Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

Putting Grant Holt into Perspective

Some say poor form, some say past it, some say restricted by 4-5-1 and limited for chances as a result. I say restricted by the 4-5-1 as better suited to 4-4-2. Despite this, here''s some interesting data:

Grant Holt

23 Apps (5 goals) 1 goal in every 4.6

Nikica Jelavic

26 Apps (6 goals) 1 goal in every 4.33

Emmanuel Adebayor

15 Apps (2 goals) 1 goal in every 7.5

Papiss Cisse

25 Apps (6 goals) 1 goal in every 4.16

Danny Graham

21 Apps (3 goals) 1 goal in every 7

Darren Bent

12 Apps (2 goals) 1 goal in every 6

Peter Crouch

24 Apps (5 goals) 1 goal in every 4.8

Danny Welbeck

20 Apps (1 goal) 1 goal in every 20

Mario Balotelli

14 Apps (1 goal) 1 goal in every 14

These 9 strikers were all in the top 25 goalscorers last season.

Agreed, although we are used to seeing him get a goal every other game. When you look at where he has come from and what we expected when we signed him, he owes us nothing and i will never be critical of him.

Norwich fans have to be realistic about how many goals any striker is going to score for us in one season.

Nine or ten goals is a good return for a Premier League striker for any team outside of the top 4 or 5.

He is a victim of his own success, in that he set the bar far higher than he was expected to last season and is now judged against his own goalscoring rate last year.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The most influential player since Huckerby and, in my opinion, the most influential leader since Forbes.[/quote]

Adrian Forbes? Influential leader?

Joking aside, Singup of the stats you''ve listed, how many of the Apps are starts and would it be fairer to assess by minutes on the pitch?

My judgment of Holt is based on the fact that we look a far better side and more dangerous with him in it than not. The same could be said of young Wesley. Maybe that''s why Hughton plays a system that enables them both to be on the pitch as much as possible.

Those are great stats and really put into context where Grant Holt is compared to his peers (many of which have commanded massive transfer fees in comparison).

It''s always good to present a thing called "reality" to the serial moaners / pant wetters of this board (wiz).

Well only 22 of Holt''s have been starts, 5 off of the bench.

The problem with judging on goals per start is that I''d then have to work out how many goals came from sub appearances.

I couldn''t divide 22 by 5, for example, seeing as one of Holt''s goals came off the bench.

I''d say that 4-5-1 has been the tactic of choice this season for two reasons:

1) It accommodates Wes

2) Hughton wanted to spend on defenders not strikers

Probably has less to do with wanting to have Holt and Hoolahan on the pitch at the same time, but rather a realisation that the only Premier League striker at the club was Holt, he couldn''t afford to buy a second one, and an appreciation for the way that Hoolahan keeps possession.

We will probably see more 4-4-2 and a bit less Wes next season. Probably not a bad thing though, the bloke is 31 and if he is managed properly in a Ferguson style Giggs-like fashion I can see him playing some sort of role here until he is 34 or 35.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The most influential player since Huckerby and, in my opinion, the most influential leader since Forbes.[/quote]

What Adrian Forbes? Lol

I''m not too worried about how many goals he scores, his personal tally is irrelevant so long as the team is doing well, and with our current leage position and run in you have to say we are doing great. Not wishing to knock posters who don''t attend games, there are many reasons for that, but if you only see streamed games you can not judge Holty''s contribution to the team because it is not always caught on camera. His work rate is still immense, he still gets back to clear balls off the line, takes the ball wide to make space for others, wins the ball back in mid field and is a source of inspiration and leadership to the other guys. And yet as in last Saturdays game he pops up to score an absolutely crucial goal. Looking at what he has done for us and is still doing, I fail to see how anyone can be critical of his contribution.

Go back a couple of seasons when promotion looked likely and people asked if we got promoted if Holt would be a premiership success.

I said then that it depends on what you feel is a reasonable target.

I said then and I will say it again, a striker of Holt''s type is a success if he get''s you 10+ goals a season. 15 last season was brilliant.

This season has been much tougher on him. No one around him appears to be giving him any sort of service. Yes he has missed a few too, but if you are getting one or two shots a game and your confidence is a bit low then its not enough.

However, now we have the personnel to at least put someone up there to support him more directly I think he will start to get more out of games again. He won''t appear so lazy as he knows chasing ''lost'' causes will mean there will be someone else attacking the box, rather than having to play it back down the pitch so he can get in there.

If Holt can get another 4-5 before the end of the season I will be happy, especially considering the start to this season and the lack of support for him.

You really ought to say which one you mean when making this statement Highland!

[quote user="a1canary"]

You really ought to say which one you mean when making this statement Highland!

[/quote]

More influential than all three for me!

Just doing some fag packet analysis here and assuming a match is only 90 minutes long, split into halves that only last 45 minutes here is some further numbers to prove the OPs point:

Grant Holt
23 Apps (5 goals) 1 goal in every 4.6
1807 minutes = 361.4 m/g
39 shots = 7.8 s/g; 46.3 m/s
Assists 2

Nikica Jelavic
26 Apps (6 goals) 1 goal in every 4.33
2017 minutes = 336.1 m/g
63 Shots = 10.5 s/g; 32 m/s
Assists 2

Emmanuel Adebayor
15 Apps (2 goals) 1 goal in every 7.5
1045 minutes = 522.5 m/g
25 shots = 12.5 s/g; 41.8 m/s
Assists 0

Papiss Cisse
25 Apps (6 goals) 1 goal in every 4.16
2008 minutes = 334.7 m/g
50 shots = 8.3 s/g; 40.2 m/s
Assists 0

Danny Graham
21 Apps (3 goals) 1 goal in every 7
1026 minutes = 342 m/g
36 Shots = 12 s/g; 28.5 m/s
Assists 1

Darren Bent
12 Apps (2 goals) 1 goal in every 6
669 minutes = 334.5 m/g
18 shots = 9 s/g; 37.2m/s
Assists 0

Peter Crouch
24 Apps (5 goals) 1 goal in every 4.8
1591 minutes = 318.2 m/g
32 Shots = 6.4 s/g; 49.7 m/s
Assists 3

Danny Welbeck
20 Apps (1 goal) 1 goal in every 20
994 minutes = 994 m/g
30 shots = 30 s/g; 33.1 m/s
Assists 3

Mario Balotelli
14 Apps (1 goal) 1 goal in every 14
676 minutes = 676 m/g
34 shots = 34 s/g; 19.9 m/s
Assists 0

One thing that jumps out at me is that the two players with the highest minutes per shot (m/s) also have the lowest shots per goal (s/g) ratio, those being Peter Crouch and our very own Grant Holt... Peter Crouch actually comes out of this very well having the most assists. It also seriously questions why Danny Welbeck keeps getting chosen for England, sure he shoots a lot but they''re pretty ineffective and considering the amount of goals Man Utd have got this year 3 assists isn''t as good as you''d think.

I was looking at the article on the beeb about Arsenal planning a statue for Bergkamp when I noticed their stats for him.

423 appearances, 120 goals, and wiki says 116 assists.

That is a 1 in 4 ration ish for both goals and assists.

I wonder how Holt tallies up against that?

I am not saying that Holt is anything like the player that Bergkamp was, but if he is getting similar results then should he be so heavily criticised?