Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Director of Football

If the board are adament that they want to keep Hughton he clearly needs some help. His tactics/ transfer dealing etc so far have IMO been below the required standard.

Should the club bring in a DOF with experience that can help him improve the performance of the team on the pitch and at the same time help with the selection of new talent at the club. I am thinking of someone like Rafa Benitiz or that kind of person.

Something needs to change if sacking Hughton is not popular then maybe this is the solution

I think once the players come round to hughtons way of thinking they''ll be just fine. There has been a big shift in terms of the style of football which I believe the players are still adapting too

What''s the point in bringing another person onto the payroll which will surely have an impact on our transfer dealings in January

I can see your viewpoint, I hope you can see mine.

I will ignore the trolling side of this post but answer what I feel is an important point.

I am a big fan of clubs having Directors of Football and feel it is something Norwich have been lacking - a good DOF means a club can adapt to change quicker and can provide a long-term vision rather than the short-termism nearly every manager lives in. I personally believe this is the kind of work Gary Karsa was doing at Norwich before moving off with Lambert, he does all the overseeing and boring work that a manager shouldn''t be getting involved with.

A lot of WBA''s success has been accredited to Dan Ashworth and Chelsea certainly suffered after Frank Arnsen left not to be replaced. It doesn''t always work of course - but you would be hard pressed to find a top club in Europe who doesn''t have one.

My desire for a Director of Football has nothing to do with Hughton''s start (which I still don''t think is as bad as many on here like to make out) but has been a long held belief.

[quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

If the board are adament that they want to keep Hughton he clearly needs some help. His tactics/ transfer dealing etc so far have IMO been below the required standard.

Should the club bring in a DOF with experience that can help him improve the performance of the team on the pitch and at the same time help with the selection of new talent at the club. I am thinking of someone like Rafa Benitiz or that kind of person.

Something needs to change if sacking Hughton is not popular then maybe this is the solution

[/quote]

A more than decent idea that, but the Hoots needs a bit longer (Xmas?) to justify his own credentials IMO.

I would not see it as a managerial failure though, more in recognition of the fact that he has IMO one of the hardest jobs in the whole League at the moment, and it was made even moreso by the instant derailment of his plans at Craven Cottage. Taking over from a dem-god in such circumstances is never easy either. It fact it is a very difficult ask, particularly as it involvesd probably one of the worst starts ever in the managerial career of any City manager. The mountain suddenly got higher, player''s cofidence dented and fans imediately critcal of every little thing.

We are not the wealthiest of Premiership clubs as we are well aware and this, along with our squad lacking sufficient players of the highest quality means that we were always vulnerable to ''second season syndrome,'' being ''found out'' or whatever else makes up the package of the recently promoted. Many on here were expressing doubts about our chances this season under Lambo, I seem to remember.

We have a good footballing man with a wealth of experience at the top level. He deserves much more time, a lot more luck, perhaps the assist mentioned by Ting Tong and decent funds to buy that striker.

I remain quietly confident, clearly others do not. 

[quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

[/quote][IMG]http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu276/Canary2345/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-real-or-seeking-attention-0ee4f0.jpg[/IMG]

I would imagine that finding a GOOD Director of football would be just as difficult, if not more so, than locating a good manager.......leave well alone.

If someone would like to expalin what a "Director of Football" does rather than leech a wage sitting in an office drinking tea then let me know..they dont pick the team, they don’t deal in transfers.. whats the bloody point?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]If someone would like to expalin what a "Director of Football" does rather than leech a wage sitting in an office drinking tea then let me know..they dont pick the team, they don’t deal in transfers.. whats the bloody point?[/quote]
It''s hard to explain as different clubs allow them to perform in different ways. Most English clubs have a director of football who acts as a go between for the board and manager. He works closely with the manager in deciding transfer policy and contract negotiation. He may also run the clubs scouting network, the youth and reserve team development, and allow the coaches to focus on their respective teams and their performance. Essentially, he does all the explaining to the board whilst the manager does his job. As Bethnal says, they often have a long term view when compared with the manager and many will stay around to see several managers tenure (they are also involved in the process of finding a new head coach/manager).
I would only instill a director of football if Hughton was comfortable with it though. If the Coach/Manager are not particularly keen on sharing some responsibilities with their director, then there''s no point in having one. 

Yet another thread purely designed to encourage the slagging of Chris Hughton. Some of you really need to take a look at yourselves, take a reality tablet is respect of Norwich City and at the very least give him enough time before sticking the knife in as though he has committed some serious crime against society.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Yet another thread purely designed to encourage the slagging of Chris Hughton. Some of you really need to take a look at yourselves, take a reality tablet is respect of Norwich City and at the very least give him enough time before sticking the knife in as though he has committed some serious crime against society.[/quote]

Some might have that intent, but as I opined above**, I see the wider picture. I''m with the Hoots all the way but it is a tough, tough job he has had on his hands since day one.

** "I would not see it as a managerial failure though, more in recognition of the fact that he has IMO one of the hardest jobs in the whole League at the moment, and it was made even moreso by the instant derailment of his plans at Craven Cottage. Taking over from a dem-god in such circumstances is never easy either." etc. etc.

I see it as a realistic proposal should things  remain difficult by Xmas. This is not intended as a dig at Hughton, but more as a practical step in order to relieve the pressure. He may not want it in any case.

Didn''t something similar happen at Middlesborough a few years back to aid Robson. That failed though. May be my memory is mistaken, again.

[quote user="If we''d only kept Howie.."]

Which transfer dealings?

The ones that were agreed before he joined us? Or the ones after? Either way - the manager DOES NOT make "transfer dealings".

Time will tell on tactics - IMO parachuting in a DOF will only make the situation worse.

[/quote

He commences the ''transfer dealing'' process by nominating the players he would like to recruit - like Michael Turner...