Sign in to follow this  
Militant Canary

Jacob Mulenga

Heard somewhere that we were in for him. Heard somewhere else that the deal was basically done and dusted. Then I find this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20812630

Good player and just the sort that we need, I think. Only immediate drawback is his involvement in the African Cup of Nations.

I want to apologise beforehand in the very likely event that this information is utterly incorrect- just relaying what I''d heard.

Just to follow on, I have also heard rumours linking us to Emmanuel Riviere and Benjamin Sulimani.

Again, as a disclaimer, I apologise in the very likely event that this info is wrong.

Can not see the point in buying him in Jan because he is off to the Africa Cup of Nations, we need a striker that can make an impact now.

It''s a shame he will be going to the African Cup of Nations, but also if Holt stays injury free it might not be the worst thing. It''ll give him time to settle before the summer.

Along similar lines, i think we need to have a gamble at Leonard Kweuke, robust centre forward for sparta prague and Cameroon. (Yes i play FIFA and FM but still...) He''d know where the back of the net is and still young and would work his socks off.

Without wanting to sound racist, we could do with a big black lad up front, i have known for a while (since Etuhu) how much we had missed it in the middle until Tettey arrived and Bassong has been magnificent. In general, they provide a solid, strong foundation.

Not racist, JS. In fact, you point out the biggest problem facing the development of young African footballing talent- the preference in Europe for Africans that are big, powerful and fast physical specimens, rather than the smaller finesse footballer.

Back on topic, I have suggested Kweuke in the past. Good player and looking for a move. Also knows Bassong quite well, so an advantage in terms of player integration.

I have also suggested Kim Ojo, who is looking to be sold this January. Top scorer in Norway with quite a few assists (which is really impressive). Has recently been voted best player in Norway and won player of the season for Brann.

Whats interesting about Ojo is that he seems to be a footballer that knows what he wants (to develop as a footballer) and knows what to look for in order to get it. He has said that he has an ambition to play under Mourinho, which is a sign of an intelligent man, and would love to play for Inter.

Genk in Belgium met Brann''s asking price (about £1.5 million) and he went there to view the facilities. He didn''t like what he saw and left. I do believe that Genk will be playing in Europe next season (I could be wrong), so, like I say, he knows what he is looking for. Hughton and Norwich could be perfect for him.

The window must be looming because suddenly this board is again being inundated with a host of unknown strange foreign named players that I have never heard of.

This is not meant to be critical as I admire some poster''s greater knowledge of the game than mine. It''s just a case of constant confusion.

Having said that I had not heard of Tettey before (who had?) so let''s hope for a forward of his ilk from distant lands in January. We missed out on Jack Smith after all.

I hadn''t heard of Tettey before his arrival, but it was logical that a player of Tettey''s type was needed.

Equally, the same reasoning can be applied to our needs this transfer window. All it takes is a look around and a bit of research to come up with a list of possibles- although, I would recommend actually seeing these players in action first.

What both gets my goat and leaves me perplexed are the consistent calls among some fans for a big-name. Why do we need that? Stewart Downing commands a bigger name and more respect than the entirety of our squad, yet he''s still s**t. I''d rather we got someone good and who will only get better.

It''s simple, really: Reputation/pedigree does not in itself represent quality. Likewise, £5 million cleverly spent is better than £20 million badly spent.

Not sure what point I''m trying to make. Just happy about the Villa settlement, I think.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

The window must be looming because suddenly this board is again being inundated with a host of unknown strange foreign named players that I have never heard of.

This is not meant to be critical as I admire some poster''s greater knowledge of the game than mine. It''s just a case of constant confusion.

Having said that I had not heard of Tettey before (who had?) so let''s hope for a forward of his ilk from distant lands in January. We missed out on Jack Smith after all.

[/quote] I''d heard of Tettey he played for a reasonably large team in a major league when we signed, probably the equivalent to signing Sandro at Spurs in terms of the size of club and quality of player.

That goal was in 2009. He''s developed as a player and is better all-round.

Hell of a goal, though. And its a mark of a good striker that, whilst his first touch may not be the best, he readjusts himself in order to score. The best of them do that all the time (RVP, Suarez etc*).

* Not saying he is as good or better, of course. Merely drawing relevant comparisons.

He seems like an Odemwingie-esque player in hat he can play on either wing and also upfront as a striker but can greatly contribute to play from both positions

Also his interviews are quite impressive too as he really does seem like a genuinely nice and pleasant bloke

One thing I would say is that if we did sign him is that I wouldn''t want him to be the only striker we signed, although I think he could potentially be an excellent signing all in all

" Kim Ojo, who is looking to be sold this January. Top scorer in Norway .."

Great shout Militant ; he''ll do nicely.

Already wears the colors and scored against Chelskie apparently :-)

http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/norsk/1-divisjon/artikkel.php?artid=10017268

He looks to have the physical attributes i also would like two signings.

One powerhouse, mobile striker to give competition for Holt.

An another ultra fast striker more of a wildcard like Nahki Wells.

I rate Jackson but as a Championship player he does not have the technique and or raw pace to be the nippy plan B in the premiership.

I also like Nahki Wells. What I have seen and heard, I have been impressed with. We have also been tenuously linked with him in certain circles- I say ''tenuously'' because he''s been linked with a move to a lot of clubs, but nothing caste iron and nothing from what could be termed a ''reputable source''.

I think, on current form, he will one day be ready for the Premier League, but not yet. Move in the summer, perhaps? Would certainly link in well with Jackson''s eventual departure (Jackson out of contract in June- probably return to Canada/USA in order to open his Soccer School in Ontario. His way of giving back to the country that did so much for him and his family. Nice guy, eh!).

Only things I''ve found are this:- http://www.daily-mail.co.zm/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=680:jacob-says-he-is-fit&Itemid=190that article calls him ''injury-prone'', which isn''t great, but then he mentions artificial grass not being good for him so maybe he''d be fine here. and this:-http://www.daily-mail.co.zm/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=722:utrecht-to-offload-%E2%80%98overpaid%E2%80%99-jacob&Itemid=190this article states Mulenga and another player will be leaving to reduce the wage bill as there are economic problems at the club (and in other clubs in the Eredivisie) and he''s one of the top earners. It also says he''ll be leaving in the winter transfer window..

F C Utrecht striker Said to be In Norwich

F C Utrecht  striker Jacob Mulenga (Zambia)  has been heavily linked with a move to English Premier league side Norwich, Zambianfootball.co.zm understands.

The 28 year old target man is rumoured to be in England undergoing medicals and could be in the stands tomorrow to watch Norwich at Carrow Road when they host champions Manchester City.

Six days ago, Jacob hinted on a move to England in an interview with the BBC

The 28 year-old is currently top scorer for Utrecht in the Dutch Eredivisie. with a reported 25 goal in 56 appearences (wiki)

Perhaps we will see him in the stands tomorrow.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sports/2013-05/31/c_132422973.htm

Linked with Real Sociedad and we also get a mention. Recycled news?