Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Does Hughton know his best team yet?

No i do not think he does. Also a manager will change players and formations to match different opponents. I have been a big supporter of his and hope results start to change but the signs are not good. when you look back to preseason the general performances were not encouraging, Celtic apart. Even in the cup games wehave scraped through against very modest opposition. We stayed up last season by being very good at beating teams in the bottom half of the table. To date we have only played 2 such teams and we should have won both and if we had been a bit more adventurous we probably would have. There is time and fixtures to put this right but for everyones sake improvement needs to start happening soon. Anything fromChelseas and arsenal games would be a bonus, then we get into the business end of fixtures where we need to get pints with the Villa and Stoke games

All managers tinker Wazzy. Lambert probably more than Hughton. Didn''t we start last season with Holt & Martin and then Morison on his own and then Holt & Morison and we never seemed to play the same back four.

Hughton has been unlucky with Bassong''s injury because it had started to look like he had a good back 5 which is nearly half the team and where a team should be built from. But losing one player shouldn''t make such a difference. I think it will be a while before he knows what his best midfield is and we have good players coming back from injury. We all need to find out what combination is the most effective. He, like Lambert doesn''t seem to have a preference who plays up top and seems quite happy, again like Lambert, to rotate it.

RuddyWhittaker  Barnett Bassong GarridoE. Bennett Tetty Butterfield Pilkington            Holt Jackson.

Could be seen as a potential top line up (with due consideration to R. Martin and Snodgrass) only 4 of which were in the starting line up yesterday. 

I suspect not, to judge from his unwillingness to change the team and tactics to nullify opponent strengths and explouit their weknesses.

Spot on Nutty. I can remember many times over the last 3 seasons when the team sheet appeared and hearing comments of amazement and disbelief at Lamberts selections - and I think there may have even been a few comments on here querying whether Lambo knew what his best line up was. He was brilliant for us and it worked most of the time but selections and tactics were not always to everyone''s liking. Truth is that managers see the players in training and have information about injuries that we dont have but that info would make some of those decisions make more sense to us. Also Managers may have a preferred line up in mind but not be able to play that one because some players are not fit etc. Also managers may rotate the squad for other reasons.Lambert worked with most of those players for a while and was well aware what they could - and could not - do well, which combinations work best etc . I suspect Hughton is still on that journey. Some key players havent played yet this season - I hope that when they are available we may be able to see a more consistent pattern - though I''m sure there will still be the usual routine changes for injury, form and tactics.Still we all know what the best line up is don''t we !!!Geeked [8-|]

Doubt it, most managers would struggle to name their ''best'' team if they were asked that question straight, they''d ask for more information such as what opposition are we playing, what are the opponents strengths and weaknesses, what''s the condition of the pitch and what''s the weather like etc. Modern day football is alot more than just picking the best 11 players available and putting them in a formation. Hughton has 25 players available for selection, some are first team quality, others are there purely as back-ups. It''s his job to select the best 18 available for match-day with regards to the opposition and the conditions they face as well as their individual ability. If I was picking our most talented 11, we would be out-muscled and outran in the midfield as we tried to fit Pilkington, Snodgrass,  E.Bennett, Fox and Hoolahan all into the same team.
Squad rotation is exceedingly important in the modern game as this article highlights:

he probably thinks he does, at least the core, his back 4 is settled and once bassong is fit I think we can predict what 8 of his preferred team with be, the back 5 with howson, johnson & snodgrass who have been ever present.

what formation has yet to be decided hence the changing personnel in those positions

[quote user="lake district canary"]                 RuddyWhittaker  Barnett Bassong GarridoE. Bennett Tetty Butterfield Pilkington            Holt Jackson. Could be seen as a potential top line up (with due consideration to R. Martin and Snodgrass) only 4 of which were in the starting line up yesterday[/quote]You mean:Ruddy,Injured, Barnett, Injured, GarridoJust Back from Injury, Not Fully Match Fit, Just Back from Injury, InjuredHolt, Can''t hit a cow''s arse with a Banjo

[quote user="lake district canary"]                 Ruddy
Whittaker  Barnett Bassong Garrido
E. Bennett Tetty Butterfield Pilkington
            Holt Jackson.

Could be seen as a potential top line up (with due consideration to R. Martin and Snodgrass) only 4 of which were in the starting line up yesterday.

[/quote]

Agreed wholeheartedly!!  Just the sight of wingers and pace makes my heart beat stronger.

Obviously Hughton does not and cannot know his best team. He knows his ideal team but that is different. Several players are not available. You never know what partnerships work until you try them so he may prefer say Tettey and Howson but Johnson''s partnership with Howson could be stronger and that would change his best team. We know he''d like to play a 4-2-3-1 formation

It is trial and error and it is circumstance. Hughton put out his best team to play Liverpool from the available players. What else could any manager do? We all have our own ideas but when you look at it objectively,Hughton''s team at kickoff made sense.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

It strikes me he doesn''t, nor the best formation.

This has me slightly worried as he''s had all summer to tinker with it and see who does what.

[/quote]

It seems not, but I think that he is very similar to most of the posters on here and the majority of the fans at Carrow Road each week in that.

Too many players of an equal or below par standard who are made out to be world beaters one minute and useless the next.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

All managers tinker Wazzy. Lambert probably more than Hughton. Didn''t we start last season with Holt & Martin and then Morison on his own and then Holt & Morison and we never seemed to play the same back four.

Hughton has been unlucky with Bassong''s injury because it had started to look like he had a good back 5 which is nearly half the team and where a team should be built from. But losing one player shouldn''t make such a difference. I think it will be a while before he knows what his best midfield is and we have good players coming back from injury. We all need to find out what combination is the most effective. He, like Lambert doesn''t seem to have a preference who plays up top and seems quite happy, again like Lambert, to rotate it.

[/quote]

Good back five? Have we played a back five?

[quote user="Thumbelina"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I reckon so, I''ll name if for you Smudge. Ruddy, Martin, Barnett, Bassong, Garrido. I would say that''s Lamberts preferred back five on all available evidence although I haven''t asked him. That''s 5 players or nearly half the team. And I don''t think there''s anyone injured in those positions that he''d prefer to play.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Thumbelina"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I reckon so, I''ll name if for you Smudge. Ruddy, Martin, Barnett, Bassong, Garrido. I would say that''s Lamberts preferred back five on all available evidence although I haven''t asked him. That''s 5 players or nearly half the team. And I don''t think there''s anyone injured in those positions that he''d prefer to play.

[/quote]

Hughton''s[:$]