist who doesn''t take much interest In the team he supposedly supports.

[/quote]

This is spot on. I should perhaps clarify my ealier post about him not being a City fan. Whether he is , or is not, isn''t the point. There seemed to be some correlation between his allegiance and him being in the know. From what I''ve read of him , he doesnt know anything more than most of us. Most of his stories are midlands based, which is hardly surprising. The Curtis Davies story came out of Birmingham , JN just dressed it up a bit to involve City.

Hughton didn''t want , or need, Davies. If he had of done, he would have got him.

"This is spot on. I should perhaps clarify my earlier post about him not being a City fan. Whether he is , or is not, isn''t the point. There seemed to be some correlation between his allegiance and him being in the know. From what I''ve read of him , he doesn''t know anything more than most of us. Most of his stories are midlands based, which is hardly surprising. The Curtis Davies story came out of Birmingham , JN just dressed it up a bit to involve City.

Hughton didn''t want , or need, Davies. If he had of done, he would have got him."

Erm the Curtis Davies story came out of Birmingham because that''s where Nursey is based - he covers the Midlands teams for the Mirror. He is not in the know because of his allegiance but I think he sniffs out more gossip about Norwich than some other clubs because he has a genuine interest and he may possibly have a better idea than most as to what areas we may be targeting because (as is evident from various articles and blogs on the mirror website) he clearly has quite a good relationship with Hughton flowing from Hughton''s time managing Brum. Not everything will come off. I am sure some things he has said has been correct at the time but then not come off for various reasons whilst other things have happened quickly and changed our plans. For example i had heard from a different source that we were going for Curtis Davies last summer but then Bassong obviously became available and prompted a change of plan.

Finally, as far as I can see he''s not said we have no budget or that we could not afford Davies this summer if we wanted him, just that we did not pursue Davies again because we are prioritising another striker, left back and wide player. I suspect had R Bennetts form not been so good at the end of the season the situation might be slightly different. I suspect also the players we are prioritising are Toivenon/Hooper, Olsson/Naughton and Redmond/Kebe, all of which we have been linked with and would fit with these tweets.

Most of us would also i think take the view we could do with another central midfielder. Maybe Hughton shares that view, maybe he doesn''t.

He is being slightly more specific with his tweets now compared to a month or so ago. He does keep saying that our biggest purchase will be another top striker and what''s left would go on squad players, specifically a LB (cover for Garrido) and a wide player. He also said that Hooper was the main target and that Toivonen was only a back-up plan if we did not get him.

So do we believe the factual information coming from Club sources - at least six players including two wingers and an attacking midfielder - or Nursey?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]He is being slightly more specific with his tweets now compared to a month or so ago. He does keep saying that our biggest purchase will be another top striker and what''s left would go on squad players, specifically a LB (cover for Garrido) and a wide player. He also said that Hooper was the main target and that Toivonen was only a back-up plan if we did not get him. So do we believe the factual information coming from Club sources - at least six players including two wingers and an attacking midfielder - or Nursey?[/quote]

Hughton actually denied ever saying that to RvW.

Charlie Wyett has also said similar to Nursey - that he has also heard that Norwich would only be signing 3 or 4 players and a striker was the main priority (although then changed his story to 6 or 7). If those two are both singing from the same hymn sheet you can pretty much guess they have both been told that by the club. If the club is telling them the truth or not is another matter of course. I wouldn''t recommend the club telling ''untruths'' to reporters of two of the most influencial sports papers in the country myself, but maybe they feel this is the best plan for the coming summer.

Things will become much clearer in the next few weeks as players around the country return to training and are told if they are in a manager''s plans for next season. No one is really in the mood to do business at the moment and only clubs that need radical overhauls are getting signings done (Villa and Sunderland).

He was born in Loddon, his Mum and Dad live just across the road from my parents. He was always a Norwich fan when when we were at school and I haven''t read anything that changes my mind on that since. In fact this link states quite clearly he is a fan (read the bit about the UEFA cup run programmes) http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/fwa-qa/fwa-qa-james-nursey/He has an obligation as the Midlands area reporter to focus on the Midlands clubs, as does any other regional "expert" (Pat Murphy on 5 Live being a good example), but there''s no doubt that Norwich is his team.As for being in the know… who knows? About as much as all the sports reporters I''d imagine.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

That''s not his job. That is what he would be paid to do if he was the head of media for NCFC. He is a reporter covering Midlands football. There is no reason why he should write about NCFC at all except when there is a Midlands connection.