Sign in to follow this  
TheRock

Zaha called up for ENG/SWE game

Just confirmed on SSN.This means that the current forwards in the squad are:-Wilfried Zaha Daniel SturridgeDanny Welbeck

I am happy that he is getting a chance with the full squad. He is evidently a very special talent and it is nice to see that talent recognised regardless of what division he is playing in.

[quote user="TheRock"]Im shocked that we''ve actually called someone up that doesn''t play for a "Big 6" club. [:O] [/quote]

Jay Bothroyd ? XD

Lets not forget Zaha has played consistently well for the U21''s up until this point, so he warrants a call no doubt.

As for Defoe, I guess as it''s only a friendly they are trying other things/younger players? Considering this is something people were asking for a few years back, at least Roy is making some changes

Bothroyd''s selection was a fair one at the time. Virtually any English striker of any repute in the Premier League had fallen down injured and Bothroyd had scored about 19 goals in 19 games for Cardiff at that point. So he was worth a call up.

And the insanity continues...I''m all for building for the future but this is getting silly. The idea that Defoe isn''t good enough but Zaha and Sturridge are is truly ridiculous.Next we''ll be seeing the likes of Barkley and Powell getting their calls...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]And the insanity continues...I''m all for building for the future but this is getting silly.

The idea that Defoe isn''t good enough but Zaha and Sturridge are is truly ridiculous.

Next we''ll be seeing the likes of Barkley and Powell getting their calls...
[/quote]

Defoe is injured.

Getting Zaha (born in Ivory Coast) and Jenkinson (represented Finland at youth level) into the England setup early is a wise move for players who obviously have bright futures.

Friendlies are there for experimenting - nothing to be learnt from giving older players another game.

Good post Bethnal, I''m still sick over Victor Moses.. I''m gutted he chose Nigeria over England.. I think it was probably a case of first come first served.

Well Indy that is building for the future.

Hodgson selection policy is all over the place to be honest, Osman probably deserves a call up, but why now?

Its wrong to completely write off a tournament, but if we win in Brazil it''ll be as big an achievement as Greece winning Euro 04. Spain are too good, Germany very strong, Brazil on home turf with players like Neymar and Oscar amongst many others really coming on now.

So me might as well aim for Euro 2016, get the likes of Zaha, Rodwell, Smalling, Jones, Wilshere, Sturridge maybe even the likes of Barkley and Powell in the England set up as soon as possible, get them playing together, in a system that works.

Its no good deciding in three years that 5/6 of these young players are suddenly good enough and throwing them in the deep end. International squads don''t have much time together, wasting time playing the likes of Defoe, Terry (well not anymore), Gerrard, Lampard, Cole etc may get results in friendlies and qualifiers, but on the whole we aren''t playing great football and half our team will be in their early/mid thirties by the World cup if we stick with all the old boys.

Its fine to keep a few in their, we still want to qualify for the World Cup. But if Defoe isn''t going to be first choice, why not give Zaha a go? If Lampard or Gerrard aren''t going to be good enough or fit enough for the World cup, why not give Rodwell a go? Glen Johnson, is he really good enough to keep Walker and Jenkinson out now, or in a year or so?

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Glen Johnson, is he really good enough to keep Walker and Jenkinson out now, or in a year or so?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

Its wrong to completely write off a tournament[/quote]But that''s exactly what these sort of selections are saying, "We can''t win in Brazil, so let''s focus on the Euro''s", and that''s completely the wrong approach IMHO and frankly it angers me somewhat.[quote]Its no good deciding in three years that 5/6 of these young players are suddenly good enough and throwing them in the deep end.[/quote]How would it be the deep end? If they were good enough they should be able to perform, and if not, they shouldn''t be there anyway.We simply cannot predict whether or not players like Zaha, Sterling and similar are going to continue improving and prove to be good enough, or whether they''ll drop off and end up in the lower prem/ccc, and I''d rather they spent another year or two developing and giving us a much clearer indication of this, than select them now and find out that in 4-5 years time they''re simply not good enough and we''ve wasted squad spaces for years to accomodate this...[quote]Half our team will be in their early/mid thirties by the World cup if we stick with all the old boys.

Its fine to keep a few in their, we still want to qualify for the World Cup. But if Defoe isn''t going to be first choice, why not give Zaha a go? If Lampard or Gerrard aren''t going to be good enough or fit enough for the World cup, why not give Rodwell a go? Glen Johnson, is he really good enough to keep Walker and Jenkinson out now, or in a year or so?[/quote]I don''t have an issue with selecting younger players, it''s with selecting players who aren''t even proven in the prem yet, never mind internationally. Zaha may go on to be the next Owen or Rooney, but at the minute he''s doing virtually nothing in a side who are currently top of the CCC and have scored more at home than other side in the league!There has to be a sensible blend of experience and potential and we''re going from one extreme to the other. Logically I''d select the best player in each position and then a younger understudy (unless we had none, they weren''t good enough or we had two world class ''older'' players). So the squad would look something like:GK: Hart, Ruddy, ForsterLB: Baines, Gibbs/BertrandRB: Walker, G.JohnsonCB: Cahill, Lescott, Jones, SmallingCM: Gerrard, Wilshere, Milner, Rodwell, CleverleyWG: A.Johnson, N.Dyer, Lennon, Oxlade-ChamberlainCF: Holt/Carroll, Graham, Walcott, RooneyThat gives you youth, experience, pace, power, guile and drive. Then as players like Gerrard drop out, then younger players can come in as needed.That sort of selection would give as a good side for Brazil whilst laying the foundations for the 2016 Euro''s, instead of discarding the World Cup (I mean SERIOUSLY?) and focusing too much on the 18-21 year olds.

I''m guessing the people dismissing Zaha haven''t seen him play (although Bethnal is right, it is also a counter move to the Ivory Coast and Drogba trying to entice him to play in the African Cup of Nations).

He''ll be in the Premiership by the end of January though, for a lot of money.

His teammate, Bolasie, might be worth looking at for us.

Did you seriously just say zahas doing nothing. Is that a joke. He''s tearing up the championship. Probably the main reason they are top.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
Zaha may go on to be the next Owen or Rooney, but at the minute he''s doing virtually nothing in a side who are currently top of the CCC and have scored more at home than other side in the league!
[/quote]

Don''t know if you earn all the rave reviews he has, get linked to big clubs he is or get in the England squad if you''re doing "virtually nothing". But perhaps you''ve only looked to see that he''s scored 3 or 4 goals and that''s what you''re basing your opinion on?

He''s a very good player, improving all the time. He caused us all sorts of problems at Carrow Road a couple of years ago when he was virtually unheard of and he''s only got better and better since then.

Makes sense to get him in the England squad, especially if it keeps him away from the Ivory Coast setup.

Ignoring the Zaha thing, I completely agree with Indy''s last post, it isn''t acceptable to just give up on a major tournament. Youth is all very well but youth for youths sake is not going to help. I can see another golden generation coming - we hype all these players up, write off Brazil for them as practice and then if/when we don''t get anywhere its deja vu. Ability before potential for me.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well Indy that is building for the future. Hodgson selection policy is all over the place to be honest, Osman probably deserves a call up, but why now? Its wrong to completely write off a tournament, but if we win in Brazil it''ll be as big an achievement as Greece winning Euro 04. Spain are too good, Germany very strong, Brazil on home turf with players like Neymar and Oscar amongst many others really coming on now. So me might as well aim for Euro 2016, get the likes of Zaha, Rodwell, Smalling, Jones, Wilshere, Sturridge maybe even the likes of Barkley and Powell in the England set up as soon as possible, get them playing together, in a system that works. Its no good deciding in three years that 5/6 of these young players are suddenly good enough and throwing them in the deep end. International squads don''t have much time together, wasting time playing the likes of Defoe, Terry (well not anymore), Gerrard, Lampard, Cole etc may get results in friendlies and qualifiers, but on the whole we aren''t playing great football and half our team will be in their early/mid thirties by the World cup if we stick with all the old boys. Its fine to keep a few in their, we still want to qualify for the World Cup. But if Defoe isn''t going to be first choice, why not give Zaha a go? If Lampard or Gerrard aren''t going to be good enough or fit enough for the World cup, why not give Rodwell a go? Glen Johnson, is he really good enough to keep Walker and Jenkinson out now, or in a year or so?[/quote]

I think that I have just discovered the definition of optimism.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Glen Johnson, is he really good enough to keep Walker and Jenkinson out now, or in a year or so?[/quote]

Yes.

[/quote]

No