Sign in to follow this  
Weve (no longer) Got Angus

Safety on Sunday??

I''m probably not the first to say this, and it''s probably been documented already, BUT.....

If we beat WBA on saturday, and Aston Villa lose to Chelsea, then we are safe, as Villa then have to play Wigan on the final day.

All we''ve got to do is bloody win now!! C''mon you yellows!!!!!

not going well so for tonight with Chelsea winning.

they''ll be 6 points ahead of Spurs with 2 to play.......an open invitation for them to play the reseves at Villa 4 days before a Europa League final?

Chelsea will still put out a full strength team on Saturday. They wont want to finish 4th and have to play two Champions League qualifiers potentially against the 4th team from Germany or Spain.

[quote user="Manchester Canary"]Chelsea will still put out a full strength team on Saturday. They wont want to finish 4th and have to play two Champions League qualifiers potentially against the 4th team from Germany or Spain.[/quote]

Rafa Benitez wont care too much as to whether Chelsea finish 3rd or 4th, he won''t be there next season......he''s interested in winning the Europa League and said almost as much before the game tonight.

"If we win tonight, we can approach the Europa League in a ''different'' way"....were his exact words?!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Chelsea, if they win, can still catch Man City who have 2 very difficult league games coming up separated by the cup final.[/quote]

i assume that''s tongue in cheek?!

Won''t Chelsea want to secure 3rd place by beating Villa, thereby ensuring they go straight into the group stages of CL leaving the two North London neighbours to battle for 4th?

Arsenal could still put a lot of pressure on them if Chelsea slip up at Villa. They''d then need to beat Everton at home on last day if Arsenal win last 2 games. Everton will be no push overs in Moyes'' last game.

Yeah.  Keeps all three teams in the hunt for a Champions League place and needing wins to be sure.Caught the end of that game. Crazy end to end stuff. Spurs nearly got a winner.

Yep perfect result for us.Chelsea still need a result on Sunday to confirm Champions League place and Arsenal and Spurs both need to go all out and win both theri last games to fight for the fourth place. Which is bad news for Newcastle and Sunderland who have to play Arsenal and Spurs respectively on the last day of the season.

For me as long as we get a point or more at the weekend and Wigan lose to Arsenal, then it''s safety all right! Though if we win sunday, i''d believe it anyway! As long as results happen the way they should on paper, we''re as good as there!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Yeah.  Keeps all three teams in the hunt for a Champions League place and needing wins to be sure.Caught the end of that game. Crazy end to end stuff. Spurs nearly got a winner.[/quote]Remember Chelsea and Villa play on the Saturday, not Sunday. Potentially

Norwich will go into the WBA game knowing a win will see us safe -

providing Chelsea win.Then all we need to do is to work out how to win footballs matches again! There must be a manual at Carrow Road somewhere.

Just no chance to relax. Next it''s Villa-Chelsea, then Stoke-Spurs before we next KO on Sunday. Let''s hope the 3 CL contenders just keep winning now until the end of season. Or better still, if Chelsea and us do both win at the weekend, I can become a Wigan supporter again. just so fickle at the moment with my allegiances to other teams!

I know this is horrendous nitpicking but just to be clear - Chelski play Villa on SATURDAY, we play WBA on SUNDAY - pedantic rant over! [:D]

[quote user="plengcharthai"]Just no chance to relax. Next it''s Villa-Chelsea, then Stoke-Spurs before we next KO on Sunday. Let''s hope the 3 CL contenders just keep winning now until the end of season. Or better still, if Chelsea and us do both win at the weekend, I can become a Wigan supporter again. just so fickle at the moment with my allegiances to other teams![/quote]

Yes, the ideal scenario if we win would be Villa to lose their last two games!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="plengcharthai"]Just no chance to relax. Next it''s Villa-Chelsea, then Stoke-Spurs before we next KO on Sunday. Let''s hope the 3 CL contenders just keep winning now until the end of season. Or better still, if Chelsea and us do both win at the weekend, I can become a Wigan supporter again. just so fickle at the moment with my allegiances to other teams![/quote]

Yes, the ideal scenario if we win would be Villa to lose their last two games!

[/quote]

IMHO

SaturdayChelsea beat Villa (very likely)SundayWe beat WBA (of course we can)Newcastle beat QPR (certainly possible)Sunderland beat Southampton (certainly possible)TuesdayWigan beat Arsenal (it''s possible, but very tough)SundaySouthampton beat Stoke (very likely)Wigan beat Villa (very likely)Everyone''s happy right?

York, be sure to bump your post, if the perfect scenario materializes. Although, I know we''ll all be just more than content with the first 2 outcomes.

York Canary wrote -

"Saturday

Chelsea beat Villa (very likely)

Sunday

We beat WBA (of course we can)

Newcastle beat QPR (certainly possible)

Sunderland beat Southampton (certainly possible)

Tuesday

Wigan beat Arsenal (it''s possible, but very tough)

Sunday

Southampton beat Stoke (very likely)

Wigan beat Villa (very likely)

Everyone''s happy right?"

I would take us getting something out of the West Brom game and Arsenal beating Wigan. Job done.

I want us to beat WBA then we don''t care too much about the other results on Sat/Sun and as long as Wigan drop points at Arsenal we''re mathematically safe.

A draw against WBA means another Tuesday night spent watching BBC text commentary on a game between two teams that I don''t care about but want one to win just so it makes us safe.   And our fate being in someone else''s hands.  Again.

Please can''t we just do the business against WBA rather than relying on the fact that Arsenal will probably beat Wigan ?

For the love of God! Our fate has never been in anybody else''s hands all season! That will not be the case until we find ourselves in 18th spot with the same number of games played as everybody else in the mix. It may be your opinion that we could not possibly win enough of our potential remaining points (and I accept that we are unlikely to get maximum points) but while we are above 18th place with enough points to play for, our fate does still lie in our own hands!

Well that''s true Chip

My worry is that most people on here seem to think a draw vs WBA is good enough.  But if Wigan beat Arsenal - like they did at this stage of the season last year - we would travel to Man C for our final game with Wigan one point behind us and playing Villa at home for their final fixture.  And I really don''t want to be driving over to Manchester on the 19th thinking that a win for us is the only way to guarantee survival, and otherwise it depends on how Wigan/Newcastle/Sunderland etc etc get on.  All too reminiscent of a certain trip to Fulham !

So if we draw against WBA, while technically it would still be in our hands, in reality we''d be relying on Arsenal to beat Wigan to avoid a very uncomfortable final day.

Me - I want a win on Sunday, then Wigan fail to beat Arsenal and we''re home and dry.  Nice relaxed trip to the Etihad and we don''t care if we lose 6-1, maybe we even nick a win from them, but we''ll be celebrating another year in the Prem either way.

Fail to win on Sunday and it''s another evening of gut-wrenching tension about a game between two teams I don''t care about.  And then worst case, the following Sunday spending the whole game worrying about how other teams are doing and whether we''ll get a good enough result to stay above them, at a place where we never get anything. 

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Not sure PL would be that happy, York![/quote]Everybody that matters though..[;)]