Sign in to follow this  
deltic31

Half time refreshment in the Barclay

Does anyone else think that the organisation of this is c r a p. People trying to get to the front get in the way of people that have been served. There''s a lot of pushing and shoving. If there was to be an emergency then I am sure that people would lose their lives in the ensuing chaos. Sort it out NCFC!

Just do what the Jarrold do: head out a full 5 minutes before the break. That way you only annoy people along your row.Get to see the crossbar challenge, too. Sorted!

I never get up until the whistle sounds for the end of the half. I go to watch the game not the back of someone''s head in a queue.

[quote user="deltic31"]Just do what the Jarrold do: head out a full 5 minutes before the break. That way you only annoy people along your row.Get to see the crossbar challenge, too. Sorted! I never get up until the whistle sounds for the end of the half. I go to watch the game not the back of someone''s head in a queue.[/quote]

Then don''t queue up then. Take something along in your bag to eat or drink at half time. You think it''s a pain in The Barclay? You should''ve seen the absolute shambles at Craven Cottage.

Considering they have a window of 25 minutes (give or take) to serve over a thousand people between about 20 of them, I think they do a pretty damn good job.

I have been to many away grounds that employ a barrier system so that there is a definite queue and they are much quicker than the shambles that is the Barclay. I have been to Craven Cottage last season and thought that it was not too bad!

Maybe it was just this year that was a major ball@che then as it was the height of summer and we were getting thumped. Haha.

I agree that there are some better organised grounds but it does depend on what fans are there on any given day. Wigan have the barriers but on that particular day our away fans decided to duck under and climb over wherever they could to try and get a beer. I guess it''s just always going to be a pain when you have that many people trying to get served by that few.

The trouble is Deltic 31 that when Chase built the Barclay stand the upper section was designed for the away side fans and did not have such good facilities as the lower which was for home supporters.

However opposing fans were chucking stuff onto Home fans down below and so the away area was moved elsewhere.

[quote user="deltic31"]Does anyone else think that the organisation of this is c r a p. People trying to get to the front get in the way of people that have been served. There''s a lot of pushing and shoving. If there was to be an emergency then I am sure that people would lose their lives in the ensuing chaos. Sort it out NCFC![/quote]

Not bothered. Take my own. I think it is pretty poor to have just one hand drier in the toilets for several hundred people. Surely this must contravene some health requirements?

That is exactly right Surfbird.

With out stirring it up, but Mr Chase did not have a great record on ground development design. Twas he that decided the City Stand was plenty big enough. I understand that it would have been smaller than that until Mr Jones got an increased capacity.

My seat is in the Upper Barclay and the conditions for

access to facilities is an absolute disgrace and a potential danger. I seem to recall Mr McNally is aware of these conditions and that of the N&P stand and will be trying to improve where possible.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]That is exactly right Surfbird. With out stirring it up, but Mr Chase did not have a great record on ground development design. Twas he that decided the City Stand was plenty big enough. I understand that it would have been smaller than that until Mr Jones got an increased capacity. My seat is in the Upper Barclay and the conditions for access to facilities is an absolute disgrace and a potential danger. I seem to recall Mr McNally is aware of these conditions and that of the N&P stand and will be trying to improve where possible.[/quote]

Not saying we should have them ,but what do people think about having vending machines dotted about, with a steward on hand of coarse

Pete, as we know, the main problem is the narrow space in that area. In most away grounds I have visited there is at the very least twice the depth of area.

I feel sorry for the staff at half time. Too many people crammed in too little space. I am one of the biggest critics of the stupid over zealous H & S regime we have suffered in this country but there is a real problem here.

[quote user="Surfbird"]The trouble is Deltic 31 that when Chase built the Barclay stand the upper section was designed for the away side fans and did not have such good facilities as the lower which was for home supporters. However opposing fans were chucking stuff onto Home fans down below and so the away area was moved elsewhere.[/quote]

Apart from  the upper Barclay being used for a cup game v Coventry i don''t think it was ever used for visiting fans on any other occassion.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]That is exactly right Surfbird. With out stirring it up, but Mr Chase did not have a great record on ground development design. Twas he that decided the City Stand was plenty big enough. I understand that it would have been smaller than that until Mr Jones got an increased capacity. [/quote]

The fire that brought about the building of the current City Stand was under Sir Arthur South not Robert Chase.

A couple points Til, unless my old very old grey matter is playing games a) Spurs supporters were housed in the Upper Barclay and various matter was thrown on our supporters below and b) Robert Chase was either Chairman and Jones Vice Chairman when the final decision as to the size was made or I really am going round the twist as Mrs BY has insisted for many moons:-)

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]That is exactly right Surfbird. With out stirring it up, but Mr Chase did not have a great record on ground development design. Twas he that decided the City Stand was plenty big enough. I understand that it would have been smaller than that until Mr Jones got an increased capacity. [/quote]

The fire that brought about the building of the current City Stand was under Sir Arthur South not Robert Chase.

[/quote]

Poor Sir Arthur. He must have had a hot bum. Chase would have never been able to cope with the heat.

Now, seriously folks, you need to take a page out of your forefathers customs. They knew and understood if you were interested in food, drink and hygiene then you didn''t go to a football match  for under a couple of hours to seek them. What a bunch of complainers. What would you do if war and rationiong came to your doorstep?

The cost of catering at grounds these days is a rip-off. I prefer to use off-ground providers. Yankee is right (I can''t quite believe I''ve written that) that you fdon''t go to football for an epicurian experience.

[quote user="Real Dr Crafty BSc PhD DipEM "]The cost of catering at grounds these days is a rip-off. I prefer to use off-ground providers. Yankee is right (I can''t quite believe I''ve written that) that you fdon''t go to football for an epicurian experience.[/quote]

Perhaps you should pay attention to me more often, Doctor, and you will be able to put some more letters at the end of your name ( without commas, of course ).

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Wasn''t the eventual chosen construction of the Jarrold, the ''frugal'' option? [/quote]

No.

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure that one of the ''design options'' had a lot more seats?.......But the ''less seats'' option, was (after those archaeologists had finished prodding around where the foundations were to be laid) was then rubber-stamped......and built by Carters.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Wasn''t the eventual chosen construction of the Jarrold, the ''frugal'' option? [/quote]

No.

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure that one of the ''design options'' had a lot more seats?.......But the ''less seats'' option, was (after those archaeologists had finished prodding around where the foundations were to be laid) was then rubber-stamped......and built by Carters.....

[/quote]

One design was for more, but one was for less. The board gave themselves three options, of roughly staying at 4,000, which by your definition would be the frugal option, doubling to 8,000, or trebling to 12,000. They rejected the frugal option, and the most expensive option, and went for the middle course of doubling. And a very sensible decison it was too; we couldn''t have afforded to treble.

[quote user="TheRock"]Go to Morrisons before the game. More choice and cheaper.
[/quote]

Or even take some food and drink with you when you leave the house.