Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

FA Youth Cup: Norwich U18s 1 QPR U18s 0

I gave my ticket to the poor old biddy two doors down. She doesn''t get out much and while she was there I dug her garden and painted her front room. I hope you all notice what a benevolent and selfless person I am or this post will be wasted...

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]On a bitterly cold night a few faithful city fans saw the City U18s beat QPR U18s 1-0 tonight at Carrow Rd.[/quote]Cor, they''re well ''ard innit?

Dunno Puss. But I''ve been put in loads of these groups over the years. KTF, Deliarite, Lunatic Tendancy, Korean Communist Party, Happy Clappers, Inner Circle, Desperados and far too many more to remember. Do I seem traumatised by it[:^)] I love it[:D][Y]

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

On a bitterly cold night a few faithful city fans saw the City U18s beat QPR U18s 1-0 tonight at Carrow Rd.

[/quote]Medals all round for the brave spectators.

Without wishing to engage, or indeed understand, the disputes which seem to pervade many threads on this forum, I thought the OP was entirely valid, a good news story from our youth team. Hopefully, more supporters will show up for the next round should we drawn at home. Remember watching the Youth Cup final at the Carra back in the early 80s which we won (can''t remember against who now!) would be great if we could repeat this.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Without wishing to engage, or indeed understand, the disputes which seem to pervade many threads on this forum, I thought the OP was entirely valid, a good news story from our youth team. Hopefully, more supporters will show up for the next round should we drawn at home. Remember watching the Youth Cup final at the Carra back in the early 80s which we won (can''t remember against who now!) would be great if we could repeat this.[/quote]

This is a strange place isn''t it Highland that''s for sure! The only post last night with any details from the match seems to have been deleted. The gist of it was that the Murphy twins played well. It was Jacob who crossed for King''s goal but the old biddy two doors down made Josh MOM. The other posts concerning the game appeared to be weather reports and I prefer the young ladies on TV to posters on here for that service[;)]

I remember that Youth Cup win and and those games against Everton. We thought we''d be made for years with so many promising youngsters and we even signed Everton''s goalscorer Mark Farrington on top! But in reality only Spearing, Goss, Donowa, Clayton, Godbold, Crowe  and Rigby played for the first team (and of course Farrington) and arguably none of them reached their potential. Of course it may be possible that win raised the standard because it heralded our most successful 10 years. Dave Stringer was the successful youth team manager and he went on to build our finest ever first team.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Without wishing to engage, or indeed understand, the disputes which seem to pervade many threads on this forum, I thought the OP was entirely valid, a good news story from our youth team. Hopefully, more supporters will show up for the next round should we drawn at home. Remember watching the Youth Cup final at the Carra back in the early 80s which we won (can''t remember against who now!) would be great if we could repeat this.[/quote]

This is a strange place isn''t it Highland that''s for sure! The only post last night with any details from the match seems to have been deleted. The gist of it was that the Murphy twins played well. It was Jacob who crossed for King''s goal but the old biddy two doors down made Josh MOM. The other posts concerning the game appeared to be weather reports and I prefer the young ladies on TV to posters on here for that service[;)]

I remember that Youth Cup win and and those games against Everton. We thought we''d be made for years with so many promising youngsters and we even signed Everton''s goalscorer Mark Farrington on top! But in reality only Spearing, Goss, Donowa, Clayton, Godbold, Crowe  and Rigby played for the first team (and of course Farrington) and arguably none of them reached their potential. Of course it may be possible that win raised the standard because it heralded our most successful 10 years. Dave Stringer was the successful youth team manager and he went on to build our finest ever first team.

[/quote]

As youth teams go that is not a bad average in terms of players training on. Spearing, Goss and Donowa had decent careers. I have no idea but I wonder how many of the Everton team made it at the senior level.

I agree Purple. But we all thought differently then. Your point needs to be remembered by those who continually slag off the academy. We have a good record of players progressing to the first team even with the travelling restrictions of recent years.

It was over three games wasn''t it-level after the two legged final so they flicked a coin for the venue of the third match, Everton won that and we won, finally, 1-0. Got all the programmes for those games kicking around somewhere.

Everton had Ian Marshall, Ian Bishop and John Morrissey in their side, all of whom went onto have decent careers in the game.

[quote user="paul ncfc"]We beat Everton over two legs and in the summer signed their striker Mark Farrington .[/quote].didn''t rosario score?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

It was over three games wasn''t it-level after the two legged final so they flicked a coin for the venue of the third match, Everton won that and we won, finally, 1-0. Got all the programmes for those games kicking around somewhere.

Everton had Ian Marshall, Ian Bishop and John Morrissey in their side, all of whom went onto have decent careers in the game.

[/quote]

Interesting. Thanks. In The Norwich City Story book there is a picture of our squad. The names are:

Brendan McIntyre, Mark Crowe, Jon Rigby, John Waddell, Paul Clayton, Daryl Godbold, Harvey Simpson, Matthew Spillman, Tony Spearing, Jeremy Goss, Neil Riley, Austin O''Connor, Andrew Pearce, Paul Kinnaird, Louie Donowa and Mark Metcalf.

Thanks Nutty and Purple. It''s all coming back now!. A few of those players did come through. Loved the Donowa/Channon interactions which were to come! Louie never seemed to cross the ball quite where Channon wanted it

I remember decades ago a paper (the Mail?) examined the old saying about youth players costing a nothing in comparison to what then seemed like huge transfer fees. They took one year''s intake at Arsenal and followed it through, seeing how many players dropped out each year, but also costed it, taking into accounts the wages of coaches, accommodation etc etc etc.

And of that year two or three players eventually made a few appearances before going to lower division clubs. Most never made it at all. Only one became a first-team regular, and if you took the whole cost over the three or four years he turned out pretty expensive. But he was Charlie George and so worth it. And having a youth team meant he ended up at Arsenal rather than any other London club.